+2
chloexxx
simonsays
6 posters

Go down

SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Empty SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers

Post by simonsays Thu Jun 23 2011, 23:49

Hi everyone,

I currently have a 13 year old GSD that is not doing so great. We have been batteling a disease called Degenerative Myleopathy for over three years now and are reaching the inevitable conclusion. For the last year I have been convinced that I would not get another dog once Simon passes, but as I get closer to that reality...well...here I am.

I love love love GSDs and the large working breeds, but caring for a 90lb+ dog in it's geriatric years as a single woman living alone has put things in perspective. This is one of the main things that drew me to Staffies. They are a lot of dog in a smallish package. My boy is pretty aloof and I love what I have been reading online about how affectionate staffies can be.

So, in short, I am looking for a more demonstrative, less sheddy, happy-go-lucky, all around "sturdy" breed that can participate in some dog sport and will max out at less than 40lbs. I have found that mini bull terriers also fit this description. Does anyone have experience with these dogs? Can you tell me about your Saffies? What is the average lifespan? Are there marked working and show lines? (In GSDs the difference is vast and there is a lot of information on line about the varias styles within the breed. I have not seen any information on Staffies in my short research.)

I posted this in another staffy forum, but I think it may be inactive. Sorry so long, and thank you for reading!
-Desiree

simonsays
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Simon the German Shepherd
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Empty Re: SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers

Post by chloexxx Fri Jun 24 2011, 00:09

Hi there,

Before staffs I had GSD's always...

We had a pure white called Sav lost him last year, had to get him PTS due to CDRM he was 12 years old

We had a black and tan called Tara, lost her 3 years ago, she was 13 and died from an enlarged heart..

We already had Chloe when we lost both GS dogs, she is very different to the german shep's...

The GSD were very workman like, at times too big for the house, and very protective... Chloe is very human like, she talks, sleeps with us.. Much easier to manage around the house, not a great guard but as loving as they come.. I have now got another staff and would never go back to GSD...

Shedding is not really a problem with Chloe, no where near as much as the shepherds ( though having a white probably didn't help ).

All in all if you get a staff I promise you will not regret it, they are absolutely dogs that wish to be human..

My neighbours who also keep GSD and a Dalmatian have now added to the family.... A staff

You won't regret it
chloexxx
chloexxx
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chloe, Blake
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch/ Dog
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jun 24 2011, 00:20

Hi and welcome.

Simon sounds like an amzing dog, don't write him off just yet! From the off I have not a clue on GSD, bloodlines, breeding etc. But I do have the most amazing Staff. They can be as adaptable as you want them to be, all it takes is training. Agility, obedience, durability, anything! I haven't had any other breed, nor would I wish too.

Staffies are just the most amazing, loyal, clever, loving, obedient, strong, stunning, soft, stubborn dogs ever! In short are just great!

Oh and I don't know what a mini bull terrior is!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by simonsays Fri Jun 24 2011, 01:07

Thank you both for your input.

Janey, thank you, Simon IS amazing and he's been my best friend since I was 16 years old. I can't remember life before him and can't imagine life after him. We will fight for as long as he is able and willing. Please forgive me if my post suggested otherwise.

SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Arewegoing

SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Family

SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Drinklake

SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Simonrock

SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Gear

SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Newava1

And a few from his younger days:

SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Simon3

SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Simon2

SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Xatcouch

SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Simonpuppy

simonsays

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Simon the German Shepherd
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jun 24 2011, 01:25

Wow, Simon is one lovely GSD. Lovely pics of him. When the time is right I would always suggest a Staff. They are amazing Smile

Simon is so fab, would love to see/hear more about him Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 05:00

Handsome man. Staffies are indeed alot of dog in a small package. I'm not sure what a mini bull terrier is simply a British and American version similar to Bulldogs, the American version is larger. I recently lost my English Bulldog and it devastated my wife and I. I couldn't get anther Bulldog so after alot of research I decided on an AmStaff and haven't regretted it for a second. Good luck in dealing with Simon's health issues and I'm sure whatever breed you decide on will make a fantastic companion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 08:42

we used to have a GSD a pure white long haired one, I found them to be a bit unpredicatable and would not own another one, he only had one master which was my husband and would totally ignore me or anything I said, but if you spoke to my hubby he would tell you a different tale, he loved him.
I love staffies and grew up with them, they are lovely and playful.

Simon looks such a handsome dog, he markings are lovely

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 11:09

What a lovely boy he is! I love the pic on the chair, so typical. DM is a horrible illness, and I know it must be terrible for you to see him degenerate that way. However, I'm sure that he's really happy to have you - it certainly loks like it!

jstaff wrote: I'm not sure what a mini bull terrier is simply a British and American version similar to Bulldogs, the American version is larger.

Not really! The miniature bull terrier, although it has the same standard as astandard bull terrier, is a lot more lively & 'bossy'. They are great dogs, but need a LOT of work, far more than a staff. And be warned, mini bull terriers have several genetic health problems & if you're going to buy a decent one that has a chance of being free of these you're going to be paying around £1000 for a pup!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndon 75 Fri Jun 24 2011, 12:17

We had a long haired GSD loved that god dam dog, had to have him PTS has he developed really bad epilepsy and it really was not fair on him, have a tear in my eye just thinking of him.
Never intended to have another dog due to the heart brake of saying goodbye again
Still use to take food and blankets to the shelter as my bit, that's where I found my Benson, just one look at him I knew he was coming home with me, so glad I did Staffs are such a joy of a breed, would have an house full if I could.
If and when the time comes, give a Staffy a go, as said you will not regret it

All the best to you and Simon......
Lyndon 75
Lyndon 75
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Benson
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by kitten Fri Jun 24 2011, 13:06

Sorry to hear about your gorgeous boy.he's stunning.

I lost an alsation to a severe Illness.she was only 5. She was a madam though. Stubborn through and through. And only interested in my mum. No one else could get her to do a thing. However having also grown up with a staff and now owning one as an adult. I can honestly say they are do "human" affectionate lovin and funny.

I still love alsations but it don't think they are as needing in the cuddle department as Staffys.

I will always have a staffy in my life now and intend when Ripley is older and I'm not working full time to get involved with charity therapy work with her
kitten
kitten
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
SBTs vs Mini Bull Terriers Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ripley
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 15:04

He is gorgeous!!! =)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 15:50

yeah he looks like a big sook ! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tys mummy Mon Jun 27 2011, 12:58

Awww sorry to hear about your boy he looks like a stunner I love the pic of him on the chair lol.
If I could have a house full of staffys I would happily live the rest of my life as thats strange dog woman with the staffs lol they are so loveing its unreal. I say go for it get a staffy you wont regret it.
Tys mummy
Tys mummy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ty
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down