Gentle leader

3 posters

Go down

Gentle leader Empty Gentle leader

Post by Svw Sun May 22 2016, 04:22

I hired a Victoria Stillwell DVD and she used gentle leader halter on two lab cross Great Danes that pulled. Does she still recommend them? What are other people's opinions on them?
Svw
Svw
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Widowed
Dogs Name(s) : Freddie ( Amstaff X English Staffy), Enna ( Ridgeback) , Eddie (cocker spaniel ), Dolly ( cockalier)
Dog(s) Ages : 17 months, 7 years, 5 years , 11 years.
Dog Gender(s) : Two female and two male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Gentle leader Empty Re: Gentle leader

Post by Guest Sun May 22 2016, 08:51

I personally wouldn't use one. I don't like headcollars type leaders for various reasons. A vet friend of mine believes she sees neck injuries from collars and haltis, generally dogs don't like them and, if you read the BAT book, it takes away a dog's freedom to look where he wants (needs). However, having said that, they do seem to be effective for many dogs. They're used at the rescue centre because they don't have the options of working with the dogs in a lovely stress free environment and need a tool that helps the staff and volunteers walk the dogs in the best way possible sooner rather than later.

So I'd say a tool for occasional situations where you need something now, but always in conjunction with training and using a harness instead whenever possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Svw Sun May 22 2016, 09:07

I haven't got one I was just surprised to see Victoria using them.
Svw
Svw

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Freddie ( Amstaff X English Staffy), Enna ( Ridgeback) , Eddie (cocker spaniel ), Dolly ( cockalier)

Back to top Go down

Post by ClareGilby Tue May 24 2016, 20:36

I used to use one with Daisy, and i found it really helpful. I only used it for a while and it never did her any harm. Saying that, she really hated it so I felt bad using it but I had a bad back at the time.

She also uses non pull harnesses, I don't know what they are like???
ClareGilby
ClareGilby
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Svw Tue May 24 2016, 22:23

Thanks Clare I use a front fastening harness I saw on her Tumby Bay show she used one that lifted the front legs off the ground I haven't seen that anywhere here.
If all else fails I will consider a gentle leader.
Svw
Svw

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ClareGilby Mon May 30 2016, 19:31

I also think that you can get different types. There are better ones that let the mouth open wider. Some of the halti ones keep the mouth a bit more closed which doesn't allow the dog to pant properly in the heat.

I find the best place to go and look at all the different haltis/collars/harnesses etc are the country and dog shows. I went to one today that had every different type for sale on all the stalls, so you can try before you buy. x
ClareGilby
ClareGilby

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Mon May 30 2016, 20:45

I've used them for many years on many different dogs, some dogs are ok -they don't pull with it on and keep their neck bent the entire way- some dogs do, honestly got to be better than choking with the collar and harnesses can work wonders but it makes them comfortable to pull and you have very little control of the head, a dog can still turn its heads all directions with a halti and gentle leader, the idea of the halti is to teach the heal command especially with strong dogs, the lead is lose, the dog is by your side and the halti isn't preventing the dog from doing anything except pull forward but can look and sniff things. It shouldn't be used constantly over years but as a back up on and off kind of tool.

Amelie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down