Chance to rehome a 8month old staffy bitch

4 posters

Go down

Chance to rehome a 8month old staffy bitch Empty Chance to rehome a 8month old staffy bitch

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 09:47

Morning all, I got a chance of rehoming a 8 month old staffy bitch. The owners are separating and having difficults taking care of the dog. I've jumped in "guns blazing", and said yes. My hubby isnt happy, and I now agree with him. It's not he doesnt want another dog, It's because we're going away for a week and the end of the month. oooppss!
I'm so impulsive, we really want another, but what a stupid thing to do. I've mailed them to say we're happy to take her when we get back home, thats if they can wait. I cant belive i said yes, without knowing the history of this girl. I'd love some advice please Surprised

Back to top Go down

Chance to rehome a 8month old staffy bitch Empty Re: Chance to rehome a 8month old staffy bitch

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 10:05

Best to ask the current owners some questions i.e is she housetrained, crate trained, dog/cat/child friendly, what she like on lead etc. Congrats for taking her on she will be a good friend for kenny d. Maybe you should ask if they would babysit her for the week you are away then you could have her now Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Chance to rehome a 8month old staffy bitch Empty Re: Chance to rehome a 8month old staffy bitch

Post by Mark Mon Dec 03 2012, 10:10

We want another dog but it does come with added worries and responsibilities think long and hard before accepting another. I would have done exactly the same as you though I love them to bits Big Grin
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 10:18

Yes, it was a silly thing to do, as you've no idea of her history etc. I know you've done it with the best of intentions, but still.

Has she been spayed? If not & she hasn't had a season yet, she might be due! Will she & Kenny get on ok? You'll only know that once you've had a chance to introduce them & then bring her into your home. What's her health like? Has she had any training?

I'm sure you'll work it out, but if you ask nothing else, make sure you ask if she's been spayed or had a season yet!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 10:45

I agree Caryll, I'd emailed them saying yes, then emailed them straight back asking all sorts of questions regarding her health, spayed, behavour and any problems they may have. I've also explained our situation about being away and explained that it would be unfair on her for me to take her , then have to leave her. If alls well and they can wait, I'll take her.I just cant belive how stupid i was Surprised
I read one sob story and im there.
I'll let you know how it all works out. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 11:18

Just got a reply, with pics attached. She's great with kids, dogs, not sure about their not sure about cats. We'll being meeting up soon for her and Kenny to meet. Her breeder will keep her until the 6th if they get along.
My only issue is how she is with cats. Im wondering will she be set in her ways with them already? Or is this something we could over come. When we had our cat, our dogat the time was 14. She wasnt keen on cats, but i slowly introduced them. They were the best of friends then. Im wondering could it work this time. What do you think, could she be cat aggressive at 8 months ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Dec 03 2012, 11:48

You dont go paddling in the pool do you Laughing straight in the deep end there, you are very brave Laughing

I hope it all works out well for you, will you be able to introduce the two dogs on neutral ground and maybe go for a walk together before they are sharing a home ??

Do you know if she is microchipped or not? Do you have an insurance quote?? What does she eat at the moment??
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 11:59

kathytake2 wrote:You dont go paddling in the pool do you Laughing straight in the deep end there, you are very brave Laughing

I hope it all works out well for you, will you be able to introduce the two dogs on neutral ground and maybe go for a walk together before they are sharing a home ??

Do you know if she is microchipped or not? Do you have an insurance quote?? What does she eat at the moment??
Oh god, I really didnt think of any of this. The stud owner who sired her is ringing later. I'll have a good chat. I really have to stop doing this. We going to meet up 1st, see how they get on. He'll have to come to me tho, (if he's prepared) as i want to see how she is with my cat. My OH raised eyebrows with me. If she's to be ours, we'll be getting her on the 6th of January. They've already confirmed that they will take care of her for me until then (if all get along), if not, they'll keep looking for a new home. I have to be honest tho, a break down in a relationship is a lame excuse to rehome. Im wondering if it's they cant cope with her Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 14:30

I never understood that reason for rehoming a dog. It's part of the family, surely one person would still want it. But then, maybe they wouldn't have the time or money on their own or something. Still, make sure you ask all the important questions and see how she gets on with Kenny...and the cat. If you've thought about it properly, then go for it. A lot of good decisions are made on impulse, but I think the important thing is not to act on the impulse. By which I mean, don't be afraid to change your mind if you decide it isn't a good idea, because of course it requires thinking about.

Good luck though, hope all goes well Smile. Also, don't you EVER browse any sites with sob stories about dogs or you'll have to get a mansion with a giant garden and keep like 100 dogs Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster bumble Mon Dec 03 2012, 21:04

Love to here how they got on
Buster bumble
Buster bumble
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 4and a half month
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 21:54

The breeder still hasnt rang. I think we're going to wait. There's plenty needing homes. I've decided this as London isnt practical to introduce and visit regulary. Also, i havnt really thought this out. Theres also another person prepared to help, who live'scloser to London than i do.
What was i thinking Surprised , theres some training issues with Kenny atm, so best i get my boy sorted 1st. Im feeeling pretty * over this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 03 2012, 22:02

kenny d wrote:The breeder still hasnt rang. I think we're going to wait. There's plenty needing homes. I've decided this as London isnt practical to introduce and visit regulary. Also, i havnt really thought this out. Theres also another person prepared to help, who live'scloser to London than i do.
What was i thinking Surprised , theres some training issues with Kenny atm, so best i get my boy sorted 1st. Im feeeling pretty * over this.

Sounds like a wise move , you have to be 100% before committing to something like this or you go over the edge or a dog ends up in another rescue Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Tue Dec 04 2012, 00:56

kenny d wrote:The breeder still hasnt rang. I think we're going to wait. There's plenty needing homes. I've decided this as London isnt practical to introduce and visit regulary. Also, i havnt really thought this out. Theres also another person prepared to help, who live'scloser to London than i do.

Glad to hear it, but don't feel bad. You did the right thing.

Just an FYI, when you do get back to getting another, Frosty was 8 months when I rescued him. He had a very high prey drive and I had to rehome my wife's cat for his (cat's) safety. Neighbors cat was not so lucky... Just good to keep in mind. Some dogs are just really high prey drive.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 04 2012, 08:00

Thanks for your support guys,. it means alot. I'm going to sort my boy out 1st. I really would like to rehome, but thinking about it, Kenny is really ott with me, follows me every where, sleeps next to me, waits for me in the window and so on, i dont think he'd like to share me tbh xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down