Pink needs more pudge. Any good treat recipes?

+3
Rachel33
Mia05
Cait
7 posters

Go down

Pink needs more pudge. Any good treat recipes? Empty Pink needs more pudge. Any good treat recipes?

Post by Cait Fri Jun 19 2015, 11:55

Okay you lovely people.
I need some ideas of how to help Pink gain a bit more pudge for her frame. She is a very active dog, spends two hours per day romping in the local meadows and streams, has access to my big garden where she spends a lot of her time running about playing dog football, tracking smells, paddling and pottering about.

She has been a bit of a nightmare to feed. Tends to be a typical white bull and sensitive to colours and preservatives. Hates the better quality dried kibbles preferring the nasty ones that leave her lumpy, itchy and runny, has been doing much better on Natures Diet which I have upped to 4 packs per day and she gets the very occasional pouch of Burns Fish. I was giving her a handful of dog biscuits till she started to go very itchy and runny when the recipe 'improved'. Tried introducing a raw diet but every time I have tried that it has just made her sick - all over my wool rugs of course.

Processed wheat is a problem, rough wholemeal flour is okay, she is BAD with salmon but okay with white fish and fish 4 dogs white sea jerky fish skins, pork upsets her but she is okay with lamb, chicken, turkey and occasional rabbit and beef. Now she has worked out there is this thing called 'treats' I am wondering if I should be offering more but I know the shop ones and Pink are a horrible mix. Had a go at making her some home made Banana biscuits, they must have been good as I came home to find my hubby eating them and Pink watching him with a forlorn expression. So far home made has not upset her so I am thinking of experimenting a bit more.

Has anyone got any really bombproof treat recipes their dogs love that might work for Pink?
Cait
Cait
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Pink
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Support total : 43

Back to top Go down

Pink needs more pudge. Any good treat recipes? Empty Re: Pink needs more pudge. Any good treat recipes?

Post by Mia05 Fri Jun 19 2015, 11:59

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Pink needs more pudge. Any good treat recipes? B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Pink needs more pudge. Any good treat recipes? Empty Re: Pink needs more pudge. Any good treat recipes?

Post by Mia05 Fri Jun 19 2015, 12:05

Theres a few recipes just remember and tell hubby they arent for human consumption Laughing

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Pink needs more pudge. Any good treat recipes? B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Jun 19 2015, 12:23

Tripe!! Know it's raw but many dogs tolerate/LOVE it and it's the best thing I've found for packing on weight. I would feed a square of raw tripe in the morning and a pack of ND at night. 4 packs of ND seems like an awful lot. I feed Bug 1.5 a day, she's a little older than pink but generally has 2 hours of activity a day and is in good shape with this. I give 3/4 of a pack for each meal, though I do up it if she's more active and usually also add a few raw eggs/tins of sardines a week too. I make tuna loaf for treats, but would be more concerned with meals rather than treats for getting on weight. Are her stools normal/has she had a vet check for thyroid etc? Can you attach a photo of her frame for us to have a look at? Most people are so used to seeing overweight dogs, a healthy dog can look thin in comparison.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Fri Jun 19 2015, 23:18

We bought a dehydrator and use beef, fish, chicken, turkey, and veggies as treats.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 20 2015, 09:35

Just out of interest, how did you try introducing raw? I wonder if there may be another way of trying it as it certainly does make it easier to know exactly what a dog's eating.

Fishy treats - our guys love these and they're very good value:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/natural_treats_fish/47245

The stink, but that's the price of love!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn&Pete Sun Jun 21 2015, 06:52

I also agree that a fit, healthy dog could give the impression of looking too skinny. What is her weight and height and also her age? Can you see her ribs or just feel them?
Pete
Lynn&Pete
Lynn&Pete
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Boson
Dog(s) Ages : May 2017
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by kattie Sun Jun 21 2015, 11:34

I agree too 4 packs seems an awful lot of food! millie is very active walking anywhere between 10 and 15 miles a day along with agility training each week to, she is very lean and some people think she is underweight but she isn't she is just fit and healthy
kattie
kattie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Millie Jasper
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years, 8 years
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 82

https://www.facebook.com/CanineCoachingCareDogWalkingServices?re

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon Jun 22 2015, 21:32

Do you know what it was with the raw that was causing her to be sick? When we first introduced it to Bane he struggled a little with bigger bones and this made him sick, so we switched to minces and he was fine!

As Rachel says Green Tripe is fantastic! Really easy on the stomach too Smile

We often make Bane liver cake and sardine oatcakes:
http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/news/the-dog-blog/liver-cake-recipe

http://www.bdws.co.uk/2012/12/06/sardine-oatcakes/

He loves them! You could try adding some peanut butter to fatten up the recipe a bit? We also get a lot of pigs heads from the butcher and we turn all of the skin into pork scratching treats for Bane. Pork is quite a fatty meat, but if you said she doesn't do well on it, maybe not one for her Smile
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down