I posted this in the puppy forum but hopefully I can post here to get more replies

4 posters

Go down

I posted this in the puppy forum but hopefully I can post here to get more replies  Empty I posted this in the puppy forum but hopefully I can post here to get more replies

Post by Bullylover2015 Wed Jul 29 2015, 16:15

I just got my female Staffy puppy Neha on 7/25/15 she is now 8.5 weeks old and every thing is going well at home except for two issues.

1) I am still working on the potty training. She seems to have frequent pee accidents in the crate even though I take her out every 2-3 hours but thankfully so far no pooping in the crate. The method I use is keeping her in the crate during the day when I am gone and at night when she sleeps with the radio on at a low volume to soothe her. As soon as I open the crate I take her outside first thing and when she goes potty outside praise her and give her a tasty treat. Is this the fastest way to potty train? or are there more effective methods?

2) The bigger issue I have is I try to burn Neha's energy as much as I can but lately outside it is over 90 degrees fahrenheit and very humid so I am worried she may overheat so just play with her indoors with toys and chasing balls to burn her energy which is nonstop. She now always wants to chase and bite my 2.5 year old male Bull Terrier Apollo and paw his face when he comes up to sniff her she is def a feisty girl. Even with a babygate up she will push it over by jumping on it to get to Apollo. Apollo will then chase her around playing but will then stand over her with his tail wagging in what seems to be a playful manner sometimes using his paw in a swatting manner to get her under him. If Neha continues to bite his face or mouth he will sometimes nip back not full bites with his mouth open.
I have already signed her up for puppy socialization classes but those start in Sept because of her birth date 5/27/15 and my vet does not suggest her being placed into the class sooner until her second round of vaccinations. What kind of interaction behavior is normal for an adult dog and puppy and what should I look out for? Apollo has been super socialized through classes and goes to the dog park daily with no issues with any size dog. Am I just overreacting with this kind of play? I just dont want either to feel uncomfortable and it to develop into a major problem down the road.

Bullylover2015
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

I posted this in the puppy forum but hopefully I can post here to get more replies  Empty Re: I posted this in the puppy forum but hopefully I can post here to get more replies

Post by Mia05 Wed Jul 29 2015, 16:51

Hi your pup will get the hang of doing the toilet outside , try and take the dog out after play, sleeping ideally as soon as after meals as possible you will get the odd accident really abt getting the timing right Smile . When the dog does go outside give them plenty praise .
I would give this a read but the behaviour your older dog is displaying sounds normal and not out of hand Smile http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/dog_body_language. At this stage you can still introduce your pup to other things until the vaccines have been done

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

I posted this in the puppy forum but hopefully I can post here to get more replies  B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

I posted this in the puppy forum but hopefully I can post here to get more replies  Empty Re: I posted this in the puppy forum but hopefully I can post here to get more replies

Post by stella Wed Jul 29 2015, 20:04

hia, pups dont have fully control of their bladders till around 6 months,so she will have little accidents,try making sure you take her out in the garden every hour and after she has eaten/had a drink,she'll soon get the hang of it with lots of praise and little treats too Big Grin
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Angieeee Wed Jul 29 2015, 22:07

I took Ruby out every half hour and after naps and eating..it felt like I was permanently up and down! But it only took a few days for her to understand and I would say she was done in 2 weeks. It's a pain putting them out every half hour but it's worth it. She had a couple of accidents after this but I just ignored it and put her outside while I cleaned it up. And of course u have to be really over the top when they do their business loads of praise. It was the first time I used this method and was so easy. Good luck and enjoy ur new addition!
Angieeee
Angieeee
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : 19 December 2014
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down