7 years of age

2 posters

Go down

7 years of age Empty 7 years of age

Post by Lizzie Sun May 03 2015, 18:18

My boy was 7 years old a couple of weeks ago and seems to have slowed down quite a bit.  He will still
play ball and go for walks, but seems quite content to cuddle up on the sofa, and he seems to sleep more.
He rests up after any exercise even if its only a quick game of ball. He isn't as cheeky as he always was
and no longer a hooligan.

Funny thing is when he was younger I used to pray for the day to come when he calmed down and now
he has I don't know whether to be worried or not Laughing

He had blood tests done recently and the results were fine.  The Vet did find that two of his teeth were
wearing down a bit and the gums had receded a little, so these will need to be removed in time.  Other
than that he seems well. He still likes his food but has been suffering from mild constipation recently.

To be honest although Harry is my 6th staffie I can't remember at what age my others became slower.
My last dog died at about 16 years of age, so he was an old boy for a long time.

Can anyone with a dog of similar age or older tell me of there experience please?

Lizzie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

7 years of age Empty Re: 7 years of age

Post by -Ian- Sun May 03 2015, 22:04

I have some experience of this Lizzie. My Flo was a little live wire when we first got her as a rescue at some estimated 6 years of age. We now think she's about 9 and loves to chase her Stix and chase the squirrels but has certainly slowed down. In fact we noticed it about a year ago which I think I posted about at the time.

I think they just mature and decide that some things are worth the effort and others aren't but having said that, I always stimulate Flo on walks etc just to get her to run and use some energy. Sometimes she walks as though she doesn't want to be out n about but we always find some scrape to get into and if there are two of us to walk with her even better.

At 7 I would think he's just cruising and enjoying the things he wants to do. If you notice real lethargy and disinterest then I would see the vet again.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

7 years of age B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down