11 week old pup toilet training

4 posters

Go down

11 week old pup toilet training Empty 11 week old pup toilet training

Post by Pauline82 Wed Jun 01 2016, 00:34

So I got ziva on Friday, as she had been in kennels for her very short life they suggested to let her get settled in before trying to toilet train her. So far she will poo outside, but she will wee were ever she is. She had a vet check up today and they said you can tell she's not had the best start in life, also said with her being in kennels it will be slightly more difficult to toilet train her, has anybody else had similar experience? Also at night she sleeps in a crate is this ok? She crys for 2/3 minute and then goes to sleep, is this normal? Thanks in advance.
Pauline X
Pauline82
Pauline82
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

11 week old pup toilet training Empty Re: 11 week old pup toilet training

Post by -Ian- Wed Jun 01 2016, 00:44

The crate is fine Pauline as long as Ziva sees it as her safe area and not a cell.

Sounds like the toilet training is going well so to discourage weeing in the house make no fuss of the mess and clean with a deodorising cleaner. They tend to go where they have been before so by cleaning and making no fuss there will be no association Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

11 week old pup toilet training B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Jun 01 2016, 02:03

hiya id also take her more regular trips outside perhaps where another dog has previously been ie: grass and plenty vocal praise when she does go . small steps is the key use a key phrase wee wees and repeat several times good luck with ziza and thankyou for giving the wee soul another decent chance in life . any other issues we all have varying levels of experience if you wnt to ask something just shout we will be only too happy to help. welcome from me and mia.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

11 week old pup toilet training B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline82 Thu Jun 02 2016, 12:04

Thanks for your reply guys, I've just got a stair gate for kitchen so bruno and ziva can have some time apart. Bruno is so soft, she caught his mouth yesterday and made him bleed, bruno didn't do anything, just came over to get away from her. Also my Mam was taken into hospital yesterday and I needed something to keep them apart for an hour while I visit her. Do any of you guys use stair gates? Thank you x
Pauline82
Pauline82

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline82 Thu Jun 02 2016, 12:05

Thanks for your reply guys, I've just got a stair gate for kitchen so bruno and ziva can have some time apart. Bruno is so soft, she caught his mouth yesterday and made him bleed, bruno didn't do anything, just came over to get away from her. Also my Mam was taken into hospital yesterday and I needed something to keep them apart for an hour while I visit her. Do any of you guys use stair gates? Thank you x
Pauline82
Pauline82

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Thu Jun 02 2016, 12:11

Well done on the rescue! Sorry I don't have any experience in this area other than what worked for me with my new pup when we brought him home. We took him outside often and encouraged him to go toilet by saying 'toily' every time he went and tonnes of praise, eventually he learnt if I took him outside and said toily it was time for him to go. When he did pee inside we just made no fuss, wiped it straight away with a spray from the pet store to remove the smell - if they smell any of it they tend to go in the same spot again. He soon got the hang of it. Good luck let us know how you get on. I hope your Mum is ok too !! Smile
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down