Biting

3 posters

Go down

Biting Empty Biting

Post by beesha Thu Jun 19 2014, 22:34

I have a 5 month old pup who's generally well behaved, social & calm dog. A few occasions recently when walking home after a walk or visiting my parents he jumps up at me snapping, biting and become uncontrollable. He's bruised my hands, arms, ripped clothing and I've had to either stand on his leash or tie him to a fence to stop him. This always happens at the same bit of road and recently I've tried distracting him with food as we get to that point. Today he done it when my brother was walking him and has left him bruised and actually drew blood. I'm totally devastated, i feel really bad that he's done this to someone else and not surprisingly my brother will no longer walk him.

I was hoping that it was just a puppy thing but I'm getting concerned now and need to nip this in the bud but not sure of the best way to go about it.

Any tips or info would be much appreciated.
beesha
beesha
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Otis
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Biting Empty Re: Biting

Post by -Ian- Thu Jun 19 2014, 22:46

Wow.. Can fully understand why you're concerned. You say it happens at the same place each time, is there another dog nearby ? Sounds like something is setting him off at that spot.

He's generally well behaved so there must be something there... Can you cross the road or walk another way ?.. I know that doesn't really answer the why though.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Biting B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Biting Empty Re: Biting

Post by JStaff Fri Jun 20 2014, 01:19

Could be as Ian says. Also consider he is likely teething and still learning bite inhibition. I wouldn't consider it aggression and is simply play activity that he hasn't learned to control. He is also teething at that age so biting and chewing helps ease the pain. You should try feeding ice cubes or other frozen treats. Here is a link that will help

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/stop_your_staffy_puppy_biting
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859