HELP! Should I rehome....

5 posters

Go down

HELP! Should I rehome....  Empty HELP! Should I rehome....

Post by Hollz88 Mon Oct 20 2014, 10:44

[b]I have two, 7 month old staffy bitches from the same litter.

They are both extremely clever, loving dogs but the play fighting drives me nuts! They cannot be let out in the garden together as they just charge around destroying everything by crashing into it when fighting.

Since I have got them from 8 weeks old it has improved and they definitely listen to me a lot more but will this change when their first seasons come in etc?

A friend of ours is looking after one pup for a week to see whether her daughter would be able to look after a dog full time and our house is so calm now.

Should I think about letting her keep the one pup or will the two improve here as they get older?
I love them both and torn between what is best for both dogs and me!

Thanks in advance Smile

Hollz88
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

HELP! Should I rehome....  Empty Re: HELP! Should I rehome....

Post by Amelie Mon Oct 20 2014, 11:07

They're playing.....whats wrong with that? they are puppies it is what they are meant to do, how did you think puppies would behave. I doubt it will calm down my two oldest are 5 in November and they still rough house it and its awesome watching them do zoomies and play together its what dogs do..its what happy, social dogs do, they are clearly bounded so no i wouldn't personally separate them, will they get play date and see each other still, is this owner responsible? with time and finances need to look after a pup?

Amelie
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Oct 20 2014, 11:22

I would very rarely recommended keeping siblings - it's generally a very bad idea. Lots of behavioural reports written about this, sure you could find some online. Can't go too indepth right now as I'm on my phone. But generally one dog to socialize and train through puppyhood and adolescence is more than enough - trying to train two isn't often successful. But at the same time - totally understand that they're you're dogs and you adore them. My parents took in siblings when I was a kid and even them being experienced dog owners, they were never suitably trained, and actually quite out of control in public. We rehomed one eventually as had to go completely back to basics with the other as she had missed half of her training while we were working on the other.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollz88 Mon Oct 20 2014, 11:26

I absolutely adore them both and make sure I spend a lot of one on one time with training etc.

I just don't want this play fighting to turn into actual aggression for 'top dog' title eventually and then will they ever resolve this issue?
I have read hundreds of forums and a lot say they will dislike each other more when they get older.

I have put in 5 months of hard work so far and prepared to do it for the rest of their lives but I am just after other peoples experiences as would hate to miss a perfect opportunity for both dogs to be even happier.

Lily's holiday home is wonderful, really nice family, more then capable financially and so she would be just as loved there as she is here.

I honestly do not want to see my girl go but am I being selfish?

Hollz88

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Oct 20 2014, 11:29

It's such a tough decision to make - what was your reasoning for getting litter mates initially? Can you manage the play fighting - e.g if you tell them to stop and settle, do they listen? Is it just you on your own with them, or are there others at the house that can help with training/occasionally walk separately etc? And do you feel that they are more bonded with eachother than with you?
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollz88 Mon Oct 20 2014, 11:42

They were an accidental litter and the owners were struggling to rehome any of the 9 pups so I had two as was worried about where they would end up.

I work from home so have plenty of time for them and my partner is here evenings/weekends so not on my own.

Actually neither of the pups seem to be missing each other as I do spend a lot of time taking them out on their own for walks etc.

We have a 12 year old black lab for company and obviously he will not be around in 12-18 months most likely as he is very old so need to think about how one dog will cope being on her own.

They are well trained but its just the constant competing on walks and fighting all the time.

They do listen for 5 mins and then carry on! lol

Hollz88

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Oct 20 2014, 11:48

we only had 2 dogs in our house for 6 months(sons ex girl friends pup lived with us for a short time)sash was 8 then and the pup was 6 months old,both being staffies they played hard,things would go flying as they played!it was brilliant to watch and we laughed so much,they were male and female and there was 4 of us to watch over their play time,they were never left alone together when no one at home.if you have the time and you feel you can cope with them both.be honest with yourself for you and your dogs Smile
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollz88 Mon Oct 20 2014, 11:55

I have separate crates for them, as heard you should never crate dogs together, which works really well.

I am torn as what to do for the best but you are all helping loads

Thanks Big Grin

Hollz88

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Oct 20 2014, 12:05

we just want the best for your dogs and you,i realize what a hard decision you are having to make,when staffies play it can look and sound like they are being aggressive but its not,its just the way they play Rolling Eyes
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Niffer Mon Oct 20 2014, 18:59

My neighbour adopted two sibling girls, border collie/jack russell or corgi mix - quite small. She thought it'd be perfect but they don't get on. She thought it was play fighting when then were little pups but now they're 3 years old they still fight - but nastily. It is only occasional and usually when ones getting fuss and the other feels left out etc., - but..........
Niffer
Niffer
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo aka Michaelangelo
Dog(s) Ages : 14/09/2013
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down