Muzzle

5 posters

Go down

Muzzle  Empty Muzzle

Post by Goblin Sat Apr 18 2015, 18:30

Until I've got Gizmo in full control of the "Leave it" command I've made the decision to muzzle him. Vet and trainer both suggested Baskerville-type muzzle as the best option. Trainer tried to discourage me from muzzling him, but I'm viewing it in the same way as having him on the lead until his Recall is up to snuff. It's a short term solution only. He got hold of a massive chunk of pork bone on way back from trainer and came very close to choking on it. The highstreet where I live is covered in chicken bones and I'm so tense walking him I know it's making the whole situation worse.

Is this a stupid idea?
Goblin
Goblin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Muzzle  Empty Re: Muzzle

Post by Mia05 Sat Apr 18 2015, 18:36

The bones lying if it were me id report to environmental health muzzling in my opinion should only be when theres no other solution and a short term solution only Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Muzzle  B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sat Apr 18 2015, 19:14

Until leave it is strong enough, I don't think it's a bad idea at all for his safety. Just ensure that you muzzle train him gradually, I have used the Baskerville ultra and found it to be very good. The old style baskervilles I don't rate quite as much. To be fair though, in the time it will take to muzzle train him (around 2 weeks) you may be able to teach the leave command? Train both at the same time and see at the end which will be most useful. It's always useful to have a dog muzzle trained anyway, for emergencies. And keep him on a short lead around food. A dog that I walk is awful for this and will try to swallow ASAP if you try to take it away, it can be dangerous so a muzzle isn't a silly idea at all.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Sat Apr 18 2015, 22:29

Rachel33 wrote:Until leave it is strong enough, I don't think it's a bad idea at all for his safety. Just ensure that you muzzle train him gradually, I have used the Baskerville ultra and found it to be very good. The old style baskervilles I don't rate quite as much. To be fair though, in the time it will take to muzzle train him (around 2 weeks) you may be able to teach the leave command? Train both at the same time and see at the end which will be most useful. It's always useful to have a dog muzzle trained anyway, for emergencies. And keep him on a short lead around food. A dog that I walk is awful for this and will try to swallow ASAP if you try to take it away, it can be dangerous so a muzzle isn't a silly idea at all.

I agree
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Sun Apr 19 2015, 13:28

The street I walk on to get to the park is completely littered with chicken bones and ripped recycling bags filled with leftovers. His ability to spot them is way better than mine and like you said, he tries to swallow whatever he's nicked really quickly which is a bit terrifying if you don't know what it is.

To his mind nothing is as high value as a chicken bone, so I've got my work cut out with that one...
Goblin
Goblin

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Apr 19 2015, 17:02

Perhaps you could just use it around that area and then have him muzzle free when he's in a safer zone? It's not the end of the world to muzzle, and definitely better than choking on a chicken bone! But seems a shame to muzzle all of the time when it's a food issue. I would also complain to the council about the grot bags in your area!!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Sun Apr 19 2015, 17:09

I can see why you want him muzzled and it's a better option than a vet's visit, or worse - choking. Maybe try and minimise the time spent walking in 'risky' areas, though, so he doesn't have to wear his muzzle all the time when out.

I can sympathise, too. Bo doesn't tend to swallow anything dangerous anymore (he used to) but he will taste every single thing he finds, and I mean every one. He has colitis so even a tiny morsel can set off his arse antics. Yesterday it was bin juice followed by cat s**t and a dead rat, so today you can guess what his rear end is doing. He's only just finished his last course of anti-inflammatories but nothing will stop him eating pavement horrors. 'Leave it' to him means either 'Eat it' or 'Leave it and find something even more tasty'.
Dogface
Dogface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Support total : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Sun Apr 19 2015, 18:02

It's the street leading directly from my home to the park that's filled with chicken bones. Then, the street right next to the park is loaded with recycling bags that the cats/foxes/rats rip open during the night before the binmen have a chance to take them away.

My plan was always going to be muzzle for the streets of luscious road mank and then take it off when I get him into the park.
Goblin
Goblin

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Mon Apr 20 2015, 19:41

Muzzle bought. Stuck peanut butter at the end so he'd pop his head in and then kept it on him for less than 2 minutes whilst telling him what a good boy he was being and petted him. Took it off and rewarded him with tripe stick.
Goblin
Goblin

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Apr 20 2015, 20:01

Awesome!! Keep us updated with his progress. It took me 2 weeks to muzzle train Bug, but about 6 to muzzle train my previous foster so don't fret if it takes a while. It's pretty unnatural for them. Good luck Big Grin
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down