Puppy things

4 posters

Go down

Dog Puppy things

Post by rotten991 Mon Feb 22 2021, 18:31

Okay guys, so i used to my new staffy, got to know each other a bit etc. so i've got some questions for ya!

First one is about behaviour, everything is kinda good! He is listening, sometimes he is stubborn, but it always ends on my side. He knows some basic commands like down sit come, and im drilling them. But the thing is that i my girlfriend other bitch ( a mongrel, generally typical cool dog). They seems to love each other, when youngster is barking at night or something she goes and hugs him, they lick each other's faces and cry in general when they get separated, playfighting, staffy even lies down and gives her a chance.
But, sometimes he's kinda grumpy and just goes to her and bites her leg when she don't want, in general he bites everything on his way. So she starts to tell him to go away but he don't listen, ofcourse i separate them to cool him down. And in general he bites hes chew and he's calm as water, rejecting her even to play etc. Should i be worried about that or just tell them to not go this way ( happens both ways but staffy is ignoring her as hes a mini tank ) ? It happens mostly on my eyes, they were bashing each other, then i separated them, opened door, i come to other place and they are just giggling and playfighting, maybe it's normal thing ? (Earlier i got neapolitan mastiff and pitbull and they were rough.. in general Big Grin )
Second thing is that i can't walk him for long time because he starts to shake ( -5 here ), is that normal for short coated pup ?
And second question makes another, how i can play with him to make him tired as hell, like with adult i know - flirt poles, weight dragging, spring pole, tug with him - but it's okay to tug with puppy ? Or should i make him a spring pole ? I read on pitbull forums that is okay to make this guy a springpole, but he needs his paws 4 on the ground, anyone knows ?

And in general this dog is smart as hell, hates elevator, and loves to lick and bite everything Smile Even earlier mentioned mongrel started to listen to me more, and stopped his games ( this dog is kinda smart too tbh i was sure some stupido will grow up Smile )

rotten991
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Oggi the schnitzel and zoey
Dog(s) Ages : 2mo and 7mo
Dog Gender(s) : male, female
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Dog Re: Puppy things

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Feb 22 2021, 20:15

Ok, first things first.
How old is your puppy ?

With regards to exercise, there is the “5 minutes per month of age” rule.
As for the temperature, I presume you put a coat on to go outside ? He sounds young so yes, I think -5°C is cold for more than a quick toilet break.

Puppies should not be tired physically as it’s bad for their joints as they are still growing. All of your activities like flirt poles and weight dragging, etc, should be strictly avoided until he’s finished his physical growth (around 18 months old ?) I personally don’t like tug games, especially for a puppy who doesn’t yet have their adult teeth. Mental games and stimulation can be just as tiring but it won’t damage physically.

For play, staffies can be very rough and vocal when they play. Your gf’s dog should teach him manners but do supervise and call time out if necessary.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Puppy things B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Mon Feb 22 2021, 21:38

At -5 Katy wouldn't even contemplate going out unless for a quick wee! The games you are suggesting are fine for a fully grown staffie but not a pup Smile They are vey vocal, especially in play but do need to be taught manners but from your girlfriends dog, not you. He will listen to her if she does it right!
As you have said, he is smart but he will push the boundaries to see how far he can go, you need to stand your ground on what is acceptable (your rules)

Puppy things B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by rotten991 Tue Feb 23 2021, 16:56

Got it! Today was sunny day, so lil' guy went for a first walk, around my area! He met lot of new stuff, did a pee pee poo poo and now he sleeps like a baby!
In terms of brain stimulation etc. I got a kong, i hide treats for him around a home, even hiding some kibble in pretzel made of towel, polishing allready known commands ( basics of basics, as a programmer i know that withoud solid foundations you can't build a stronghold Smile ), there is even progress in terms of feeding him! - Now he sits and ways till the kibble is in his bowl Big Grin.
Anyway i wonder how people raise staffys with yorks or similar dogs under one hood haha Big Grin

rotten991

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Feb 23 2021, 20:52

I think you’d be surprised, small dogs like yorks can be very convincing despite their size. I’d trust a bigger dog over those pocket sized ones anytime ! Laughing

Puppy things B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Tue Feb 23 2021, 21:04

I must agree with Nifty, little dogs are feisty & usually keep the bigger dogs in check! Sounds like he's doing well with the training Smile

Puppy things B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by rotten991 Wed Feb 24 2021, 07:11

Yeah, he is hella smart! We will see when we go outside for training, it will verify all the work Big Grin. I did like you mentioned, i have allowed dogs to resolve they things by themselves, sooo, other doggy noticed that i won't help him, so she told a toddler few things, and he became calm like water! I was afraid that won't work because toddler is kinda stronger Big Grin. Also that looks like he dont want to poop in house anymore, because i didn't detected any puppy landmine this morning, and he did his job outside Smile

rotten991

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Wed Feb 24 2021, 07:40

Sounds like he's doing really well Smile When Katy 1st met her cousin (8yr old Westie) she got told off by her. Funny to see a staffie cowering to a little dog Laughing They listen to other dogs better than they do to humans!

Puppy things B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by rotten991 Tue Mar 02 2021, 13:28

Yes he is! Gonna buy a clicker because learning him stuff, or actually reinforcing the known one is great fun, even if i see that he is acting like a donkey sometimes haha Big Grin Gonna even get a clicker Big Grin. Im pretty suprised that this dog knows how to rest and other stuff like that! In general calm and patient guy (even on a leash unless he will see other dogs or people, and yeah people taught it to him because they pet him without any question, which is annoying for me ), but he always search a way to rickroll me haha Big Grin. Can't wait to get some warmer temperatures and go outside for longer to teach him to be mr. nice guy when being outside, which i bet will be a challenge because of a lot of distractions Smile.
Gonna introduce a crate to him also, as he really knows how to lie in one place and chew his toy or just rest.
Puppy things 15459210
Puppy things Img_2011
Puppy things Img_2010

rotten991

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue Mar 02 2021, 16:52

Just a word of warning.

Don't exercise too much! You can damage growing bones, tendons & ligaments which can store up health problems later on.

The general rule is 5 minutes of on lead, pavement walking per month of age, plus extra play on soft surfaces if rest periods are given.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by rotten991 Tue Mar 02 2021, 17:33

gillybrent wrote:Just a word of warning.

Don't exercise too much! You can damage growing bones, tendons & ligaments which can store up health problems later on.

The general rule is 5 minutes of on lead, pavement walking per month of age, plus extra play on soft surfaces if rest periods are given.

Sure! In general i'm carrying him on my hands to the place when i want him to see, same on the cold mornings/evenings when we go out for pee pee poo poo Wink

rotten991

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Jun 12 2021, 14:37

Hey there, how are you getting on with your pup especially now the temperatures are probably better Smile

Puppy things B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rotten991 Wed Jun 23 2021, 20:15

Hey, hes great! Actually hot like hell now Big Grin
He is a gentleman and i think he likes me in his way haha!
I think i learned him a basic stuff that i need in everyday life but he is kinda stubborn when it comes to walking on leash, but that's normal about those dogs.
He grown a lot ( i was sure his head got 2 times bigger overnight lol ).
I did a lot of research and i started with barf, because i wasn't able to find kibble that will suit him best ( big smelly poops indicate that he dont get with kibble well ), so even if barf is generating more costs and needs more effort i decided to - after few weeks his coat started to shine and be fluffy in touch!

I have one question only, i just stopped playing a tug with him and started to ignore him, obviously he sits under my desk, licks my feet and lightly nips and run back which obviously is invite to play, but... sometimes he triest o mount my leg - is it normal ?

Puppy things 20305810
Puppy things 20372710Puppy things 20528610

rotten991

Status Status :

Male