Feeding woes - certain food intolerances and picky eater

4 posters

Go down

Feeding woes - certain food intolerances and picky eater Empty Feeding woes - certain food intolerances and picky eater

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Jun 13 2022, 18:57

So this is my daily challenge with Nifty.
She’s intolerant to chicken and eggs, does not like fish flavoured kibble or tinned food more often than a few times from the open bag Rolling Eyes Does not like barf or fresh minced meat. Does not like eating the same thing day in, day out.

Finding quality kibble without chicken or eggs has been a challenge. Then I only buy 3kg bags max as she gets fed up of eating the same thing. She’ll sometimes be fooled with pineapple, looooves tinned sardines in olive oil (save part of the oil for next meal), grated cheese, chopped ham but will not always fall into the trap.

Tried mixing tinned food with kibble to vary but she got bored of that too.
Any ideas or shall I just let her starve her tantrum over ?

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Feeding woes - certain food intolerances and picky eater B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Feeding woes - certain food intolerances and picky eater Empty Re: Feeding woes - certain food intolerances and picky eater

Post by Darren c Mon Jun 13 2022, 21:11

Hi. We've just gone through a similar story with our boy. Just went off his food. He's been on butternut box since we got him but just went off....would only beg for table scraps which we didn't give him. Mixed his butternut box food with nature's menu raw and he's back to enjoying his meals again. He was teething which may have something to do with it also. Sometimes they just get bored or sometimes there is a change at home which throws them off.
Darren c
Darren c
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Feeding woes - certain food intolerances and picky eater Empty Re: Feeding woes - certain food intolerances and picky eater

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Jun 14 2022, 05:18

Thanks for sharing and glad your situation went back to usual.
Nifty is 5 years old so it’s not teething and she’s old enough to know better Rolling Eyes

I’m watching her eat her kibble breakfast with appetite, we’ll see what the next meal brings

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue Jun 14 2022, 08:05

Have you thought about tray food or pate types? There are some very reasonable ones around now.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Jun 14 2022, 20:51

Not really sure what you mean by tray foodbut I once bought a sausage filled with pate … Nifty ate the contents but I ran away screaming at the price I dont want to s , over 6 euros for 500g.
I’ve looked into “prepared home-style” (dogchef) but it’s very pricey too, especially as by equity Opium should get some too Blushing so looking for quality kibble/wetfood alternatives

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by TeganHo Fri Mar 03 2023, 12:31

Hi!
It can be challenging when your pet is a picky eater, especially if they have specific dietary restrictions. However, it's essential to ensure that your pet is getting proper nutrition. Here are some suggestions that may help:

Consider trying a limited ingredient diet that does not contain chicken or eggs. You may want to consult with your veterinarian to determine which brand or type of food would be best for your pet's nutritional needs.

Try rotating different types of kibble, so your pet doesn't get bored of eating the same thing every day. You could alternate between different flavors or brands every few days or weeks.
Remember that it's important to be patient when trying new foods or feeding methods. It may take some time for your pet to adjust to a new diet or routine. If you're still having trouble, it's best to consult with your veterinarian for further guidance.

TeganHo

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down