Rescue - food aggression

3 posters

Go down

Rescue - food aggression  Empty Rescue - food aggression

Post by Elaine149 Wed Jan 07 2015, 09:47

Hi everyone

My boyfriend and I are thinking about rescuing. We want a staffy because that's the breed he grew up with at his parents house. Their female staffy cross is his favourite dog they've ever had Smile

Our one stipulation on rescuing is that we get a young dog/dog who is ok with cats because we already have a cat.

I've been in contact with a local rescue organisation. They're not really a shelter, they take dogs into foster care and then try and find new homes for them.

The dog I've been asking about is a 9 month old female Amstaff. She has lived with cats before, is gentle around children and is great with other dogs. She sounds lovely, however has a food aggression problem. It's the reason why she was put into foster care, her food aggression was causing her to fight with the other dog at home.

The rescue has already asked me about the cat and where the cat eats, because she won't be able to be anywhere near the dog when she has food.

I'm currently waiting for the rescue to call me to organise an interview and house inspection, because they don't approve new homes until they've checked the backyard is secure/suitable etc.

I guess what I'm asking is for any advice or information on dog food aggression. I've never really owned a dog before and my boyfriend doesn't have any experience with this. Would we be taking on more than we could handle? Should we think about looking for another dog that would be ok with our cat?

Thanks for reading
Elaine

Elaine149
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Rescue - food aggression  Empty Re: Rescue - food aggression

Post by gillybrent Wed Jan 07 2015, 10:09

Food aggression can be very difficult to sort out once it's ingrained. You would have to keep the cat away at all times around food - not just dinner time, so it would be a mammoth task.

It isn't impossible, but I'm surprised that a rescue centre would even consider rehoming a dog with food aggression, let alone a home that already has another animal. I would say that's more than a little irresponsible.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Jan 07 2015, 10:40

I don't think you will be able to gain relevant advise from the forum for such a complex issue unfortunately. Best to talk to the rescue and work with a behaviourist if you decide to go ahead. Is the food aggression only aimed at other animals, or people too? Do you know her background?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Elaine149 Wed Jan 07 2015, 11:58

I was told she comes from a nice home but the issues with the other dog are the reason for the foster home. I was going to ask about if the aggression is also towards people when they call me, it only occurred to me the other day when I was thinking about it. I also wondered if it extends to water bowls, because I can't stop my cat from drinking out a water bowl if she wants to...
I think if the food aggression is also towards people it may be a no go...I think it would cause us too much stress.

Elaine149

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 07 2015, 18:24

I agree, Rachel. I think it can be overcome (we've done it), but it does all depend on the dog and on you. Would the rescue let you take her on trial, and you book a behaviourist come out straight away so she can be assessed in your home?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down