AussieStaff
janey
Sazzle
13 posters

Go down

Finding it difficult Empty Finding it difficult

Post by Jackson14 Sat Sep 20 2014, 22:47

Hi,

I just wanted to post up because I just got Jax 4 days ago and he's 9 1/2 weeks old but I'm finding it really  stressful and difficult knowing if I'm doing the right things plus I have 2 kids and 4 cats and I feel under major pressure to get things right and keep everyone happy and safe.

I've read so much advice online that I've confused myself a little bit. I'm just finding some of his behaviour really stressful to cope with. For example he was barking at and chasing the cats and if we said no or blocked him then he got a lot more exited and out of control and got a bit growly and nippy towards me.

Also he's a bit more nippy with the kids because he gets more excited with them than us and they are a bit scared of him doing it again.

Lastly when he eats he goes mad for his food and eats it very quickly. When we try and put our hands near the bowl or touch thd food then he barges your hand out of the way with his body. I managed to get in between and get my hand over his food as a test to get him used to people near his food and he never bit or nipped or bit me so I'm confused about if that is something to worry about.

I really don't want to rid of him because he can be really calm and well behaved. It's hard to tire him out as we are not allowed to walk him for 7 more weeks due to jabs. I'm trying to get him into a puppy club asap.

Sorry for the long post but I just need some help and reasurrance that things will work out ok. Thanks for taking the time to read.
Jackson14
Jackson14
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jackson
Dog(s) Ages : 10 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Finding it difficult Empty Re: Finding it difficult

Post by Sazzle Sat Sep 20 2014, 22:53

Puppies are hard work and can be stressful so it's normal how you are feeling, also his behavior sounds like normal puppy behavior, read this it may help with the biting, it takes time and a lot of patience but he will learn

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/stop_your_staffy_puppy_biting

As you can't walk him yet why not start some training in the house, that will be mental stimulation for him.

With the food, try adding a little while he's eating, rather than covering the bowl, then he won't see you coming over as such a bad thing Smile
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Sep 20 2014, 23:21

They are hard work, mind games and consistence training - you'll get bored of your own voice bu it works Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieStaff Sun Sep 21 2014, 00:02

It's hard work but if you lay down the ground rules now (consistency is the key, from all family members) it will sort its self out. All sounds like normal puppy behaviour to me. I remember feeling like crying days on end when I brought my 8wk old puppy home. Hang in there, use the forum as much as you need as we all have different experiences and always here to listen. Hang in there, I doubt you're doing anything wrong at this stage more a case of pushing the boundaries from pup. x
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 21 2014, 06:08

Can only echo the above - all sounds normal. Make sure you all get involved with training and consistency.

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Sun Sep 21 2014, 09:02

It's never too early to start training. Mental stimulation will tire him out.
You can teach him sit, down, wait etc. Use some tasty treats, lots of patience and lots of praise when he begins to understand. Smile
silver
silver

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Toots
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 103

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackson14 Sun Sep 21 2014, 17:16

Thanks a lot for the advice & support guys.

He growled and lunged at my other half today while I was at work and she was feeding him which was upsetting for her and she's been in tears about it. I put his food in gradually as he was eating and he didn't do it to me but he is very possesive over his food.

Also I wanted to ask, if he is jumping up at the kids then is it ok for them to gently push him down when he tries to jump up and lick their face? And to tell him no and to stop giving him attention when he is exitible?

I don't wanna sound like an idiot bu I'm so stressed that I feel like i'm gonna puke and I'm verging on panic attacks.

Thanks again everyone. It means a lot.

Jackson14
Jackson14

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sun Sep 21 2014, 18:04

Echo the normal puppy behaviour comments at this age it is not aggression pup has just come from a litter where he would have battled with his siblings for the best food they would have climbed all over each other and chances are being a cute pup cuddles and licking hoomans has been encouraged 

The key will be the whole family training the same way with the jumping up a single 'no' and turn your back on Jackson (staffys hate to be ignored) too much talk is giving the attention, get training sit, lie, stay, wait etc lots of fuss and treats when he is good and again you can train to only eat from his bowl or take treats on your 'ok' when he is calm and makes eye contact with you
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackson14 Mon Sep 22 2014, 11:35

After using the advice here things are heading in the right direction it seems so thank you all for that.

I've taught him to sit and he picked it up quickly. It only took a few treats. Just gotta get the kids doing it later and I'm now working on 'leave it' & 'drop it' as he attaches himself to his puppy pad or tissue sometimes when we try to clean up his mess.

Then it's just working on feeding time and involving the kids and meeting the cats.
Jackson14
Jackson14

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Mon Sep 22 2014, 22:04

He sounds like he is being a typical mischievous puppy Smile

Does he sit still enough that you could carry him around outside? We would wrap Bane in a blanket and walk to the shops carrying him or just walk around so he could see and smell "the outside world" just that would knacker him out!

Also get on with some training! They are very intelligent. Now he can sit, try teaching stay, lay down, roll over, paw, high five. There are lots of fun things that I'm sure the kids would love to teach him and the mental stimulation will tire him out more than running crazy around the house.

Also now he knows sit, make him do so before you put his dinner down. And then slowly work on making him stay and not eating until you say so.
Most of us went through this Big Grin It is hard and they know all the best ways to wind you up!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackson14 Tue Sep 23 2014, 19:22

Thank you, that's really good advice & reassuring. I managed to get him into a puppy class & that starts next Monday so that should help a bit.

I'm still highly stressed & it's making me ill with worry but hopefully that will pass. cheers
Jackson14
Jackson14

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Tue Sep 23 2014, 19:29

Personal question - do you have a tendency towards stress anyway, or was this just a really bad time to get a puppy? They can be testing, but it shouldn't be stressing you so much that it's making you ill?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Tue Sep 23 2014, 19:30

Remember the dog will pick your anxiety up try a level voice at all times it does get better

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Finding it difficult B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackson14 Tue Sep 23 2014, 20:13

Yeah I do have a problem sometimes with anxiety but I didn't realize getting a puppy would send it so far of the scale.

I've put in a lot of work the last week and he's made some good progress and he does listen to me more than anyone else in the house. He's a great pup, it's just me that's the problem.

Jackson14
Jackson14

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Sep 24 2014, 07:39

Ah okay I see, I think in the long run he will actually really help with your anxiety, I know my dog has helped with mine and many other members of the forum just by being a constant source of comfort that never really changes.

You're not a problem! In training it usually is people that falter, not the dogs, but you guys are learning together. He will go through all sorts of different stages until he reaches maturity and he will probably continue to test your nerves and push boundaries for a while yet! Try and see some humour in it, they're very funny and cheeky and that age. Any training questions that you have, the forum is here for help and support! Just remember to breathe and try not to panic. If you feel yourself getting stressed around the pup just take yourself out of the situation and try again. When he starts exercising and meeting people/dogs etc he may calm down a little more again. These things take time though and pups are a work in progress Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Wed Sep 24 2014, 11:41

Rachel33 wrote:Try and see some humour in it, they're very funny and cheeky and that age.

Very true, if you can't laugh about it then you're in trouble. The other day Bo stopped in the street and I thought he was looking at another dog so I stopped too and checked out the view, waiting for him. When I looked down he was finishing up peeing down the side of my leg. He looked at me then, and wagged his tail. Hopefully nobody saw me shaking piss off my leg and laughing like a loon.
Dogface
Dogface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Support total : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by fay_elizabeth Thu Sep 25 2014, 11:41

Just wanted to say that I suffer from anxiety too, so totally feel your pain on this one. I got my dog Pru (now 6 months) when she was 8 weeks old and it was a big shock to my system! I promise things do get much easier, it just takes a lot of patience. Try not to get stressed or wound up and if you need a breather put Jax in his crate for a few minutes and take a breaK. Try to really enjoy the moments where he's good or sleeping soundly and think of that when he's misbehaving. Sounds like everyone has given you excellent training tips, good luck and keep us updated!
fay_elizabeth
fay_elizabeth
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Prudence
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Support total : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Sep 25 2014, 14:20

Glad it's going in the right direction Smile Remember that he's just a baby and they don't come fully trained, it's up to you to train him but I can see you've signed up for puppy classes so that's great, you'll really enjoy them I know I did Big Grin
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Sep 26 2014, 19:51

All great advice from everyone above. Not a lot I can add except, patience, love & consistency will see you through. In a short while you'll wonder what all the fuss was about Big Grin

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Finding it difficult B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down