Behaviour with guests

4 posters

Go down

Behaviour with guests Empty Behaviour with guests

Post by flowerbud Tue Mar 25 2014, 14:31

So a friend has just left. Alfie always gets excited when people visit, sometimes worse than others. I gave him a Kong which helps, but then he goes back to jumping onto them and mouthing. Not everyone likes dogs jumping all over them! Wouldn't be so bad if he settled down for a cuddle as he does on us, oh no, he wriggles around and mouths. I call him (goes a bit deaf though), I get him to sit by me and he calms, then few mins later he mad again! I felt today like I was constantly getting him off her, luckily she is a doggy person, but there are limits Wink Any ideas? He loves his kongs, but when he has finished most of it he will go be all manic over the person and then go back and forwards to it. Or he takes it with him to the guest!
flowerbud
flowerbud
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Behaviour with guests Empty Re: Behaviour with guests

Post by Rachel33 Tue Mar 25 2014, 15:06

Sounds just like Biscuit Rolling Eyes Laughing She can't cope with being ignored, she will literally try 10 different tricks until one of them works, brings them her teddy, anything!! So visitors don't give her any attention at all until she's calmed; as long as four feet are on the floor I'm happy. She's tried all sorts; even jumping up to face height but has now learnt that she doesn't get anything from that. I'd advise the visitors "training" with him rather than you, because they're the one's that he wants something from so their attention (or retraction of attention) will be the biggest consequence/reward. Just ensure that giving that should be on their terms; not yours or his. I don't command Biscuit to do anything in this situation.

Excitement still takes over initially but she calms quicker, I also get visitors to ask her to sit and give her treats to enforce calm behaviour, though affection always wins over treats with new people. If we have a visitor that's really worried around dogs (doesn't happen often, but both of my step mum's aren't keen on her) and I put her on a lead and keep her in a sit/stay by me, she will then go and quietly sit next to them, but I think she senses the tone lol. But I'm sure most people actually visit to see her, rather than me, so they're a bit offended if she doesn't throw herself at them when they visit which if course doesn't help with training at all Rolling Eyes 

If after initial contact she still doesn't settle and is jumping on them, they send her to her bed for a "time out," they then invite her out 10 minutes later and she will usually curl up beside them and fall asleep at this point.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Tue Mar 25 2014, 16:09

Today's friend was very good, totally ignored him, until his feet were grounded, then stroked him but then he straight back on top of them! He just wouldn't listen to her, or me. Other guests aren't so good, which makes it hard for consistency but some think it's rude to ignore him. My mum even talks to him in a sing song voice "I'm ignoring you Alfie, yes I am. I'm not going to stroke you til you calm down, I'm ignoring you!"  Rolling Eyes Either way the result is mainly the same. I actually think it's him worrying/stressing again. He jumps on them then does a half up turned lie while licking and at times mouthing at their face! To me it looks like " I'm excited but don't hurt me, you won't hurt me will you?" Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it doesn't seem done with confidence.
I do tell visitors to tell him down or push him off when he jumps on their laps uninvited, but they don't do it with any real command or not at all, which doesn't help Sad
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Tue Mar 25 2014, 19:57

Good to hear i`m not the only one with a dog who thinks it ok to jump and lick guest all over. I`ve tried a few thinks that kinda worked for the short term or till the treats ran out  Rolling Eyes i now put her on the floor if she is jumping over my friend. I have to do it a few times but she gets the message pretty quick. Unfortunately it may not work when she gets bigger so i`m trying to teach her the down command. It works perfectly while i`m holding the clicker and treats but as soon as they are gone she goes deaf  Laughing 
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Tue Mar 25 2014, 20:13

Strange how their hearing disappears at times isn't it Simi?!  Rolling Eyes 
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Mar 25 2014, 22:14

If it's any use - rupert's excited behaviour around guests is getting marginally better since I have been practicing with two specific friends. We practice over and over. Door slams in his face if he doesnt behave when guest tries to come in. It took a while for my friends not to find his jumping up v sweet, but now they are stern or cross with him and I think he is learning. He never ever jumps up on me because he knows I won't stand for it.

Last edited by Rupertsbooks on Wed Mar 26 2014, 13:29; edited 1 time in total
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Mar 26 2014, 08:33

Sounds like that's where your problem's lying! As "rupertsbooks" has done, i'd recommend lots of stranger practise and consistency. It's a bloody nightmare with more than one person involved, but it's the only way to train really!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down