-Ian-
Bane
Sazzle
Simi
Staffy lover
Highlands-Brody
11 posters

Go down

Walking off lead? Empty Walking off lead?

Post by Highlands-Brody Wed Apr 09 2014, 13:41

Since I've moved town lately I've been shocked at the amount off dogs getting walked off the lead, this morning at 6am I had brody out a walk and There was a dog run away from its owner over to my brody then there other dog came over whilst the owner was a good 50m away,then a black lab ran over also,now these dogs very just being friendly but brody started getting a bit aggressive so I just picked him up and the lady said sorry and got her 2 dogs so was nice off her to say sorry but the owner off the black lab didn't look to happy with me.. Some people need to realise that some dogs don't like having other dogs run up to them.
Last week I had 2 spaniels run up to brody and the bigger one started to bark at brody so that started brody off growling back so I picked him up again whilst the smaller spaniel was trying to jump up to brody but being friendly but this time the owner made a comment to her kids that she saved her dogs from my dog and she watched me walking away.
Now I'm not moaning that dogs shouldn't be let off the lead but I just wish that owners were more careful and realise that some times they should put dogs on a lead around other dogs.
Highlands-Brody
Highlands-Brody
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Walking off lead? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : brody daisy skye
Dog(s) Ages : 8, 5, 9months
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Walking off lead? Empty Re: Walking off lead?

Post by Staffy lover Wed Apr 09 2014, 13:51

I know just how you feel. I totally hate owners that let their dogs run over to any dog and my girl Pixee. She gets scared when they do that. Like you, I have no problem with dogs off lead, so long as they under control, e.g. the owners can call them back, they dont run over to other dogs unless told so by owner. I reckon you just need to get to know who the walkers are, and be polic by asking or letting them know that brody doesnt like dogs that run up to him. They will soon learn. If they are reponsible dog owners, they will do as asked. Theres a lady by us that walks a huskie, she has asked if we dont walk the same way, hers is always on lead, so we respect this, I have no problem, when asked nicely, the last thing I want is a upset dog or dogs having a go at one another. Last night I had a lab run up to Pixee, I had to stop cos if I had carried on, the lab could have got run over. The owner to say the least wasnt pleased, so I let him know why I stopped. He was very red faced. Lucky Pixee was fine that time as she saw what was happening. Just make a point of letting owners know.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Highlands-Brody Wed Apr 09 2014, 14:04

Hey, yeh the lady that got her 2 dogs today was nice and I explained to her that my dog doent like being approached but the man totally ignored me when I tried to talk to him,he just got his lab and walked away. Brody can be fine with most dogs when approached normally, I've had a good few people saying to me if brody hurts another dog that's not on a lead well it's the dogs fault but that a crazy thing to say as that would be the very last thing of want is for any dog to get hurt
Highlands-Brody
Highlands-Brody

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : brody daisy skye
Dog(s) Ages : 8, 5, 9months
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Wed Apr 09 2014, 20:09

Lula still small and people think it alright to allow there dogs to come charging over. Only problem is she been jump on not in a nasty way but it has made her a little wary. We walked Lula at tea time and a older gentleman was walking his JR. I did notice it was off lead but it saw us and did not move so i thought it be alright. It decided to charge over barking luckily once it came over it stop and just sniffed. I explained she was a little nervous and the guy said oh its fine most of the time at others it thinks its a rotti
Not sure if he thought that remark would make me feel better  Rolling Eyes we walked the over way and i kept a distance between us and for the rest of the walk there was NP
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Wed Apr 09 2014, 22:52

Massive bugbear of mine too!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Thu Apr 10 2014, 00:21

I fully understand the annoyance of this and on the odd occassion when Bane has managed to escape me and approach another dog I always get him as quick as possible and apologise. It is so embarassing. I just can't understand owners who leave their dogs to it and let them go wherever they please.

Personally, I know that Bane is friendly and if given half the chance would run up to every dog to say hello and have a play, so aslong as the dog is friendly I don't mind if I am approached, but will always stop to see where the owner is (The only thing more annoying than having Bane run away and not listen, is for the person he runs to to keep walking further away and throwing their ball away from me so Bane runs even further)
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Apr 10 2014, 00:26

Pet hate of mine too. I always make sure that Flo doesn't run towards other dogs but get so very frustrated when other owners, often far off in the distance, let there dogs bother Flo.

Nope, not gonna rant  chatterbox

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Walking off lead? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Apr 10 2014, 09:18

The bane of my life!!!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossco91 Mon Apr 14 2014, 09:38

I let Mika walk off her lead quite a lot but that's because I've yet to have her act in an aggressive way. She's such a friendly dog Smile. But then a few weeks ago a black lab ran a good 200m from it's owner and started "playing" with Mika, rolling over the top of her and just being a bit too hyper. The owner made no apology, didn't say a word. Took him 10 minutes to get a hold of the lab and he just walked off!
Rossco91
Rossco91
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Mon Apr 14 2014, 10:35

I will go against the grain, I have a massive problem with people having their dogs off the lead because dogs are dogs and they are unpredictable no matter how much they are trained.

Because of people with their dogs off the lead I now have problems with Axl being dog aggressive, it's not the main reason but it had a lot to do with it. I believe that if you see a dog coming towards you and that dog is on a lead then get your damn dog on a flipping lead, it's not hard and it doesn't take 2 minutes. Once you have passed feel free to let them off again.

Also, if you are walking down a street, put your damn dog on a lead. The amount of people where I live that walk along the pavement with their dog trotting along in front of them or behind them or whatever. The police should tell them to stick their dog on a lead, as far as I'm concerned. Pavement walking has become stressful for me as well.

People with un-leaded dogs are the bane of my life and I'm so fed up with it.
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by debs0109 Mon Apr 14 2014, 17:22

Personally I don't mind other dogs coming up and saying hello to me and Mia  Smile 
debs0109
debs0109

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : MIA
Dog(s) Ages : 1 year 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : FEMALE
Support total : 52

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Mon Apr 14 2014, 18:28

Debs01 wrote:I will go against the grain, I have a massive problem with people having their dogs off the lead because dogs are dogs and they are unpredictable no matter how much they are trained.

Because of people with their dogs off the lead I now have problems with Axl being dog aggressive, it's not the main reason but it had a lot to do with it.  I believe that if you see a dog coming towards you and that dog is on a lead then get your damn dog on a flipping lead, it's not hard and it doesn't take 2 minutes.  Once you have passed feel free to let them off again.

Also, if you are walking down a street, put your damn dog on a lead.  The amount of people where I live that walk along the pavement with their dog trotting along in front of them or behind them or whatever.  The police should tell them to stick their dog on a lead, as far as I'm concerned.  Pavement walking has become stressful for me as well.  

People with un-leaded dogs are the bane of my life and I'm so fed up with it.

So agree with you debs!  applause 
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down