+3
Jasminesmum
Sazzle
kandydragons
7 posters

Go down

At my wits end! Empty At my wits end!

Post by kandydragons Thu Nov 14 2013, 12:46

I adore Roman and most of the time he is a good boy...

But he is driving me insane.. He has the mad energy bursts where he just will not do ANYTHING I tell him to. He will chew, growl at me, bark at me and generally be naughty. When he gets like this I have no choice but t give him a "time out" by putting him in the kitchen alone and shutting the door. I leave him for a couple of minutes then allow him back in and he "usually" calms down then. Is this normal???

Also, he is VERY attached to me. I am with him 24hrs a day to be fair but he won't sleep during the day unless its on the sofa cuddling me which is a pain. If I have stuff to do then he just wont sleep and gets naughty. I try and take a bath and because Im not with him he will again be naughty and steal washing or chew etc and will not leave me alone.

Obviously I need to teach him to not rely on me so much but how?! I want to get a crate just so I can have a 5 min breather (I am 5 months pregnant) but my other half is dead against them and thinks they are cruel. Ive tried telling him I crate trained my labrador when I was with my ex husband but he just will not listen to me.

Toilet training... well hes not going outside yet as not had his 2nd jab but Im trying to paper train him (paper is by the door he will eventually use to go out). Now I would say 80% of the time he goes on the paper. However when he is being naughty he will just pee anywhere. Is he just doing that for attention??

EDIT: forgot to say he is 11 weeks old on Saturday

kandydragons
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Roman
Dog(s) Ages : 31st August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

At my wits end! Empty Re: At my wits end!

Post by Sazzle Thu Nov 14 2013, 12:54

This is all completely normal! Giving him a time out is a good idea, keep doing that,consistency is key Smile 

When used correctly crates are not cruel at all, personally I have not used one but lots of members who do will be able to give advise.

It is definitely going to be better in the long run if you can teach him top be less dependant on you, start by just leaving him in another room for a few minutes and build the time up gradually, you'll get there, he's still very young Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Nov 14 2013, 12:55

Have a look at this for crate training

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/crate_training
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kandydragons Thu Nov 14 2013, 12:59

The main reasons I want a crate is so that a) I can have a breather when needed and b) so that Roman has his own space when baby comes that he can retreat to safely.
When hes not being a terror he is lovely and very well behaved. When he gets in his moods hes awful! I'm starting lead training (indoors) this week so that when he is finally allowed out he won't be so panicked by it and also hoping the exercise will help him behave!

kandydragons

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Nov 14 2013, 13:00

I'm sure it will! Honestly it sounds like your doing great Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kandydragons Thu Nov 14 2013, 13:04

Thank you hun, that means a lot. Its probably just my hormones but I wanted to give up yesterday and ended up in tears!
I worry about how dependent is he on me too, even if hes sleeping on my other half, he will know if I leave the room and go mental. I worry he will be very jealous come march when he cant cuddle me cos I'm feeding the baby etc.

kandydragons

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Nov 14 2013, 13:18

Ahh bless you At my wits end! 3198918699 

Yeah it's definitely best to work on it now, Crate training may help you know. like I said start small, just a couple of minutes away, then when you return to him don't make a fuss, just go about your business and go from there Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14 2013, 20:29

Am I right in thinking he gets Pedigree dog food? If so, then that won't be helping the hyperactivity! The sooner you can switch the better, to be honest. Try and get him on a grain free food and although he'll still have his moments, he probably won't be quite so bad!

Re: the toilet training. If he's using the paper 80% of the time, then he's doing really well! Pups don't gain full control of their bowels/bladders until they're about 6 months old, so accidents, especially before they can be taken outside, are to be expected.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasminesmum Thu Nov 14 2013, 20:44

Awwwww I SO feel for you on this. Jasmine is 19 weeks and is turning into a little terror at home. She does exactly the same things as Roman. Growls, bites, barks and generally behaves like a complete * some days. She KNOWS what she is and isn't allowed to do at home, but there are days she just gives me that look, and does it on purpose. And the more I tell her off, the more she does it!! She chews the rug, bites chunks of turf up from the garden, chews the wood at home, and just generally winds me up.

I personally couldn't live without our dog cage. I have 3 young children (and 1 teenager), and I need it so I can get on with stuff I simply HAVE to do in the day. We also run our own building business, and although I work from home, there are days when I am in and out, and the cage is Jasmines haven to rest, and I can go out safe in the knowledge she is safe!
I get very frustrated with her behaviour some days, and sooooo upset at times, as I know she knows she is being naughty, but time out is a very good idea.
I send Jasmine out of the living room when she gets too bitey with us, although the nipping is getting better now. Please take comfort in the fact you are not alone, and we just have to be consistent and it will get better…..well thats what I keep telling myself….it gets me through the day:-) x
Jasminesmum
Jasminesmum
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jasmine
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14 2013, 21:02

Please don't think she'd being naughty deliberately! She isn't! She just doesn't fully understand what you expect of her or she's just so hyper that she forgets for a minute.Big Grin 

Be patient & consistent & she'll get there!

Hyperactivity is caused by poor food about 90% of the time, so have a look at what you're feeding to make sure it isn't the cause.thumbs up 

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasminesmum Thu Nov 14 2013, 21:08

Caryll wrote:Please don't think she'd being naughty deliberately! She isn't! She just doesn't fully understand what you expect of her or she's just so hyper that she forgets for a minute.Big Grin 

Be patient & consistent & she'll get there!

Hyperactivity is caused by poor food about 90% of the time, so have a look at what you're feeding to make sure it isn't the cause.thumbs up 
Im guessing that was for me Caryll:-)??

Yes, of course, you are probably right lol! But sometimes, its like she has a glint in her eye, thats saying 'oooh look at me mummy, I'm being soooo naughty lol'

She is on Fish4dogs and nature diet trays, so it isn't food with her. She's just being a little cow bag lol.
Jasminesmum
Jasminesmum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post by jmk Thu Nov 14 2013, 21:18

Well Im Glad I found this post Now I Know its not just Roxy who as a mad half hour and wont do a thing you say just bark at you nip you and run Round.. I do the time out thing as well it seems to work...
jmk
jmk

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by kandydragons Thu Nov 14 2013, 21:51

Glad to hear its not just my pup thats a "naughty" devil hehe! Yes his food does need changing I know this (and made a post about it)... I am on the case of that one Wink

The other thing is.... he will ONLY listen to me. He occasionally listens to my other half but its rare. Even though Andy will use the same commands as I do... Roman just won't listen. Is this normal? Its wearing me out haha!

kandydragons

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14 2013, 21:54

It' is normal, but you can do something about it!

Get your oh to do several training sessions a day with her, using treats as rewards, and she'll soon start to listen more. It might be best at first if you weren't in the same room, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Thu Nov 14 2013, 21:59

Our 2 are only just starting to calm down at nearly 2 years old. all normal stuff (hard work but soooooooo worth it) Big Grin 
jo garnett
jo garnett
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by kandydragons Thu Nov 14 2013, 22:02

Caryll wrote:It' is normal, but you can do something about it!

Get your oh to do several training sessions a day with her, using treats as rewards, and she'll soon start to listen more. It might be best at first if you weren't in the same room, though.
I have said he needs to start doing more training with him so hopefully he will listen now Smile Men Laughing 

Not sure how it will go down if I'm not in the room though.... Roman goes spare until I'm in his line of sight worried 

kandydragons

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jmk Thu Nov 14 2013, 22:05

Im going to start and take Roxy to training classes so I am hoping that will help her out ... Like you said they can be very loving then just go off on one lol
jmk
jmk

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14 2013, 22:08

jmk wrote:Im going to start and take Roxy to training classes so I am hoping that will help her out ... Like you said they can be very loving then just go off on one lol
Get your oh to fo to the training classes with you, and maybe you can take turns?

Back to top Go down

Post by kandydragons Thu Nov 14 2013, 22:09

I am trying to book puppy classes as well:) Hoping it will help

kandydragons

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil. Thu Nov 14 2013, 22:13

Crates are definately a plus , Roxi loves hers , about half hour ago she took herself off to it and is now sat there happily chewing a bone , the door is open and so is the lounge door so she can move around the house if she wants .... She too is a little madam , at 8 weeks she can sit on command and is just learing to sit and wait .... I try to stimulate her mind by making her think about things and although she can be a pain she can equally be a little angel ....:-)
Neil.
Neil.

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Roxi
Dog Gender(s) : female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15 2013, 20:19

Hi Kate, I've had puppies and I've had babies, although not at the same time! I've also had a particularly clingy puppy, as Roman seems to be. I didn't reply to you yesterday as I've been thinking about your situation.

On balance, crate training of Roman would be ideal. I'm not an expert on crate training, but take it very gradually (you have plenty of time). Make the crate nice and cosy and tempt Roman in there with treats and favourite toys, whilst you sit outside with the door open. Gradually work up to you sitting outside with the door closed until he's settled and happy with this situation. Then sit up on a chair, then move it gradually further away whilst still in his eyesight until you are sitting where you will sit when you nurse your baby. When Roman is comfortable with this, get a doll and "nurse" it so that Roman becomes accustomed to your attention being distracted from him for a few minutes - 10 minutes - 30 minutes etc, and then go through the motions of changing a nappy etc. I don't know if it's possible to obtain a CD of a crying baby (I suspect not!) but some introduction to Roman of this sound (and when he's used to it, to your necessary attendance of the cause) would be useful.

This will all take time - weeks - but hopefully will establish a routine for Roman that he becomes comfortable with; he is still young enough to adapt to the family dynamics.

The subject of introducing a human baby into the household can come later - this is just laying the groundwork.

Do keep in touch At my wits end! 3198918699  At my wits end! 3198918699  At my wits end! 3198918699 

Back to top Go down

Post by kandydragons Sun Nov 17 2013, 21:22

Hi Lynda,

Thanks for your reply. I have been in hospital so havent been able to get on here!

Well it seems me going into hospital did Roman some good as he had to spend the night at my other halves parents. Hes been round there loads in the day so he is used to the house etc. He hasnt been AS clingy since which is good!!

I have been playing sounds of a baby crying on you tube and he is not fazed by it one bit.

Although we have spotted a new "problem".... Hes 11 weeks old and now he has started to hump things!!! Never me but mainly mens arms. I'm guessing its a dominance thing at this stage!

kandydragons

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17 2013, 21:27

Not just dominance. It's also pent up excitement (not necessarily sexual)! And of course the hormones are starting to filter through.

Just do the same with the humping as you do with the nipping, be consistent, and he'll start to calm down a bit!

Back to top Go down

Post by kandydragons Sun Nov 17 2013, 21:37

Caryll wrote:Not just dominance. It's also pent up excitement (not necessarily sexual)! And of course the hormones are starting to filter through.

Just do the same with the humping as you do with the nipping, be consistent, and he'll start to calm down a bit!
I was wondering lol! I had a bit of a full house today, me and OH, my 2 kids, my mum and step dad and I think he got too excited at seeing everyone! He got really hyper and nippy and humpy!

I also caught him humping the cat Laughing The worst bit was the cat let him Surprised 

kandydragons

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17 2013, 21:40

kandydragons wrote:I also caught him humping the cat Laughing The worst bit was the cat let him Surprised 
rolling on the floor  Strange cat! rolling on the floor

Dempsey's a humper, he always has been from about 9 weeks old!Laughing  Nowadays he tends to only do it just after his evening meal or occasionally after his breakfast. All I have to do now is cough & stare at him & he stops, sits down & pants at me with a big grin on his face!Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by nicolene Iveson Tue Nov 19 2013, 11:41

Our Tip went through the " naughty " stages and she still have her moments. But now that she is older she has them a lot less. Puppy class and walking helped with the hyperactivity and we have very few accidents now too.

Patience and consistency is key when they small. Hard work that gets repaid in bucketfulls of love and wet kisses and unwafering loyalty
nicolene Iveson
nicolene Iveson

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In an open relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tip
Dog(s) Ages : six weeks old
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by jmk Tue Nov 19 2013, 12:34

kandydragons wrote:I adore Roman and most of the time he is a good boy...

But he is driving me insane.. He has the mad energy bursts where he just will not do ANYTHING I tell him to. He will chew, growl at me, bark at me and generally be naughty. When he gets like this I have no choice but t give him a "time out" by putting him in the kitchen alone and shutting the door. I leave him for a couple of minutes then allow him back in and he "usually" calms down then. Is this normal???

Also, he is VERY attached to me. I am with him 24hrs a day to be fair but he won't sleep during the day unless its on the sofa cuddling me which is a pain. If I have stuff to do then he just wont sleep and gets naughty. I try and take a bath and because Im not with him he will again be naughty and steal washing or chew etc and will not leave me alone.

Obviously I need to teach him to not rely on me so much but how?! I want to get a crate just so I can have a 5 min breather (I am 5 months pregnant) but my other half is dead against them and thinks they are cruel. Ive tried telling him I crate trained my labrador when I was with my ex husband but he just will not listen to me.

Toilet training... well hes not going outside yet as not had his 2nd jab but Im trying to paper train him (paper is by the door he will eventually use to go out). Now I would say 80% of the time he goes on the paper. However when he is being naughty he will just pee anywhere. Is he just doing that for attention??

EDIT: forgot to say he is 11 weeks old on Saturday
Toilet Training If you have a back yard/garden you can let him out there even if he no jabs vet told me I could do that with Roxy..
jmk
jmk

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down