AussieStaff
Tysonsmom
7 posters

Go down

Sleepy Help! My Amstaff is destroying my house

Post by Tysonsmom Mon Feb 15 2016, 19:20

Evening!

I could really use some help!
Back in May I rescued an 18 month old Amstaff, he literally came with just his lead and his collar. He started off really well behaved when I got him home, he soon learnt that I went to work, came home at lunchtime to let him out and then I would be back later.

However as the weeks have gone on his behaviour has increasingly got worse, he has chewed my banister, shredded the carpet and has now taken to chewing the doorframes! I have tried lots of the sprays you can buy in the shops however nothing seems to be working.
He has lots of toys that can keep him occupied while I'm away.

Can anyone help? I really don't want to have to get rid of him but he is costing me so much money in damages

Thanks
Tysonsmom
Tysonsmom
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tyson
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sleepy Re: Help! My Amstaff is destroying my house

Post by AussieStaff Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:05

Well done on the rescue! Hang in there while it seems unbearable there are a few things to try that should def help.

My boy was a chronic chewer - BBQ was his fave (loves the challenge of the gas line, rubber knobs & stainless steel!), outdoor power point, 2 screen door frames but worst of all dug up the termite system which was piping full of poison entire surround of house under ground!!

Soon learnt a tired dog is a good dog! Meant a lot of extra time spent walking him or playing to literally exhaust him which was so difficult to manage, i put vinegar in a spray bottle with ground super hot chilli and sprayed the BBQ relentlessly & door frames, he soon gave up! He was bored, even tho he was left with frozen stuffed kongs & i rotated his toys daily.

Can you get a dog walker for a decent mid day walk? We didn't, i wish i did!! I know when you're in the middle of it and it's literally costing thousands its heartbreaking & exhausting, pls hang in there & try new things to see what causes it and what works! Last thing he needs us another home, & a stressed owner. Im glad you posted! Smile
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:38

Hi from me & Katy & well done on the rescue Big Grin As Bek has said, excerise is the main key, either good long walks, games with chukkit balls or even mind games to wear him out mentally!! Please stick with it, you both can overcome this problem Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Help! My Amstaff is destroying my house B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue Feb 16 2016, 08:31

yes, he's bored.

when you first git him everything was new & he enjoyed exploring & settling in when you were at work, but he's done all that now & he's getting bored.

i would take him for a long walk in tge morning, followed by a period of mental activity - seek is a good one - to tire him out physically & mentally. then anotger good, long walk in the afternoon & maybe even a quick walk last thing at night to settle him down.

if tgat doesn't work, maybe think about a dog walker/visitor during tge time youre at work?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Tue Feb 16 2016, 09:42

& don't think it will go away forever, i installed a clothes line on Sunday & came home Mon to a chewed handle on it!!! Laughing
AussieStaff
AussieStaff

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by Sealpig Tue Feb 16 2016, 11:53

Well done on the rescue!

Exercise is key, Rio is much more well behaved after he's tired, you can buy weighted back packs for dogs which will use more energy, so if you can't take him on a really long walk at least he's working harder for a shorter walk.

Do you also leave the radio or tv on for him?
Sealpig
Sealpig
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : Rio
Dog(s) Ages : 7.5 yrs
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Tue Feb 16 2016, 13:29

Agree with the advice given, exercise really is the key. A frozen kong stuffed with treats is also an excellent distraction.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Elise-R Sun Feb 21 2016, 19:34

Usually when you take on a rescue dog you get the 'honeymoon period' where the dog is in a new place and is still unsure so stays quiet, once he's settled thats when the fun begins Laughing

Rather than using sprays show him what you do and don't want him to do, when he goes to chew on furniture or carpets etc redirect him with a toy and play with him so he learns how much funner toys are than chewing things. If you aren't at home to do so set him up for success- don't let him near the stuff he's chewing, if you aren't gone for too long you could crate him, of course you would have to train him to enjoy his crate first so he likes being in there! If you're gone a while buy a dog play pen and section him off an area of the house he can stay in (make sure it's a large area though!)

Before you go to work take him for a nice long run on a field and then take him again when you pop in at lunchtime. Have you got any activity toys like kongs? Before you leave for work give him a nice stuffed kong so he has something to do while you're gone.

Also well done on rescuing him! I bet he's so happy in his new home and so grateful you adopted him Smile x
Elise-R
Elise-R
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down