+5
Kathy
jshrew
Crutchlow79
JStaff
LynneAJ
9 posters

Go down

Unwanted behaviour....advice needed please Empty Unwanted behaviour....advice needed please

Post by LynneAJ Tue Jun 03 2014, 15:44

Ok so here goes....I'm going to admit Poppy wasn't the easiest of pups to bring up, in fact at times I'm sure she was sent to test me  Laughing 

However, now at nearly two years old she's settled down a fair bit (she still has her moments but don't we all!), in the house she's perfect, out in the garden, not so much

Getting back to the topic of this post what I'm seeking advice on is the following....ninety five percent of the time when she's in the garden she just plods about, plays with toys etc. Occasionally tho when I'm out with her she will jump on the children's trampoline and start ripping at the net....all the time staring at me! I realise it's for attention, I've tried ignoring but she just keeps ripping! When I give her a row and pull her off she does this 'thing'.....it's as if she's trying to challenge me I think?? She makes a growly noise and jumps up but doesn't actually make any contact...if I grab her she panics and backs right down. She knows she shouldn't be doing it as the tail then goes between the legs and she runs back inside

Any advice/suggestions on this would be much appreciated! It's only me that she does it with even though I am the strictest with her. Confused Surprised
LynneAJ
LynneAJ
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog(s) Ages : 10/9/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Unwanted behaviour....advice needed please Empty Re: Unwanted behaviour....advice needed please

Post by JStaff Tue Jun 03 2014, 17:25

Suki does something similar. She will grab a shoe or something else she knows she isn't supposed to have, growls a little and runs around the house. It's her way of saying she wants to go out for a walk or other form of exercise. Hope this helps.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Unwanted behaviour....advice needed please Empty Re: Unwanted behaviour....advice needed please

Post by Crutchlow79 Tue Jun 03 2014, 18:07

Nel does the the 100m run from my settee to my bed and back with something she should not have in her mouth. It's to get my attention to go out and have a walk or to have a play with her.

Crutchlow79
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : nel
Dog(s) Ages : 1 yr
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue Jun 03 2014, 18:16

Ledger chews the sliding door at my parents house, no amount of anti chew spray etc has helped spoke to the vet about it he thinks it started as attention seeking - by chewing the door I stayed a bit longer before going to work but there comes a point where it just becomes learnt behaviour now I have to spend massive amounts of time rewarding him when he doesn't touch the door to try and train him back out of it
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Jun 03 2014, 18:32

Yup, sounds like attention seeking to me too, are you able to make sure that she has plenty of chew toys while she is outside ?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Jun 03 2014, 20:05

You could try distracting her with one of her favourite toys when she does it?
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Thu Jun 05 2014, 21:01

You say you are "the strictest with her". Does that mean there are other family members who let her on the trampoline or don't mind much? Perhaps it's an issue of consistency.

Also, if you get annoyed enough times, she will stop. Try putting her on the naughty step for a minute. That may work.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by lumpydog Thu Jun 05 2014, 22:27

Sounds to me like she may be in 'the adolescent' phase. A bit like a teenager, pushing the boundaries again. You'll just have to be firm, but also let the rest of the family know that going on the trampoline is a big no-no. Do you think she knows her place in your pack?
lumpydog
lumpydog

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Meg
Dog(s) Ages : Sept 20th 2011
Support total : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Thu Jun 05 2014, 23:41

Lula does it at times normally when she excited.
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down