We have a chewer..

2 posters

Go down

We have a chewer.. Empty We have a chewer..

Post by punkydingo Thu May 26 2016, 12:25

I got out of the shower this morning to discover Sox had chewed my fitbit to bits. It was on the bedside table where I always put it when I take it off. I'm assuming Sox pulled it off the side and was sat on the bed happily chewing away.
He's never showed any interest in chewing until this week, also running off with my friends shoe.
Could it be because me and Chris are trying to encourage him to play with his toys,which he now does, and there is confusion over what is his to chew and what is out of bounds?
He isn't possessive, you can comfortably ask him to drop things and take them away from him which is good.

Would appreciate your thoughts!

Last edited by punkydingo on Fri May 27 2016, 09:18; edited 2 times in total
punkydingo
punkydingo
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Sox
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

We have a chewer.. Empty Re: We have a chewer..

Post by Guest Fri May 27 2016, 07:36

Does he have things he can chew, not just toys but things that say 'get your teeth into this'? I'm thinking of stuff kongs, raw bones (not weight bearing beef bones), rawhide chews. If not, that's where I'd start.

The other thing is to start training your mind to put things out of reach. They are often drawn to things that smell of us, which is why shoes are so often a target, together with other things that have been close to our skin. Millie went for my phone twice - thank heavens I use a front and back cover!

My guess is that he'll go through a phase then stop. Chewing is part of exploring the world and it's possible that Sox, although not a puppy, is doing it in a similar way, learning that he's allowed to explore this world of his safely.

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri May 27 2016, 20:59

I would do as Liz suggests with things you don't want chewed. My Flo has had many a T shirt & jumper under her paws in the morning and totally ruined, so yes, put things out of reach.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

We have a chewer.. B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down