introductions

4 posters

Go down

introductions Empty introductions

Post by chloexxx Mon Jun 06 2011, 12:00

Hi guys, any advice would be great.. Thanks in advance

I own a 4 yr old staff girl, had her from 6 weeks old, and she is ultra spoiled... I mean she sleeps in bed, eats with family.. she even picks lottery numbers each week, she is a true family member in every sense of the word. She is still un-spayed, we do however intend to get her done soon.. The reason we haven't had her done yet is last time she was in vet hospital she cried her heart out !!

Yesterday we bought a new puppy friend for her, he is 8 weeks old male... We introduced them all went great, she was very tolerant, just one incident when he tried to steal her treat she give him a tough warning, but just a growl. Went to bed as normal, Chloe in bed as usual, we thought it best to put Blake in a crate by the bed, as she would not have accepted him on the bed. He cried ALL night bar just 35 mins, Chloe is not impressed, and has growled at him a number of times this morning, she is also ignoring me completely, she is in one big strop.... Won't even look at me. I feel like I have betrayed her, but she will always be my princess. The pup is very clingy, as soon as I move he yelps terribly, and this is making her worse...

Any advice guys I just don't want to upset either of them Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
chloexxx
chloexxx
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
introductions Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chloe, Blake
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch/ Dog
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

introductions Empty Re: introductions

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 12:41

I understand u dont want chloe to feel pushed out etc but remember that poor little pup is probably absolutley terrified, hes only a tiny baby ans everything is new and scary and hes probably missing his mum and litter mates. I think you are going have to be a bit harder on chloe and its seems she has been a bit spoilt lol and is throwing a strop but u cant except her growling/snapping at him, if she thinks that behaviour is ok she will keep on doing it and will only make pup feel worse. Dont react to chloe when she is stropping, treat it as unwanted behaviour ie ignore her, when she gets over it and is normall make a big fuss of her so she learns that behaviour will not get her anymore attention. When pup goes to bed give him a hot water bottle and maybe keep a low telly on for him, he may even be better outside your room where he cannot see chloe up with u getting all the attention, can chloe be moved into her own bed? A ticking clock has also been sugested before to simulate mums heart beat to comfort young pups. Make sure chloe still had her to herself sometimes and gets your full attention ie when pups sleeping in crate or whatever and makesure pup gets the same, alone time with u. Also lots of supervised play together with toys or whatever. If chloe gets snappy over treats never give them treats or high value toys chews etc together, always separate them as u dont want unnessesery niggles. Good luck x

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Mon Jun 06 2011, 13:33

Learn't that lesson with treats last night.... Did give them both a treat, but he decided hers looked nicer lol.. Was nothing major, she just growled and chased him from her treat...... doggie manners I think.

She sleeps in the bed so pup can't really see her, and once asleep she doesn't move at all... though she snores like an elephant... Chloe doesn't have a bed of her own, she shares ours and always has done.. I would happily let pup on the bed too, however Chloe is not likely to find that acceptable.

She is stropping this morning for sure, she is growling cause pup wont let her sleep, he keeps bothering her and she keeps growling, she hasn't snapped yet.. Just being unsociable shall we say lol
chloexxx
chloexxx
introductions Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Jun 06 2011, 13:44

You need to be careful to treat them both in the exact same way so that they learn how to behave with one another and so chloe learns she cant bully the puppy. To be honest it sounds like she is behaving totally normally, she is ignoring the pup and the only time she has told him off is when he went to take her treat which is fair enough! As blaze has said ignore her when she is having a tantrum, correct her if she is obviously mean or unfair to him (tell her off and if she carries on pup her in another room for a minute). You will find that it takes a while for them to settle in and accept one another, Chloe will probably be a bit cold with him at first, but who can resist that squishy puppy charm!

I would invite the pup onto the bed, not necessarily to sleep but just so that chloe realises she isnt better than the puppy and she isnt the only one who gets on the bed. If she growls or snaps simply push her off the bed onto the floor, same again until she realises its your bed and you will let whoever you want onto it! Hot water bottles and ticking clocks for night time (only warm water in the hot water bottle though just in case!). Leave them to get to know each other and for chloe to tell him off if he deserves it, only get involved if you think the pup or chloe are getting a little bit too rough. If she is growling at him she wants to be left alone, and fair enough for her to growl again if Blake doesnt! She sounds like she is just trying to teach him some manners Smile
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06 2011, 14:03

Nosipho wrote:You need to be careful to treat them both in the exact same way so that they learn how to behave with one another and so chloe learns she cant bully the puppy. To be honest it sounds like she is behaving totally normally, she is ignoring the pup and the only time she has told him off is when he went to take her treat which is fair enough! As blaze has said ignore her when she is having a tantrum, correct her if she is obviously mean or unfair to him (tell her off and if she carries on pup her in another room for a minute). You will find that it takes a while for them to settle in and accept one another, Chloe will probably be a bit cold with him at first, but who can resist that squishy puppy charm!

I would invite the pup onto the bed, not necessarily to sleep but just so that chloe realises she isnt better than the puppy and she isnt the only one who gets on the bed. If she growls or snaps simply push her off the bed onto the floor, same again until she realises its your bed and you will let whoever you want onto it! Hot water bottles and ticking clocks for night time (only warm water in the hot water bottle though just in case!). Leave them to get to know each other and for chloe to tell him off if he deserves it, only get involved if you think the pup or chloe are getting a little bit too rough. If she is growling at him she wants to be left alone, and fair enough for her to growl again if Blake doesnt! She sounds like she is just trying to teach him some manners Smile

Thats what i was trying to say lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Mon Jun 06 2011, 14:10

Did give them the same treat, a dentistick thingy. even made sure they were both the same colour.... Gave Chloe hers a fraction of a second before I gave him his, but he decided her's was nicer...... Typical bloke I would say lol

Both asleep at last, might be able to hoover now !!
chloexxx
chloexxx
introductions Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Jun 07 2011, 13:51

chloexxx wrote:Did give them the same treat, a dentistick thingy. even made sure they were both the same colour.... Gave Chloe hers a fraction of a second before I gave him his, but he decided her's was nicer...... Typical bloke I would say lol

Both asleep at last, might be able to hoover now !!

Hes being cheeky, if she needs to growl at him over things like this let her. Hes not exactly got to go without hes got a chew!!! Hes just being cheeky and testing chloes patience
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by citybeatx Tue Jun 07 2011, 14:48

I had exactly same problem! I also have a Jack Russell (he's been with me for 7 months) then I rescued Poppy and at first, Mylo used to get the strop every single day. He was the one snapping at her, following her everywhere, trying to show her that he's the boss in the house! But everytime he was growling, I was telling him no and pushing him away from her so he knew he wasn't allowed to do it. What I found useful was getting lots of little doggy treats and giving it to both of them at the same time. Few weeks onwards, and they were sleeping in the same bed. They love each other now, Mylo protects her from anything when I'm walking them both. And trust me, the first few days were terrible and I was scared that Poppy might snap at him one day for being so unsociable! To add more, before I got Poppy, Mylo was such a spoilt dog!

Chloe is only getting used to another dog being at home, I'd say supervise them both all the time, give them few weeks and see what happens then? And maybe try giving them more doggy treats? Good luck!
citybeatx
citybeatx
introductions Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy & JRT Mylo.
Dog Gender(s) : Female/Male.
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Tue Jun 07 2011, 15:31

introductions Photo-3

We've fell out again lol
chloexxx
chloexxx
introductions Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Jun 07 2011, 16:04

Awwwwww Love Struck
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jun 08 2011, 11:45

How sweet! Blakes so cute and tiny makes me want another puppy. No room on my bed or in my flat for any more dogs at the mo Sad
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by chloexxx Wed Jun 08 2011, 13:32

We bought him because of an ornament..

We bought a pretty big staffy statue from a recent holiday, its a white stafford.. Need I say more lol
chloexxx
chloexxx
introductions Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content