Happy Harley at 5 months and some neutering questions

+3
Inez Maria
doie1
b_phippsy
7 posters

Go down

Happy Harley at 5 months and some neutering questions Empty Happy Harley at 5 months and some neutering questions

Post by strangertongues Wed Apr 08 2015, 15:13

We've been seeing a lot more of his staffy smile since there's been a bit of sunshine! Harley's 5 months old now and doing really well, he's got a bunch of puppy pals and recently passed his first stage of puppy class! Love Struck

Happy Harley at 5 months and some neutering questions 11063624_10152911864243250_6924930646290169795_n
Happy Harley at 5 months and some neutering questions 10985026_10152911863853250_2947433743393155870_n
Happy Harley at 5 months and some neutering questions 11057310_10152911863918250_307977974728531195_n

It's coming to the time where we are thinking of when to have him neutered (as we always planned to do this) and a couple of people we spoke to adviced as soon as possible, we were going to go ahead when he reaches 6 months, but recently my boyfriend was told doing it early can stunt growth which I've been skeptical about (he wants him to be a big chunky man). I would rather do it sooner rather than later regardless!
strangertongues
strangertongues
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Dog(s) Ages : 14/11/2014
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Happy Harley at 5 months and some neutering questions Empty Re: Happy Harley at 5 months and some neutering questions

Post by b_phippsy Wed Apr 08 2015, 15:49

Aw Harley you are gorgeous Love Struck Hes looking great! I dont know a great deal about neuturing and hopefully someone will able to help you but we personaly wont do it until Harley is 18 months the vet advised us it was better for him to have his hormones first. I too have heard it stunts growth if its done early
b_phippsy
b_phippsy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years old
Support total : 78

Back to top Go down

Happy Harley at 5 months and some neutering questions Empty Re: Happy Harley at 5 months and some neutering questions

Post by doie1 Wed Apr 08 2015, 16:11

i was told 18 months too, too early and they could have problems with their joints? i think thats what i was told
doie1
doie1

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : howie
Dog(s) Ages : 18 WEEKS
Dog Gender(s) : male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Wed Apr 08 2015, 19:19

Aww well done Harley and yes what a smile! Love Struck

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Happy Harley at 5 months and some neutering questions B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Wed Apr 08 2015, 19:50

What a brilliant smile Big Grin Well done to you both on passing the first stage! star

I had my boy neutered just before he turned 1. No problems what so ever. If I could turn back time I would have left it longer, probably until he was fully grown, not for any particular reason, just so I knew he grew up without any interference so to speak.
KITA90
KITA90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Shéara & Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : Sheara 9, Mollie 8
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Wed Apr 08 2015, 20:43

What a gorgeous little smile Love Struck

Our vets urged us to get Bane done at 6 months but after reading a lot about it decided we would wait until at least 18 months so that he could grow up and mature. He is now coming up to 20 months.

Is there any reason you want to get him done as soon as possible?
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by strangertongues Wed Apr 08 2015, 22:48

Thanks for your replies guys! Well we kind of came to the decision when we first started speaking to our vets and to some other people on the park. Our vet was telling us about how its just easier early on? And also about problems with if he smelt a female nearby! I'm just worried about him legging it off from me or pulling me along behind on the lead at some point haha.
strangertongues
strangertongues

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Thu Apr 09 2015, 09:16

Having him neutered wont stop him smelling a female in heat and running off, he will still have instincts. Its purely to stop any accidents. My boy still mounts females on the odd occasion but at lest you can say it's okay, nothing will come of it!

I would wait until he's fully matured, until then, keep him under full control on a training lead, you can get 50ft + in length so he can still have a good run, it allows you to bring him back and practice recall in the meantime Smile
KITA90
KITA90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Shéara & Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : Sheara 9, Mollie 8
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu Apr 09 2015, 20:59

Haha being pulled over by Bane is a weekly occurrence these days Laughing We were told the same and that if he smelt a bitch in heat within a few miles he'd be jumping the walls and fences to get to her...am yet to see it! I just keep picturing like on that Dreamies cat treat add Laughing Bane running through walls to get to this dog!

If you want to wait, it's just a case of being a responsible owner. Bane is 20 months and not neutered and we have had no problems or found it any more difficult to handle him. We have come across a few females in heat at the park and yes he was very interested but so was our neighbours dog who is neutered.
But if you want to be safe then at the end of the day the decision is up to you Smile There are many pros and cons for both sides. Take a read around the net if you are still unsure!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Sat Apr 11 2015, 19:13

I got Gizmo neutered at 6 months. 3 reasons.
1)He was one of 13 and I don't want to be responsible for 13 more puppies needing good homes
2)Where I live there's a lot of un-neutered dogs wandering around off-lead and on-season in the parks, so he could wind up populating south london with tigerpuppies.
3) The possibility of him being stolen for fighting (he's a big, stocky fella) and/or breeding so I just wanted to reduce his desireability to thieves.
Goblin
Goblin

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by strangertongues Tue Apr 14 2015, 21:01

Thanks for your inputs guys, Goblin that's really interesting about your third reason. Me and my boyfriend are terrified of Harley being stolen - there's been more and more reports of it locally and it's awful. Obviously it's a big issue all over the UK but there's been more reports in Leeds - there are men hiding in bushes in a park not far from us with dog graspers and people cutting leads with knives (why we got a chain lead). We avoid that park and just walk him in the park locally where there's always dog walkers and they walk as a group everyday at 5pm. But I never thought of neutering being something that helped with deterring dog thieves - obviously people steal for other reasons but anything that put them off would be good.
strangertongues
strangertongues

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down