Dog park drama

5 posters

Go down

Dog park drama Empty Dog park drama

Post by coolitz Sun Aug 13 2017, 09:28

We took our 5yo English staffy to the dog park this weekend. She's always been really friendly with humans and other dogs. However, something happened and can't understand why.

My partner and I were sitting on the bench when a labrador puppy came over to us and jumped on us and we just left it alone. Our staffy then came over so we gave her a pat. They playfully chased each other for a while but then the puppy came over again, jumped on my partner and then jumped over me. Our staffy then barked at the lab puppy. The puppy barked back and suddenly they were trying to bite each other. We managed to pull them both apart. Thankfully no one was hurt.

The lab puppy was only 6 month old apparently. What we're trying to figure out was that whether our staffy was just being jealous or protective? Did the labrador pup not know any better being so young? Our staffy has been socialized in puppy school and was also in the obedience class so she's trained and socialized.

Thanks everyone.
coolitz
coolitz
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Dog park drama Empty Re: Dog park drama

Post by -Ian- Sun Aug 13 2017, 10:26

Others may disagree with me but this sounds like your little lady was trying to teach the puppy some manners and how to behave. Some dogs are natural at telling pups off, others can be a bit over the top.

Was she really going for the puppy or just trying to be really assertive, it can be hard to tell I know. I've had similar experience with my girl and the pups owners were happy to allow it to be taught but as owners of a Staffy it can be quiet nervy.

If you think there was more than assertive telling off then it could well have been that your girl was being protective, it's hard to tell without seeing really.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Dog park drama B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Sun Aug 13 2017, 17:33

Like Ian says, it does sound like she was telling him off for being a rude young'un and leaping on her humans.

Puppies can be so high energy. My dog feeds off that energy and gets over-excited very quickly so I tend to not let him play with young dogs for long.
Goblin
Goblin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sun Aug 13 2017, 20:40

I walk 2 spaniels for a friend 3 times a week, Katy is happy to walk with them (although she is a reactive dog) she has known them both since they were puppies. But when they jump up at me she will certainly tell them off, she wont touch them but they soon back off!! They don't like other dogs jumping on their humans Love Struck

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Dog park drama B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Thu Aug 17 2017, 01:49

I agree she was trying to put some manners in! Very bad manners for a dog to jump on anyone in a public place, what if the person was not you (as in dog likers and happy for that to happen)

Owner of the lab should have been very much more in control.
lexii
lexii

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content