Am I ready for a staffy pup?

+2
Rachel33
Nojoke
6 posters

Go down

Am I ready for a staffy pup? Empty Am I ready for a staffy pup?

Post by Nojoke Sun Apr 13 2014, 11:50

Hello everyone, I just wanna hear your thoughts and if you think i should change something, please let me know:)

I have had dogs my whole life and 3 puppies have been raised while I was over 10 yrs. The last one i raised myself ( went really well I think).

I have a dog friendly apartment w. hard floors in my gigantic room, kitchen and bathroom, the rest is carpet. There is a small, safe back yard with high walls (30 square meters area) exit from the kitchen Smile 
I am studying, and have approx. 15 hrs of school each week and work some evenings, but I can choose when I want to work, and I can study from home when the puppy can't be much alone yet. (school is 10 minute walk away)

Since I am traveling to Norway in my vacations and I have a very good relationship with my ex that lives nearby so he will watch it when I am gone, and he will also come over and walk with it or play with it regularly since he is a softie for dogs and would like to have one himself:P And he will follow my rules for training and raising it. I will also bring it with me for Christmas and my 3 month summer vacation next year.

I love training dogs!: I have found dog schools and puppy socialization classes. I want to train the dog with "progressive reinforcement", i.e, Rewarding wanted behavior and avoiding unwanted as much as possible. No physical, psychological correction or intimidation. So clicker training and doing everything step by step :)I live by the beach, so plenty of space to play there, and in the weekends we can find some forest.

My goal is to have a happy dog that can be around family, friends, most dogs, and that is relaxed and happy in most places, and a best friend that can cuddle up in bed with me.

I often do better with male dogs (and horses) in general, but I´ve heard staffy males can be quite mentally strong and challenging, so I have been thinking about a female. Is this true?
It will be KC registered as it is a must for bringing it to Norway, and I will take time off when it is 8 to 12 weeks.
And I have been planning for a year, and read for a year and updated myself on insurance, food, training, the breed etc.

Nojoke
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Am I ready for a staffy pup? Empty Re: Am I ready for a staffy pup?

Post by Rachel33 Sun Apr 13 2014, 12:15

Hiya Smile it sounds like you have everything set up! There's always a "what if" but as long as you are a dedicated and responsible owner then I'm sure you'll work around it and find ways to work with what life throws at you. When I first took my dog in from the shelter I was working 10 hours a day and lived in a top floor flat in the city (in no ways ideal, but it was my house or dead for her unfortunately) and we now live in a rural area on the corner of Dartmoor and she is only left for a few hours a day, so we made it work for her Smile

Positive training is a big thumbs up as well as the fact that you love working with dogs and know about socialization needs. In regards to gender, I've met thousands of male and female staffies working in kennels and they are all so different. I've always leant towards having girlies for some reason, but as long as the parents aren't particularly head strong and you choose the right temperament pup for you I'm sure you could find a boy that suits Smile I'd say go for it!
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Sun Apr 13 2014, 12:29

Sounds like you are well prepared
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13 2014, 13:49

Sounds to me like your ready to go thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13 2014, 15:30

Positive to me too  Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Apr 13 2014, 19:12

You sound very well prepared and researched, don't think there is much more you could do  Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Mon Apr 14 2014, 19:28

i wish everybody was as well prepared as you are. just do it and post pics.oh and go and see the puppies and pick up the one you feel connection with dont matter if a girl or boy
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : peppa
Dog(s) Ages : 28/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Apr 14 2014, 22:25

Certainly sounds like you're ready  Big Grin 

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Am I ready for a staffy pup? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down