Moved house - complaints already

5 posters

Go down

Moved house - complaints already Empty Moved house - complaints already

Post by Nalabala Sun May 24 2015, 14:01

We moved house just one week ago and tonight we came home to a letter on our door complaining about how our dog cries and howls when we aren't home. It was extremely passive aggressive, saying they are dog owners too and are concerned of her welfare and that they know we have just moved in but wanted to let us know how distressed she is and that they are sure there will be complaints to strata. They even made a comment about 'if you want to keep living in your apartment you will have to do something about !!YOUR DOG!!. I seriously felt like curling up into a ball and crying myself. They left no name, number or even townhouse number so I can't even go and talk to them like decent human beings. As dog owners, surely they know these things take time to adjust to. It's been a week!! And also, knowing this, apart from being annoyed at the letter (why not just come and talk to us? Or write a letter informing us what is happening as a heads up, so we can try to fix it rather than being so rude and passive aggressive. We are already working so hard on getting her used to having a two story house and a doggy door, now I am so worried about her when she is alone. I don't know what to do?! How do I stop her from doing this when we aren't home to hear it or correct it? She has toys, water, a kennel and a coat (they even said that in the letter 'we can see you provide shelter and a warm coat but it obviously isn't enough!'). Such a bad way to end a weekend. Sad
Nalabala
Nalabala
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Moved house - complaints already Empty Re: Moved house - complaints already

Post by Mia05 Sun May 24 2015, 15:20

They havent given the poor dog time to adjust or you for that matter , i would write a letter explaining your neighbours are complaining to your landlord and you need time for both you and your dog to adjust. While you're away is there anyway someone can sit in with nala while you are away at work this is terribk
Le they plainly could see your dog is well looked after but still chose to complain regardless. Makes me angry this does they could have waited a few months then maybe there would be a reason to complain but a week some folk honestly...

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Moved house - complaints already B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun May 24 2015, 20:42

Ridiculous, why didn't they just explain about the crying face to face. My neighbour did and even offered to pop in to see my Flo before she settled, which to be honest, was only a few weeks.

Some people don't realise the impact of their actions unfortunately Sad

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Moved house - complaints already B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Nalabala Sun May 24 2015, 21:50

That's guys! I know right? A week is nothing! We actually own the property which makes me even angrier that they can be throwing the 'if you want to keep living in your apartment' comment in. I would think as dog owners they'd have a bit more empathy. I think your suggestion to write in ourselves is a great one. I'll get my husband to call or email the strata managers to explain the situation.
Nalabala
Nalabala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun May 24 2015, 23:05

My ex has just moved flat and her boy has been barking at the door as its all new to him. he never usually does this what do you expect poor boy he is gonna be put out as is your guy.
personally i would pop the letter into the loo and use it next time you need to go because that's all its worth. don't focus on the demands of up there arse neighbors and get on with letting your guy kno its the new home.
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 25 2015, 08:41

I'd also have a think about what you might be able to do to reduce the barking. Maybe leave Nala with more to do, leave the radio on, or arrange for a dog walker to take her out. Not only will that hopefully help her settle more quickly, it will also show your neighbours you are taking steps to try and resolve the situation.

From the neighbours' point of view, a constantly barking dog can be very wearing (I know we have one next door!). Remember that they have no idea that Nala isn't like this always, it's not an unreasonable assumption for them to make that this is going to be on-going. I agree that the wording of the letter is way OTT, but I'd also say that they have a fair reason to be upset.

Getting angry and defensive won't help, it'll just get peoples' backs up further I would try and let everyone know that you are aware of the situation, apologise for the disturbance, and say are taking steps to try and improve it. I'd possibly buy everyone a goodwill gesture box of choccies or bottle of wine (depending on how many neighbours you have!). The last thing you want living in a flat is to have ill feeling and unpleasantness.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiV Tue May 26 2015, 05:15

Weak as

Cant stand people who hide behind anonymous letters if you havent the guts to say it in person dont say it.

Im sure the dog will be settled before you have any real issues.

cheers
RiV
RiV
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Nalabala Thu May 28 2015, 07:46

Thanks for the words of advice and support all! T
But that's the frustrating thing LizP... Rather than make assumptions about us and our dog, why not talk to us? I get that whining would be frustrating, I'm very considerate like that and understand it, especially as we hge a neighbour with a baby next door and I don't want to be making life harder for them. but how can we explain to them that she isn't normally like this if they don't give us a chance? We live in a townhouse, and have a block behind us also who we suspect it came from so we won't be buying anything for people, we'd be talking 4 or so townhouses between the two complexes.
We wrote to strata to give them a heads up, no one had complained yet and we are really hoping it doesn't come to that. We walk her twice a day, she had plenty of toys eyc so it isn't boredom, I think it's more of a case of separation anxiety. We haven't had any more letters, and we have started to allow her access to some of indoors by using a baby gate to block her from the rest of the house. We are HOPING it is helping but we have no way of knowing as we can't even ask the people which is a real shame. I'm sure she will get better as she gets used to the place.
Nalabala
Nalabala

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content