Nathan
yeahbut
Sazzle
janey
9 posters

Go down

Surprised Expelled

Post by Jenc Sun Apr 13 2014, 21:08

Well me & Katy have been taking agility classes for the last 5 weeks. Katy has been really good at the exercises but has trouble being on lead near the other dogs. This only started a few months ago on walks, nothing seems to have triggered it  Surprised Off lead she is fine with any dog, on lead she's only ok with her best friends, even one's she plays with occasionally she will lunge at on lead. Well Mary who runs the class phoned me yesterday to say she thinks it would be best that we discontinued until we have sorted this out. She apologised a lot saying she was annoyed to do this but some in the class were worried Katy might attack their babies  Surprised I must admit it is hard keeping her attention if the other dogs are eyeballing her. So we went out there early today to get a refund, Mary said she would give us 1/2hr 1-1. Katy excelled I might add off lead over each combination she asked us to do without any problems, she was even doing the routine as Mary was telling me what she wanted Katy to do  thumbs up  I know for a fact that off lead she would be absolutely fine with all the dogs in her class & so does Mary but never mind. Now looking into obedience classes to see if we can sort this out as we all know our pups need to b e perfect in the eyes of everyone else  Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Kathy on Mon Apr 14 2014, 11:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved post to Staffy Training & Behaviour)
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Surprised Re: Expelled

Post by janey Sun Apr 13 2014, 21:31

Seems a common thing, I have read it time and time again here. Moo is bad on lead, perfect off lead as she usually is. Xx

Shame for you though x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Apr 13 2014, 21:35

Hope you can get it sorted, what a pain xx
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13 2014, 21:37

Same here Darcy doesn't like to be approached whilst on lead! Fine off! Hope you find something that works Hun, shame as Katy was doing so well xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13 2014, 21:40

Oh what nuisance Jen hope the other classes will help xx

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahbut Sun Apr 13 2014, 22:35

Had a similar situation with Douglas in a class (aged 2). It wasnt an agility class, just basic training. However, he seemed very anxious and couldnt cope with the close proximity of the other dogs, all on lead. He did some lunging and pulled some ugly faces. In our case though, I spoke to the trainer after the first session and said we wouldnt be back (my decision) as it didnt seem to be the right environment for him. She agreed that he was getting nothing out of it and converted the rest of our paid-up sessions into a 1-2-1, which was more helpful. l dont know whether we would have been expelled if I hadnt done that, but we jumped before we were pushed, which was the right thing to do (in our case). It would be great if Douglas would exude peace and love at all times to all dogs, but, although we're continuing with training (in a way that's suitable, successful and enjoyable for him) it would be a bonus (not a certainty) if he can ever totally manage to be 'sorted'. Being perfect in the eyes of everyone else is also not a thing that is ever going to happen (esp being a staffx), but being near-perfect in my own eyes is a much lower bar for him to achieve.

yeahbut
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Expelled  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Apr 13 2014, 22:54

meh so much for a trainer... on lead dogs have there flight instinct removed... simple as that. it depends on how confortable they are with that as how they react to other dogs. if they are confident you might not get many issues yet a lil bit warey you might get a few problems. its easy to train around...you keep confident yourself and lead by example
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Apr 13 2014, 23:13

janey wrote:Seems a common thing, I have read it time and time again here. Moo is bad on lead, perfect off lead as she usually is. Xx

Shame for you though x

I discovered this with Flo too. I wonder weather they feel restricted whilst on the lead and unable to escape/evade.

It is a real shame about the classes though  Sad 

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Expelled  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Apr 14 2014, 01:18

A gsd had to go 1 to 1 when we did the bronze citizen award for the same reason. Tbh Ledger gets a bit stressy at agility and obedience he is ok when we are doing something but the sittting around on the side on lead isn't great at times his go to behaviour is to bark or if really stressed will try and chew his lead

We are currently between classes I was going on a Tuesday night but it moved inside over the winter and almost doubled in the dogs going meaning more time sat around, also there was an experienced collie that is a bit DA anyway and we were doing exercises on different pieces of equipment and they got just that bit too close to each other and it snapped at Ledger and with one swipe ofhis paw he put her on her back. Tbh I've used it as a bit of an excuse not to go to that class, now just waiting for some daytime ones to start next month
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Apr 14 2014, 11:08

It does seem a shame that Katy should miss out just because of the views of certain other individuals, I'm surprised the trainer didn't suggest another way around it such as a muzzle !!

Oh well, I hope you get on better with the other training  Expelled  3198918699 
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Mon Apr 14 2014, 20:25

Kathy wrote:It does seem a shame that Katy should miss out just because of the views of certain other individuals, I'm surprised the trainer didn't suggest another way around it such as a muzzle !!

Oh well, I hope you get on better with the other training  Expelled  3198918699 
She did say when we joined that if anyone had any issues with each others dogs she would deal with it, part of the problem was the other owners not giving us space. One of them would insist on walking past us 2ft away, Mary took each of them to on side to tell them to give us room. I had already decided that as Katy is booked in for spaying may 8th she wouldn't be able to do agility for a month anyway so I was going to try & sort out this issue anyway. As for a muzzle that would seriously stress her out & I don't want that. I have been given the name of a reputable trainer in the next village & have been told she's really good so I will ring her tomorrow to set up a 1-2-1. Also she's good at heel work so it would be worth going just for that (wouldn't that be a novelty  Laughing )
Will let you know how we get on  Smile
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Mon Apr 14 2014, 20:31

Inez Maria wrote:Oh what nuisance Jen hope the other classes will help xx
Thanks Inez, I'm sure we can get it sorted then we can restart our classes & wipe the floor with them, going on how well she did without the others & off lead whereas they are all doing it on lead  thumbs up
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Apr 14 2014, 20:58

Ohh Katy you little rebel! Tongues Sorry to hear that she's been kicked out of class Sad Hopefully you'll get good results with the trainer though!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down