Rescue criteria

4 posters

Go down

Rescue criteria Empty Rescue criteria

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Nov 17 2020, 20:06

So I’d doing what I shouldn’t and looking through dogs in national shelters looking for rehoming.
I know these places are always full of sad souls hoping for their forever home but I really do wonder if they’re not setting themselves up to fail ?

First off, describing breed or breed type.
Most are dogues or shepherds even though by the photos, many look like completely something else.
Then as to the size, that’s completely a joke (a chihuahua was specified as being a large dog Surprised )

Then to the descriptions, most are to be housed without any other pets at home, with a garden, in the countryside, no kids, someone who stays at home and has time to spend to keep adoptee company.
How many people are lucky enough to be in this configuration ?

Most dogs are specified as not being social with other dogs.
I really thought most canines were social.

Maybe all of these criteria are to frighten off future families ? To that I can confirm their success

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Rescue criteria B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Rescue criteria Empty Re: Rescue criteria

Post by lunathestaffy Thu Nov 19 2020, 08:14

Rehoming in Ireland is impossible unless you have a huge garden, which is a joke... before we got Luna I wanted to just adopt a puppy from the shelter- any puppy at all as long as it’s not a small breed. Saw so many that I made contact to different shelters about with no luck. Every shelter told me that with my garden I can only have a small Jack Russell type of a dog?!

I understand they don’t want to be putting a Great Dane in a one bedroom apartment! But I’ve a 2 bedroom house with a garden thats just the average size of gardens in estate houses, so I thought it was very unfair of them to just completely dismiss us for any dog bigger than your foot.

That’s why we were basically forced to buy Luna, as we really wanted a dog that’s at least medium sized.. we walk her at least twice a day and she goes for lots of hikes and forest adventures,she is more than happy so it is a shame since a poor dog in the shelter could have been made this happy but they didn’t want to let it.

lunathestaffy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Nov 19 2020, 20:29

A friend of mine has been adopting dogs from Romania. She now has 5, I asked her why she didn't get dogs from here. She said she has tried but you have to tick so many boxes to adopt here. Not allowed to work, preferably no other pets & secure large garden!

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Rescue criteria B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by lunathestaffy Fri Nov 20 2020, 08:28

It so unfair, because just because your garden isn’t huge doesn’t mean the dog won’t get exercise! The shelters almost assume the worst.. they should just try and get to know people better before making decisions

lunathestaffy

Status Status :

Support total : 23

Back to top Go down

Rescue criteria Empty Rescues too picky.

Post by dizzy Sat Nov 21 2020, 12:23

I tried my hardest to rescue a staffy from the RSPCA, but every dog I enquired about had reasons why I couldn't have them. I ended up buying a pup privately, which was a shame for the rescue dogs.
I did put my name down for when a suitable dog was available, but 8 years later I've still not been contacted!
I'm an experienced dog owner with a house and garden so it makes me wonder why?
dizzy
dizzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dodger
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 41

Back to top Go down