Advice needed please

2 posters

Go down

Advice needed please Empty Advice needed please

Post by michenko25 Sun Aug 17 2014, 21:54

I'm new here so first of all, hello! I'm hoping you can give me some insight into a problem that arose 2 weeks ago with my 2 year old staffie bitch Bonnie.

On a walk with our dog walker two weeks back, Bonnie 'went' for a Jack Russell. This is completely out of character for her as she's usually submissive with dogs even half her size. There was no contact made, not even fur, but the lady with the Jack Russell has reported the dog to the police. Since then a police handler has been round the house to talk to us and see the dog. The incident was then downgraded from a report of a dangerous dog to a misunderstanding, with the policeman telling us that we do not need to muzzle the dog, nor keep her on a lead at all times, just to keep a lead handy. I'm not joking, she's the only staffie I've ever had, and of the 8 dogs I've owned she's the softest yet!

Anyway, today while chucking tennis balls for Bonnie and my other dog with my 10 year old step-daughter, a man crossed the grassy area with his phone in hand, and I could here the click of the shutter sound. I let him walk past and turned my head to watch him quite obviously taking a photo of Bonnie. I confronted him on the basis that as my step-daughter was with me, why was he taking photographs? He kept walking while denying that he was taking photos and refused to prove that he wasn't. After telling my partner about it she mentioned that the woman who complained was standing outside our house across the street at the same time looking at the driveway where the dogs stay out on a nice day (it's fully gated). It since turns out the man is the husband of the woman who complained, neither of which we knew before the initial incident.

We have recorded it, but haven't told the police or anything as it's most likely a waste of their time. I'm slightly paranoid now if the dog is left outside as she would literally go with anyone, and I would hate to think they'd do anything. Why would they take pictures of the dog??

What should be our next step? Do we just keep a record of such things until they ring the police again? They obviously feel put out that the incident was downgraded to a misunderstanding. As far as I'm aware this is borderline harassment of ourselves, and persecution of the breed.

Thanks for any input, Alex
michenko25
michenko25
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bonnie
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice needed please Empty Re: Advice needed please

Post by Nathan Sun Aug 17 2014, 22:04

Meh, people with nothing better to do on there hands. personally i would have asked him why he was taking photos of the step daughter if you catch my drift  Wink but then im an argumentative git, sure he wont come near you with a camera again though.
read up on the 1871 dogs act, the dangerouse dogs act as forwarned is forarmed. you can also contact DDAWATCH free of charge for advice.
it is harrasment and sour grapes, any dog can take a disliking to another dog, my girl is a real git for it it happens but as long as they are under your control you are withing the law.
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by michenko25 Sun Aug 17 2014, 22:10

Thanks Nathan. Didn't know about DDAWATCH so will have to check it out. From years of owning dogs, I've never seen someone over-react like this. Poor staffies.
michenko25
michenko25

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bonnie
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Aug 17 2014, 22:16

used them myself so can vouch for them 100% good luck and keep us posted. its not so scarey when you know all the facts
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down