Pup just won’t leave cat alone!

+2
Mia05
lunathestaffy
6 posters

Go down

Pup just won’t leave cat alone! Empty Pup just won’t leave cat alone!

Post by lunathestaffy Wed Sep 25 2019, 23:42

For anyone that hasn’t seen my previous post I’ve a lil baby girl that’s 11 weeks old now. She’s really nippy. Like reaaally nippy. Problem is with my cat, he is a very loving creature and won’t let her run him out of the house. Now anytime he comes home and tries to lie down and relax she jumps on top of him and tries to play with him but she’s way too rough! I’ve had people here suggesting to just leave them be that the cat will tell her when she’s being too rough but he knows she’s a baby and won’t even show her his claws, yesterday she grabbed onto his cheek and now he has a scar on it, she actually made him bleed and he still didn’t try to attack her or anything just jumped away from her. My problem is that nothing is working any time she sees him she runs for him and the poor baby boy can’t even relax in his home unless it’s on top of the table. And when he is on the table she’s underneath barking,crying and growling. I don’t want her to keep hurting him but it’s really hard keeping them separate from each other! Distracting her with toys or treats when he’s around doesn’t work she cares about nothing but the cat when he is home. Firm no does nothing either she doesn’t care much if u say no.

lunathestaffy
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 23

Back to top Go down

Pup just won’t leave cat alone! Empty Re: Pup just won’t leave cat alone!

Post by Mia05 Thu Sep 26 2019, 11:02

Some dogs have a high prey drive particularly terriers, id give your cat high places where they can go and teach your dog the leave command and let her know the behaviour is unacceptable when she displays the behaviour toward the cat firmly and short and sharply say "leave it" id use a lead as well when u do this.it'll take a bit of practice when she leaves the cat alone reward her with treats and high praise id practice this a good few times a day your dog will soon get the messsage. Your cat must be very docile .

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Pup just won’t leave cat alone! B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by lunathestaffy Thu Sep 26 2019, 22:43

Yeah he’s a very well behaved cat always gentle with us and extremely patient with her, he knows she’s a baby and when she annoys him he either just goes away where she can’t get him or slaps her in the head with his paw 😂 he never takes his claws out to her tho she takes him giving out to her as playing and tries to tackle him then.. however I don’t think Luna sees the cat as prey, when she’s sleepy she tries to cuddle him and always cries when he goes outside without her she loves her cat but doesn’t know how to show it I don’t think 😂 I just don’t know how to get her to stop biting down on him so hard, he likes to play with her sometimes he sneaks up on her and jumps at her and even caught him pushing bits of food of the table for her 😂 but she just gets too excited when he shows her any attention at all and starts biting really hard. She does it to us too I know it’s mostly over teething but her bites actually leave bruises

lunathestaffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Sep 27 2019, 07:48

You could also try putting up a baby gate for the cat to retreat behind when it all gets too much! 

I know she'll probably whine at the gate, but it'll give your cat some time to himself.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by lunathestaffy Fri Sep 27 2019, 20:01

Yeah I was looking to buy a gate that has bars car doing from each other so the cat can slip through. When he gets sick of it he usually just goes up on the table or counter, sometimes on top of her cage 🙄 he’s still young and curios too though and when she looses interest in him he’ll pounce at her to get her to play with him but after a minute of playing nice she gets too rough with him doing he’s forced to retreat 😂

lunathestaffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Archie&Jess Fri Sep 27 2019, 23:09

I think that’s her showing love, the only way she knows, the puppy way. We had the same issue with Archie. Initially it was nipping us and then our 12 year old dog. I tried everything I heard about, distracting with treats and toys, walking away (which only made him chase us and bite our feet), firm no, yelping and everything else under the sun. Even when he learned “leave it” and “drop it” it didn’t work for the nipping. My kids, especially my 5 year old was scared to be anywhere near him as he was drawing blood every time they played. Then a friend (stuffy owner) suggested time out. Every time he nipped we would say “gentle” and and if he didn’t stop we would put him in the bathroom for one minute and then say gentle once we take him out. It only took a day for him to learn to stop nipping. After that first day, IF he tried just saying gentle was enough for him to stop. It worked wonders for us. I hope this helps. 😊
Archie&Jess
Archie&Jess
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Archie
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Fri Sep 27 2019, 23:34

Wow what a cat! My old staff would not dare go near the cat for fear of her life..and she was a known attacker of anything.

For your pup its something to get obsessed about..it can be a terrier trait but it can also just be a thing they do for want of company/playmates/another animal to connect with. Humans don't always fit the bill. What you have to do is tell her this is not how we do things. When she is obsessing about the cat i would be inclined to remove her from the area...she doesnt have to be locked out or isolated..just moved from the cat to the garden for a bit of play etc something to take the cat out of her mind. If she is calm with the cat she can stay and still work with the distraction and "focus on me not cat" things....basically you want to teach her to completely ignore the cat. As said above make sure the cat has many places to escape to get peace.
lexii
lexii

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by lunathestaffy Thu Oct 10 2019, 17:16

Is there any way to add videos on this forum? Would be much easier to explain the situation if I could show what’s happening 😂 she definitely is obsessed with the cat, the minute he enters the house her eyes are on him,tail is wagging and if I’m holding her back she starts full on crying. Distracting her with toys works for a minute then she remembers that the cat is back home 🙄 at the moment they have to be pretty much kept in different rooms because the cat isn’t helping at all. If Luna finally stops paying attention to him and starts chewing her toys the cat actually jumps at her to get her to chase him. It’s probably because he is young as well he is only going to be one year old next month so he actually wants to chase her and be chased by her sometimes. She is getting better and is starting to play with him on his terms meaning she’ll chase him and paw at him then he chases her but after a minute she gets too exited that he’s playing with her and she start biting. I feel so bad because they do want to be friends but she’s just really rough.

lunathestaffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by lunathestaffy Thu Oct 10 2019, 17:18

The cat has loads of places to escape to if it gets too much he just goes on the table or upstairs to our bedroom to which the dog has no access to. But problem is that he keeps trying to be close to her and to us because he’s not much of an independent cat he loves company

lunathestaffy

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Thu Oct 10 2019, 19:16

The best way would be to post your video on youtube then post it on here. For some reason our link doesn't like videos!

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Pup just won’t leave cat alone! B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down