+5
Debs01
Lizzie
Nathan
-Ian-
SgtNugget
9 posters

Go down

Need some help with my new dog called Blackjack  Empty Need some help with my new dog called Blackjack

Post by SgtNugget Tue Apr 01 2014, 22:32

Blackjack is nearly 3 years old been having trouble lately with getting him use to his leash whenever I tried to place it on him he would growl and become agitated but when I eventually clipped it on he would freeze up and shake if I try move forward he would not move from his position the other problem I have is playing ball with him when I throw it out in the garden for him to fetch he will bring it back but he won't let me take it from him he would growl but his shaking his tail I'm not sure what to do could somebody help me please.

Much appreciated.

SgtNugget
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Black Jack
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years old in October
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Need some help with my new dog called Blackjack  Empty Re: Need some help with my new dog called Blackjack

Post by Guest Tue Apr 01 2014, 22:35

Hiya has something frightened him recently?
Why not come say Hi here when you can xx
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Back to top Go down

Need some help with my new dog called Blackjack  Empty Re: Need some help with my new dog called Blackjack

Post by SgtNugget Tue Apr 01 2014, 22:38

He hasn't been frightened I been keeping a close eye on him I've been trying to play with him but he doesn't seem to like when I take the ball from him I want to get him out and about too is there any training tips to get him use to his lead and for him to stop being possessive of his toys.

SgtNugget

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 01 2014, 22:48

You may find just clipping his lead on around the house and letting him get used to it, as for toys you should be the toy master and only get one out at a time and when you choose its playtime.
A routine does wonders with dogs and does make a huge difference. Is he not used to being walked? x

Back to top Go down

Post by SgtNugget Tue Apr 01 2014, 22:54

No his not used to walking on lead I don't want to risk taking him out off leash, I'll leave the leash on him and let him drag it round the house I haven't tried that yet how long should I do this for before I start to pick it up?

SgtNugget

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Apr 01 2014, 22:56

Hi Dylan, have you had Jack from a pup or as an older dog ?

The ball thing is without a doubt a possession thing. Only training will alter that behaviour. Treats normally work as a good reward for dropping etc, though my Flo has yet to learn drop and she's an older girl.

The leash thing is something else though, hence the question about how long you have had Jack.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Need some help with my new dog called Blackjack  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by SgtNugget Tue Apr 01 2014, 23:00

I've had him for three days now.

SgtNugget

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SgtNugget Tue Apr 01 2014, 23:05

Do I just show the treat and not give him it because I think if I give him it that may reinforce the behavior to possess the ball.

SgtNugget

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Apr 01 2014, 23:09

Ah ok, a bit of background helps. You reward when he drops the ball. Staffs are smart, especially when food is available and he should cotton on fairly quick.

I'm guessing you don't know too much about his history so would do as previously suggest where the lead is concerned. Get him used to it around the house. Don't walk him off lead outside.

You are learning about him as he is with you. It will take patience but you will be amazed at what you can achieve.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Need some help with my new dog called Blackjack  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by SgtNugget Tue Apr 01 2014, 23:13

Thank you very much for the tips guys really appreciated I'll put them to good use I'll let you know on the progress through this topic. Big Grin

Thanks again.

SgtNugget

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Apr 01 2014, 23:13

The toy is the same as food agression, its a posseive thing.
Start with feeding. Get him to do a task before he gets fed. Something like sit is enough and lets them know you are the controller of resources.
Then take the toy and do nothing with it for a while then out of the blue throw it for him.
Another good training method is a flirt pole, it gives them a good work out and teaches the leave command to a fantastic level. No leave equals no more play and it works fantastic while out on a walk. Both my guys will leave food in the park with one command because of it.
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Tue Apr 01 2014, 23:21

Blackjack is a lovely name  Smile 

Just thought it was worth mentioning that Staffies do growl when they
play, in fact they can be quite vocal and even 'chat' with you.  So
please don't think its aggression.

Harry is nearly 6 and he won't give the ball up for love or money. Have
tried treats and he will do it but as soon as the treats dry up you can forget it  Laughing
 So I use 2 balls and do a swopsy!

With the lead thing, have you tried attaching a lead to a harness? As
they have a D Ring on the back rather than around the neck, he might
accept it more easily.

Good Luck getting to know each other, great times ahead  Smile

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Wed Apr 02 2014, 07:50

I was going to say use the two ball method as well I can't get the ball of axl if I only have one. I throw one and keep one. When he comes back I show him the second ball and say drop it. He drops it and I throw the second one. Works every time Big Grin
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Apr 02 2014, 08:07

Hey, where has he come from? Has he ever been walked?
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by SgtNugget Wed Apr 02 2014, 17:00

I got my dog from a animal shelter.

SgtNugget

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Apr 02 2014, 17:09

And they haven't had any problems putting the lead on? Have you got any experience with clicker training? You need to try and "shape" this experience for him, so that is becomes a positive one. If you don't know much about clicker training just try gently stroking around his neck and collar whilst feeding a high value food (chicken, cheese) if he growls, stop what you're doing, he's telling you that he's uncomfortable. Do this for a few days and then progress in baby steps to touching his collar (treat) for a few days, then putting the lead on but leaving it trail as suggested with lots of treats for a few days, and so on.

In the mean time for walks, the harness suggestion is a great one if he's happy to walk on that. Don't want him to miss out on any exercise if possible.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Wed Apr 02 2014, 17:11

Hello - I agree that Blackjack is very cool name.

I want to hear all about his background too - how you chose him/he chose you.

Three days is hardly anything and you are just feeling your way.

Have you owned dogs before?

Would love to know everything as love Staffies and love Staffy rescue stories. It will also help the experts on here help you train and understand him.

Well done for rescuing and trust takes a little while to build up between new dog/owner. You are obviously conscientious and care - that is the most important thing.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress?

& pics...
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by SgtNugget Wed Apr 02 2014, 17:51

This is my first dog I'll be uploading some pictures ASAP I've been watching a lot of youtube videos to help train him ,I've been watching someone called "Positive Training" on youtube  I've managed to train him "sit" and "down" he does that with and without treats I've also noticed his been chewing on my shoes lately is there anyway I can prevent him doing this also or should I just move the shoes away from view.

I got a slip lead too is this safe to use on him? I've been supervising as he drags it around in the living room but if I decide to pick it up to see if he would walk with me he would freeze and start to shake so I guess I will let him get use to it for couple of days oh and by the way if he tries to chew the slip lead is there a way to prevent that also? Because his teeth are sharp enough to make short work of the slip lead.

His also very jumpy too when he becomes excited like for example if he wakes up and sees me in the morning he will greet me but he jumps up at me continuously I've tried the method to turn my back against him but he just comes right round and continues I tried removing myself from the situation and coming back he still jumps up on me I don't think it's a big deal but I don't want him to jump on guests or friends especially when I take him out on walks.

SgtNugget

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Apr 02 2014, 18:05

Oh bless him Sad sounds like he's had a bit of a rough time. Great start with the positive training Big Grin does he have suitable toys around the house to chew? I'd say "no"
If you catch him in the act of chewing, and then give him something suitable to chew on. If you come in after he's chewed on the shoes there's not much you can do as the time would have passed. But other than that, keep them tucked away yes Smile dogs can't differentiate between yours and theirs.

I'd go back to basics with the lead and try and follow the steps I just posted. A slip lead isn't suitable to walk with, no. He'll just end up choking himself! I only ever use slip leads in a kennel situation when transporting from one kennel to the next, never for exercise. I'd imagine he's chewing the lead because he's anxious, so he's taking his anxiety out on the lead. Sounds like he's either had a negative experience with a lead or not been walked.

Which rescue centre did you get him from? Well done for rescuing too Smile wish there were more people like you in the world!!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by SgtNugget Wed Apr 02 2014, 18:13

I got him from the Blue Cross animal shelter should I use the clip on leash instead because when I use the clip on leash I have to pick him up and picking him up is a challenge to I can only do it when his not paying attention but if I tried to pick him up when his looking at me he will growl and try to bite me on the forearm it's the only way I managed to get the leash clipped onto his collar, I seen once on Dog Whisperer he tried stroking the dog with the leash to make him more comfortable should I try this method?

SgtNugget

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Apr 02 2014, 18:18

Don't try anything you've seen on the dog whisperer hun, the man is an idiot! If he's showing aggression past growling, you need to contact the centre, the blue cross are generally very good and should have a behaviourist on site that can help you. Biting isn't something that can be advised upon really without seeing it in person. He may be biting out of fear, but I'd call the shelter ASAP, and probably wouldn't try the lead again until you've spoken to them. I've worked with a few dogs like this, and there generally isn't a quick fix unfortunately.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Wed Apr 02 2014, 20:15

I agree with Rachel, ring the rescue centre first for advice and so they know whats happening with him.
He has been in kennels and goodness knows what before that, so he may be nervous and need to learn to trust you. That said, you don't want things escalating and getting bitten seriously.
I don't quite get why you have to pick him up to put his lead on?
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by SgtNugget Wed Apr 02 2014, 20:23

The reason why I pick him up to put the lead on is so it stops him from lashing out his perfectly fine when I don't bring the leash out his a loving dog but when I bring the leash out he begins to bark then when I try to put to attach the leash to his collar he growls I haven't been bitten yet but he does attempt to bite I think his fearful of the leash I want to make the leash a positive experience for him but I'll ring the Blue Cross to tell them my dog's situation.

SgtNugget

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyW Wed Apr 02 2014, 22:45

As to the not dropping the ball issue. Staffords love nothing better than a game of Tug and can get VERY vocal during this game. Could this explain the growling?

With the lead thing, good advice above. Barney did not like having his Collar/Lead put on. I made sure that I always put it on near the front door and spent a hell of a long time sitting near the door explaining that he could not go out without them. He does not speak Human but eventually understood lol.
TonyW
TonyW
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Need some help with my new dog called Blackjack  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Separeted
Dogs Name(s) : Barney
Dog(s) Ages : 18/12/2013
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Apr 03 2014, 08:11

Picking him up is only going to heighten the risk of you taking a bite to the head/face! Be careful.. Let us know how you get on talking to the rescue centre
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down