Losing my mind over Max insisting on using the house as a toilet. At wits end

4 posters

Go down

Losing my mind over Max insisting on using the house as a toilet. At wits end  Empty Losing my mind over Max insisting on using the house as a toilet. At wits end

Post by Bladerunner Mon Jul 18 2011, 21:46

Max is now 13 weeks and although adorable in just about every aspect, he just will not stop doing wees and poos in the house. I take him out regularly (in the morning and evening and afternoons and especially just after he has eaten). When he is out he will do his toilets but does it as much inside. Whenever he isnt out on his walks I open the back door regularly so he can go out, but it still does not stop him doing it in the house instead. When he does his toiles outside I give him lots of praise but this still isnt enough to stop him doing it in the house. I have tried leaving the door open to the garden for long periods and also when that hasnt worked have kept the door shut until letting him out to do his toilets. He gives no sign that he wants to use the toilet, he just does it. I have tried the method of following him around and as soon as starts his toilets, pushing him out the door. He is just crafty and as soon as my back is turned, he does it.
Need advice guys as this is getting me down
Bladerunner
Bladerunner
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Losing my mind over Max insisting on using the house as a toilet. At wits end  Empty Re: Losing my mind over Max insisting on using the house as a toilet. At wits end

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 21:48

Best thing is just to keep at it, try taking him out every hour and keep giving him lots of praise if he does go outside. Some dogs just take alot longer then other to click on Smile

Back to top Go down

Losing my mind over Max insisting on using the house as a toilet. At wits end  Empty Re: Losing my mind over Max insisting on using the house as a toilet. At wits end

Post by Aniemother Mon Jul 18 2011, 22:03

At 13 weeks he's just a baby and you can't really expect him to understand it all yet. Just being consistent, taking him outside at least every hour + after playtime, eating or sleeping. My guy is a few weeks older than yours and I'm often outside 3-4 times in under an hour.. It gets tiresome, but it's better than the clean-up.. If I can't keep an eye on him he's either on leash (so I don't loose track of him) or in his crate or x-pen.

You could try hanging a bell by the door and pushing his paw on them every time you go outside to make it jingle. Then he might catch on that this is the way to tell you he wants to go outside.
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Summerisle Mon Jul 18 2011, 22:09

Jimi is having the exact same problem. He's 12 weeks and does exactly what Max is doing. Just need to keep at it, they'll come good.
Summerisle
Summerisle
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jimi
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 22:15

Max is still a puppy! You wouldn't expect a young baby to use the toilet at only 6 months old! Big Grin

I'd take him outside every hour. Loads of praise if he goes toilet outside. If he goes inside then don't say anything, just quietly take him outside and when you come back in, clear up the accident without a word. That way he'll associate going inside with no fuss, and going outside with loads of fuss - and we all know what staffords prefer! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 23:04

dont worry he will get there!! like everyone said, hes only a baby .. Vinnie wasnt fully house trained untill about 5-6months old .. skye is 4months old and accidents in the house altho they are happening alot less now, they still do occasionally happen.
Persistance is the key and have patience, he will be a toilet trained champ soon enough Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2011, 00:49

Patience and consitancy will pay off. He is still just a pup and doesn't have bladder control yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2011, 02:40

I was also loosing my mind, and then suddenly at 19 weeks something must have triggered in his head and he got it! haven't had an accident for over 2 weeks now!
so just be patient he'll get soon enough!

(although Russell still pees at my parent's place so working on that one.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2011, 03:58

Like the others have said....he's still just a baby.

Take him outside after eating, sleeping, drinking etc... and basically every hour or so. Place him where you would like him to "do his thing" and use a word or two that you are comfortable with ( ours is "do wees" ) When outsde and he does his business say the word/words and use lots of praise. Eventually he will learn what the words mean and do his business when you say them.
It just takes time and consistency when they are so young.
Keep going with it, and things will soon improve.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pittboss Tue Jul 19 2011, 05:51

Blue is 14 weeks and was doing well for a awhile but he has been reverting for the past 2 weeks or so.I think this is due to the amount of water and ice he is having everyday.It has been really hot lately and Blue loves his ice cubes.
Your not alone in your struggle we just have to keep working at it til they get it.
Pittboss
Pittboss

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Blue
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2011, 08:22

we took billy out in the garden every hour when he was younger and touch wood we have only had a couple of accidents since

good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19 2011, 08:23

you really need to take the cue's from him as how often u need to take him out. When i got kaos at 11 weeks he was used to just going where ever he wanted to in the house no attempt had been made to train him. Ive never known a pup wee and poo so much! I was taking him out every half an hour and he was going to the toilet every time i took him out. Do u use a crate? My crate was a god send as he hated toileting in in it. At that age i was still putting him in the crate through out the day for naps and time out from the kids and Ty for an hour or so at a time so it was teaching him to hold on. In the end he was compleatley dry for 8 hours in the night and no accidents inside at about 14/15 weeks. Dont get me wrong it is extremley time consuming and can be fustrating but whats a few weeks incovienience in the long run! lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down