My staffy cross eats poo- any poo

2 posters

Go down

My staffy cross eats poo- any poo Empty My staffy cross eats poo- any poo

Post by browndog Fri Oct 20 2017, 10:36

Does anyone have any advice?
My staffy cross is very greedy and although he gets good quality food, he will eat anything and I mean ANYTHING. If we are out on a walk I cannot let him near the grass verges as all he does is sniff out other dog's poo to eat it. On the roads or paths. he sniffs for any other crap to eat. I have to keep him continually on a short lead. At home, we have a large garden but with 3 other dogs there is poo there too. I get there quickly when they have done it with the poo bags so that the staffy cannot get it. It is a continual job, and battle to keep him from doing this.
I dont think he is missing anything from his diet which makes him want to do this. He is just very greedy. He is in great condition. He eats absolutely anything, any veg, any fruit, ( the things which are not harmful of course) . I do not want to put a muzzle on him for going outside as folk might think he is dangerous, which could not be further from the truth.

Last edited by browndog on Fri Mar 16 2018, 12:58; edited 1 time in total

browndog
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

My staffy cross eats poo- any poo Empty Re: My staffy cross eats poo- any poo

Post by Guest Fri Oct 20 2017, 11:06

You mean you don't just adore poo scented staffie kisses? Laughing

The first question is what (other than poo) you feed him. It's possible that his system is looking address a dietary deficiency. I know you've said it's good quality food but it still might be worth changing to see if it helps.

Other than that, the main thing that springs to mind is to use a muzzle, with proper muzzle training first so that he's happy with it. You might find that you have to spend time cleaning poo off the muzzle to start off with but in theory the right muzzle should stop him reaching anything to eat it. You'd need to look for one that's not too open at the front, so he can't get his tongue through or get the poo coming through so he can lick it. Always make sure he can get his mouth open to pant, so avoid those fabric muzzles that go snug round the nose.

Back to top Go down

Post by browndog Fri Oct 20 2017, 12:29

Thanks for your reply. He is on James Wellbeloved Lamb and rice. It is all he can cope with as he is reactive to anything with grain or yeast, but he can take rice. Otherwise he stinks the whole house out. I have tried him on various foods and this is what suits him. Anything with yeast content starts him scratching in his ears and makes them sore. I really don't want to resort to a muzzle for 2 reasons. I don't want to upset him and I feel that this will do so. He is a very sensitive wee soul. The other reason is that being a staffy I feel it will give out the impression of the bad reputation that staffies have, albeit undeserved.
I have discussed the matter with the vet and he said that he does not think there is anything missing in his diet and as he is a greedy wee pig (my words) he will eat poo because to a dog it is just food.
It just makes me sick though.

browndog

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Fri Oct 20 2017, 14:22

How old is your dog ?

When I went to fetch Nifty at 8 weeks old, the breeder told me that she was a poo eater.
It’s been a long battle for us (I’m a complete novice) but what I do is call her away each time she poos (or is near poo) and she gets a medium value yummy treat. I also religiously pick up the poo straight away, not only for her but to keep OH lawnmower happy Wink

Today I would rate her at 99% dependable so I consider it a victory.

I also noticed that after switching kibble from Proplan to Orijen, her poos had changed and appeared to be a bit less appealing too.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

My staffy cross eats poo- any poo B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by browndog Fri Oct 20 2017, 15:21

Thanks for your reply. My dog is 2 and a half. I pick up the poos in the garden as soon as they are done by him or my other dogs, but it is not so much that, although he still does eat any if he gets a chance, but the fact he sniffs out other poos in the grass verge when out on a walk and gobbles them before I get a chance to pull him away. I feed him what he is allowed to eat but who knows what other dogs are eating ? Its like he is out to beat me if he can! He just does not know or care how disgusting it is.

browndog

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Fri Oct 20 2017, 17:18

Ah, will need a search but LizP posted great advice for teaching the Leave-it command. It could well help you.

But be warned, this is long term consistancy training but so worth it in the end Big Grin

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

My staffy cross eats poo- any poo B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down