I'm Debatting Getting A Dog Crate, Good Idea?

+4
-Ian-
Sazzle
djstratton
GuyCalledPolly
8 posters

Go down

I'm Debatting Getting A Dog Crate, Good Idea?  Empty I'm Debatting Getting A Dog Crate, Good Idea?

Post by GuyCalledPolly Sat Apr 19 2014, 08:21

Me And My Partner And We're Thinking Of Getting Poppy A Crate So She Can Sleep In The 2nd Living Room But In A Crate Because She Keeps Ripping Everything Up. Would This Be A Good Idea? Also How Would I Go About Introducing Her To It And Getting Her Use To It.

Oh And What Size Would People Recommend, She's 11 Weeks Old Now And Is A Staffy Cross Labrador.

Thank You Smile
GuyCalledPolly
GuyCalledPolly
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Poppy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

I'm Debatting Getting A Dog Crate, Good Idea?  Empty Re: I'm Debatting Getting A Dog Crate, Good Idea?

Post by djstratton Sat Apr 19 2014, 08:58

ABSOLUTELY get one!!!!  We've had dogs for over 20 years but only used one for the first time just over two years ago as we're living in rental overseas so needed to make sure our pup didn't destroy the house so got one.  Best decision ever and wished we used it with our previous dogs.  We initially was only going to use it for training in the early days but decided to keep using it as a bed at night after the initial puppy stage.  We got a size to fit him as an adult.  As we had a Dogo Argentino, we do have an extra large crate that our Marquez uses now.  We also have a travel crate for him which is a large that he does use during the day that he goes in and out of when he wants.

As for how to get your pup used to it?  Maybe someone else can better help as both our dogs had no problem using it from the beginning and have no problem sleeping in it at night so we were pretty lucky in that respect.  We have always kept some of their favourite toys in there in case they do wake up early and get bored and it's always kept them happy.  Marquez will sometimes bark at stupid o'clock in the morning but we just yell down to him to be quiet and he does until we're ready to get up an hour or so later.   When he first started doing that I would go downstairs thinking he had to go to the toilet but every single time he just wanted to get out and sleep in his favourite spot under the curtains and not wanting to go outside so I don't get up anymore and we just tell him to quit it and go back to sleep Big Grin

Since you have a puppy, you will have to get up a few times throughout the night as your pup will not be able to hold his bladder like an older dog does.  The early morning wake ups is one thing we're glad we didn't need to go through with getting an older dog this time round.  Definitely don't miss that part of owning a puppy - it was just like having a baby again   Laughing
djstratton
djstratton
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

I'm Debatting Getting A Dog Crate, Good Idea?  Empty Re: I'm Debatting Getting A Dog Crate, Good Idea?

Post by GuyCalledPolly Sat Apr 19 2014, 09:34

Haha, Thanks For The Heads Up Mate, Tbh Poppy Can Hold Her Bladder Like A Pro Because She Sleeps In Are Bed Atm But When I Walk Her To The Kitchen She Goes Straight On The Puppy Pad
GuyCalledPolly
GuyCalledPolly

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Sat Apr 19 2014, 09:39

Well go for it then although not too sure how she's going to like it being moved from your bed to the crate  Tongues Tongues 
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Apr 19 2014, 10:13

I don't use one but a lot of people have great success with them, have a look at this  Smile 

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/crate_training
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Apr 19 2014, 10:34

If I was starting with a puppy, I would use a crate. It gives them their own space to relax in and you peace of mind at night.

If you make it like a Den with toys and a comfy bed, I'm sure Poppy wont resist for long. From what I've read, a cover for the crate works very well.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

I'm Debatting Getting A Dog Crate, Good Idea?  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Hella-Buggin' Sat Apr 19 2014, 21:32

Run, don't walk!
Our pup came crate trained from the breeder and I can't imagine life without it. Puppies will destroy the house if given too much freedom and time. Our pup loves the crate. When she's had enough kid time, she just goes in and curls up. The kids know that when she gives herself a time out that she is to be left alone. It's also nice to be able to leave and know that she is safe, and not wrecking something.

Hella-Buggin'
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by GuyCalledPolly Sat Apr 19 2014, 22:06

Haha, She Loves The Bed To Much Tbh, Always Find Her Curled Up In It. Just Looking Online Now To See How Much A Good Quality One Is Big Grin

Thanks For The Help Big Grin
GuyCalledPolly
GuyCalledPolly

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tracy boo Sat Apr 19 2014, 22:40

We have a crate for our boy when hes left for a couple of hours, it's like his safe place lots of toys and nice bed, it also stops him wrecking the house when were out lol  Smile 

tracy boo
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
I'm Debatting Getting A Dog Crate, Good Idea?  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gordon
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 71

Back to top Go down

I'm Debatting Getting A Dog Crate, Good Idea?  Empty Just do it!

Post by daley Sun Apr 20 2014, 22:55

Our George has been in a crate downstairs since he came home a couple of weeks ago and he loves it.  Must confess I slept on the couch with him for the first 5 days (potential marriage wrecker!)  Blushing and I think that made all the difference.
daley
daley
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : George
Dog(s) Ages : 12 February 2014
Dog Gender(s) : M

Back to top Go down

Post by fay_elizabeth Tue Apr 22 2014, 11:43

Uh oh, expect a lot of crying... haha! But seriously, best thing I ever did was crate Pru, it meant I could have some peace and quiet at night and actually sleep! Just be prepared to put up with some serious yelping / crying / shouting for as long as it takes (it took pru 2 weeks)

Good luck!
fay_elizabeth
fay_elizabeth

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Prudence
Dog(s) Ages : 9 months
Support total : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by GuyCalledPolly Wed Apr 23 2014, 16:45

Ohh I'm A Sucker For When Poppy Cries Haha
GuyCalledPolly
GuyCalledPolly

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down