Eye ulcer

4 posters

Go down

Eye ulcer Empty Eye ulcer

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09 2016, 15:19

Not long ago our girl suddenly had a closed eye one morning that turned out to be a corneal ulcer. I wasn't very impressed by the vet, who I felt was slow to suggest treatments that actually worked and there were several trips back & forth. Eventually it was resolved with a non-prescription corneal repair gel applied twice a day for about a month.

Just yesterday her other eye was partially closed, but there was no sign of discharge and it didn't seem to be bothering her unduly. I gave her some artificial tears to keep it lubricated and that seems to help, but only for a few hours. This morning I looked closely and it looks like that familiar grazed, foggy look that we had with the other eye, though not as bad at present.

I intend to try another vet, but from what I've been reading corneal ulcers are quite common among older staffies, so I wondered if anybody has experience of this?

Back to top Go down

Eye ulcer Empty Re: Eye ulcer

Post by Mia05 Wed Nov 09 2016, 15:31

hows bailey now?

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Eye ulcer B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09 2016, 15:38

I just gave her some artificial tear drops, which clearly helps and she looks fine, but I think I can see a very slight fogginess on the cornea, which looks like the beginning of an ulcer.

It was more obvious the last time and there was clear discharge at the time, but it's something that gets worse without the right treatment, so I want to jump on this early. Without the artificial tears her eye was about 30% closed an hour or so ago.

Most of the local vets have merged into a single group and lately they've been acting like a monopoly with poor service and high prices. I've managed to find one that is not part of the group, so I'll try to make an appointment, hoping they are more helpful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Nov 09 2016, 15:45

hope so Love Struck

Eye ulcer B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09 2016, 15:46

I knew that corneal ulcers are common with Boxers but it looks like Staffies are prone to this as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Wed Nov 09 2016, 19:22

Not something I've experienced Ashley. Do let us know how you get on

Eye ulcer B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by GRAHAM.C Wed Nov 09 2016, 23:35

I had the same problem with one of my previous staff bitches a few years ago,the eyes would keep ulcering and the reason being she was suffering this was because she was not making enough tears to lubricate the eye.
The only treatment that worked for her was an ointment called Optimune,put into the eyes daily would fool the tear ducts to produce tears in the normal way,and that cured the problem for the rest of her life.
It is a prescription ointment that can only be given by a vet.Saying that it is not very cheap,but is the only certain treatment that will cure your dogs problem.When you visit your vet he should put a dye into your dogs eye and look at them with a light in a dark room,and then put little bits of blotter in the eye to measure the tear production.
I would go to your vet and ask them about OPTIMUNE it is brilliant stuff and a certain cure.
GRAHAM.C
GRAHAM.C
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : TESS
Dog(s) Ages : DOB JUNE 2016
Dog Gender(s) : BITCH
Support total : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 10 2016, 00:11

Thanks Graham, I'll look into this. We've already ordered some of the corneal repair gel called Remend because I know that was the only thing that worked last time and it's cheaper than the prescription drugs we tried that didn't work.

I have suffered myself from an eye condition for many years called blepharitis that makes the eyes very dry and I know it can lead to other problems. Knowing this is likely caused by dry eyes is useful information.

The vet never once suggested any kind of preventative treatment or likely cause for this. The last few times we have gone to the vet it has felt like they are giving us the run around to prolong treatments. It's not good for my wallet and it's not fair on the dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Thu Nov 10 2016, 13:20

aww bless hope u get sorted soon.xxxx

Eye ulcer B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Thu Nov 10 2016, 13:54

Hope she gets better soon and you have more luck with your new vets. Do let us know how you get on.

Eye ulcer B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by GRAHAM.C Thu Nov 10 2016, 23:23

I am very surprised your vet has not done the tear production test because the dry eyes will forever keep giving your dog eye ulcers which are very painful for the poor animal.I would go to your vet and demand this be done,if he refuses go to a vet that cares for your dogs well being.Artificial tear drops do give temporary relief,but it doesn't last long before it needs doing again.Trust me,if your dog is suffering from dry eye,OPTIMUNE is the only certain cure for it.
GRAHAM.C
GRAHAM.C

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : TESS
Dog(s) Ages : DOB JUNE 2016
Dog Gender(s) : BITCH
Support total : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 24 2017, 15:47

A very belated follow up on this, but we became rather disillusioned with the vet and found ourselves in a seemingly endless round of appointments that were costing a lot of money, but achieving very little.

When the ulcers came that corneal repair gel does fix it, however we have found a preventative measure that is cheap and easy. You can find it on Amazon and it's just eye drops for dogs, but they have never looked better. I reckon it will cost about £10 a year as opposed to £40 a week with the vet... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conjunctivitis-Stinging-Squinting-Irritation-Allergies/dp/B01N0BX1LT/

We've used this now for the last two months, applying just a couple drops every morning and the problem has completely disappeared. I just wanted to mention this in case it helps others.

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Mar 24 2017, 18:10

Thanks for the update Ashley and pleased that read that Bailey is now doing so well. Just goes to show that a little research can make a huge difference in both money and discomfort

Eye ulcer B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 24 2017, 18:27

The curious thing is that we used artificial tears for humans previously and they helped to an extent, but much like Graham said, it felt very temporary and I was having to give her drops several times a day just to stop them getting really bad.  

The basic ingredients of these dog drops are the same, but for whatever reason, they're much more effective and significantly cheaper. The bottle it comes with is too big, so we bought some small glass bottles with the eye dropper pipette and use that instead. When the glass bottle is empty just fill it from the big bottle again.

As a quick afterthought, I think we were lucky here, but after reading the description on Amazon it seemed to tick all the right boxes, so we took a punt and it worked out well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down