Teaching Recall

5 posters

Go down

Teaching Recall Empty Teaching Recall

Post by AK85 Mon Oct 19 2015, 00:17

Hi Guys,

Just wanting to get some advice on teaching recall for my little one.

She's just over 7 months now; and I've started letting her go off-lead at the park when there's not many people around - her behaviour's been heaps better since she's started to have a little more freedom! So I' m keen to try and keep it fairly regular...

When it's just us, she's usually pretty good with recall - although a bit stubborn at times!

However, when there's any distractions around (either people or other dogs) - I have no chance of getting her attention! She not a menace by any means... just wants to play and say hello - but I'm conscious of always needing to have control of her.

Has anyone got any tips or ideas as to how I can teach her better recall?

I don't want to limit her off-lead time, so the sooner I can get her behaving the way I want the better Smile

Teaching Recall 20151011

AK85
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Teaching Recall Empty Re: Teaching Recall

Post by Patrick84 Mon Oct 19 2015, 08:00

Chicken!

Mav although in a different stage as only 15 weeks, is really good with recall if he knows I have chicken, walks fine, doesn't stray too far but that's a puppy thing, and happy to come back if he sees people coming to chicken, to slip a lead on even though he's super excited to meet/see them, and will pull on the lead after.

getting him used to the command "this way" for if I don't want him to come back but to just carry on the walk if he's straying too far, pestering people too much.

Patrick84
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Maverik
Dog(s) Ages : 14 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Mon Oct 19 2015, 08:11

She is beautiful !!! Sorry am no help, I don't trust my boy off the lead other than at home ! Laughing Someone with some good advice and experience will be along soon I'm sure Smile
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19 2015, 08:19

I'd suggest two things. The first is that you start your recall training at home so that she knows that 'come' in fact means 'come here and get something yummy'. Just start pairing the word 'come' with a treat when she's standing next to you until just saying the word gets a reaction. You then call her from nearby, and then further so from another room or in the garden, each and every time giving her a treat. You can do this at random times and when she's not expecting it.

Then do the same thing out and about. Call her when you don't need her to come for a specific reason, just to consolidate. In fact, I'd say don't call her if you don't think she'll come otherwise you'll end up calling and her ignoring you, which then teaches her that ignoring you is an option. You want to set her up to succeed each and every time.

That might mean, for the time being, step two in the training process - using a long line. I know you don't want to restrict off-lead time but it is something that necessary sometimes, and for the purpose it should be temporary. The idea is to use a long training line to still give her the freedom to make a choice to come from further away and get the reward for it, but at the same time limiting how distracted she can get (and also how much of a pest to other people!).

Whether you use chicken, cheese, dried fish... find a treat that's a big one for your own dog. Some dogs even work better for toys. The aim is that the treat should be the best thing ever and outweigh other fun things. Just do be aware if you are giving a lot of treats that they should be a part of daily rations and shouldn't be too fatty or full of rubbish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuschinski Tue Oct 20 2015, 22:03

You need a special recall word, not the dogs name, ours is Look. When you call it they always get a really good treat, save their favourite treat just for this.

Tuschinski
Tuschinski
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Eccles
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 21 2015, 08:25

'Come' is the most commonly used command, and it's not a word that is easily confused with another. 'Look at that' is another command that's very useful if you hit a worried period so I personally wouldn't use 'look' for 'come'. However, you can really use any word you like as the dog has no idea what it means until he starts associating it with a reward for a specific action.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Wed Oct 21 2015, 08:57

Just remember dogs only understand basic and specific things using one word commands will work best than a sentence soon as she does what you want give her a treat

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Teaching Recall B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by AK85 Thu Oct 22 2015, 00:28

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I do have a 5m line, that I use when I take her to the beach - so I'll try that or get an even longer line to practice her recall at the park.

I'll have to put the training on hold for a bit though, as the poor things picked up kennel cough this week Sad

AK85

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Thu Oct 22 2015, 08:17

Aww what a shame hope shes better soon.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Teaching Recall B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317