For people with two or more dogs .....

2 posters

Go down

Star For people with two or more dogs .....

Post by Micg1989 Sun Feb 21 2016, 18:55

My partner and I, as every dog owner does, have been pondering on the inevitable idea of getting another.

Chloe is 100% committed to the idea and see's nothing but good outcomes. I am a little more sceptical.

I would like another SBT, Chloe isn't fussed, aslong she falls in love at first sight (which she does with every dog).

My question, to the people who have had 1, and gone for a second, third or even fourth ....

...What is your verdict. If your looking after one, is it much more work to look after another? Would you get another same breed or would you go for something different?

Charlie is a 13 month old male ... Would you go for another male or a female? He is perfectly fine with other dogs, my mum has 4 (had 5 Sad ) .... And he gets on swimmingly, we go for walks with friends and dogs ... So i've no issues with worrying they wont get along ...

I just need a little convincing ....

Discuss!? Big Grin applause

For people with two or more dogs ..... Charli11

Micg1989
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Star Re: For people with two or more dogs .....

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21 2016, 19:19

Well, you'll see I have 3 and for some reason I like that number. We did have 4 at one point.

There are advantages and disadvantages. They keep each other company, especially when you're out, and they obviously interact with each other in an entirely different way to with us. We do play with them, but that rough and tumble (emphasis probably on the rough bit!) is something that we can't provide and they clearly adore.

I personally think dogs need canine company. That's not at all to criticise those who only have one, it's not something everyone can take on. We had just the one dog when we first got one and it was fine, but then I badgered my husband into getting a 2nd and the first one was clearly so happy about it. Even those those two (Mungo and Harley) we're on the face of it super close, when Mung had to go to the vets for the day or something, Harley would lie and wait for him. And since then we've always had more than one.

Obviously each dog costs you in food, insurance, vets bills, etc., so that is a factor to consider.

Staffies in particular are very high energy dogs and can play big time! Our house is regularly turned into a mad house, with all 3 of them rough housing together. The younger ones will do zoomies round the place and although it's brilliant to watch it's not necessarily for the super house proud! We have had visitors before now who seriously thought they were fighting and were quite worried by it.

It is a bit more work. You have 2 or 3 times the muddy footprints, you have more bits of chewed toy to pick up, but I think the difference is minor. If you have dogs who sleep on the bed, you do need to learn to shove over more!

Rather than breed per se, it is for me a question of finding another dog that Charlie will get on well with, and who will get on with him. You need something robust that won't be phased by staffie play. That could be another bull breed, it could be something else. Our three are Nola (lab x retriever), Chaos is a biggish staffie x, and Millie is a staffie x probably whippet although she's supposed to be a GSDx! They're different builds, different breeds, but just so good together.

Male vs female - wisdom has it that you're best getting different genders but again I'd say individual personality is more important. If in day to day interactions you think Charlie gets on better with one or another, then go for that.

What I would say is to try and avoid two very similar temperaments, especially if you have two bull breeds who won't back down. I wouldn't advise a very timid dog, but one who is more than happy to concede a toy or a bone is very useful! You don't want a resource guarder living with another.

So my vote? I'd always have at least two. Double the joy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Feb 22 2016, 08:53

Dear lord, Charlie is so handsome!! :O I'd love to have another, as Liz says there are pros and cons. We have fostered with Bug but she has never had a permanent companion. She has lived successfully with 3 different dogs, but the last two that we attempted to introduce didn't take and it was a rather stressful time for all. Bug is very selective with other dogs though and I don't think the rescue that offered us the dogs were entirely honest about the temperament of the dogs offered. She has been immediately comfortable with all of the pups we have taken in and I'd say her best friend was a lab x staffie, called Max, who we fostered for quite a few months.

They can absolutely provide company for each other, play, stimulation, double the love/snugs! Watching that interaction is magical. However, without experience it can be hard to find a suitable match, dogs relationships can be complex and it may not always work out the way you would like (I know of dogs who can't be left in the same room, even when you're in house, so the companionship part isn't relevant) and dogs that got on fine out of the house but will fight within. I'd say it's 50:50 as to if it will work, or not, so it's important to do your research and take your time to choose. This isn't to put you off, but ensure you are prepared.

Despite our good and bad experiences, seeing the bond that Bug and Max had was wonderful! They would play, sunbathe and sleep together and she would spend forever mothering him, cleaning his ears and bossing him about! He only didn't stay permanently because he had quite complex guarding behaviours with random objects and had bitten me and attempted to bite Bug when he went into that state. He lives at a sanctuary now.

Most of our forum staff members only have one, Staffies are so people oriented dogs that I don't mind if they have a canine friend, or don't. Bug seems happy either way Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down