Barking at guests?

2 posters

Go down

Barking at guests? Empty Barking at guests?

Post by ChloeCatastrophe Fri Nov 25 2011, 11:56

Barking at guests? 27118310

This is my youngest staff Jake... this isn't a recent photo, he's now 4 years old... but I haven't got any recent pics of him that isn't him sleeping in some retarded way Laughing

He's a good dog, we bought him when he was a pup supposedly at 6 weeks, but we instantly noticed especially when bringing him home to 6 year old Bella, he was way too small, we took him to the vets to try and get an age and she said she could of imagined he was any older than 2 - 4 weeks old

We don't know if its due to this that he has a nervous characteristic, he barks at dogs- not baring teeth or anything just literally cannot keep still and fidgets around barking, we have to keep him out of site of other dogs when we take him to the vets. But he is not vicious at all! he's never hurt a thing and he's the soppiest little dog I've ever known, but he chatters his teeth a lot after his little "moments" and I have read that this is a sign of nerves

As far as we was aware he didn't mind people so much, some people he doesn't... like bringing my boyfriend home for the first time he was more than happy to welcome him but cautiously of course until he got used to him being around, but it was only recently mum had brought a friend over and he went mad? Not vicious mad but he just would not stop barking at her? We kept telling him off but he wouldn't listen and just doesn't stop, he allows the person to pet them and doesn't bite when they do so, but as soon as they are just about he wont stop?

We think its really unusual behaviour because as I said he's a darling little thing and just because he's a staffy I hate that people may assume he's acting maliciously?

We don't think its based on gender because he is fine with the girl mates I have brought to my house before, and I doubt it is based on age? All though he has barked at my aunt and uncle as well on a visit. But my nan and grandad he doesn't... so again can't be age... we don't know what it is whether certain people give him a bad vibe?

But I was just wondering if there was a way we can get him to stop doing this, I don't want to tell him off if he feels scared? but I don't want visitors to think he's a bad dog either...
ChloeCatastrophe
ChloeCatastrophe
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella + Jake
Dog Gender(s) : Female + Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Barking at guests? Empty Re: Barking at guests?

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25 2011, 12:36

Hi there & welcome!

Is your mum's friend a little nervous of dogs in general, or maybe staffs in particular?

Back to top Go down

Post by ChloeCatastrophe Fri Nov 25 2011, 15:08

no not at all :S not that I was aware of anyway, she loved the dogs
ChloeCatastrophe
ChloeCatastrophe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25 2011, 16:50

He sounds anxious about her for some reason.

What I would do is put him on a lead when your mum's friend comes in & make him sit, away from her, for a while until he calms down. Then give some treats to the friend and ask her to just hold one out. Let Jake go to her, not the other way round, and no touching other than giving the treat.

Once he's happy with that, then she could try stroking him quietly & gently. After a few repeats, he'll hopefully stop the barking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25 2011, 20:56

Agree with Caryll. Suki will do this with some people as well but only inside of our house.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChloeCatastrophe Thu Dec 01 2011, 13:21

thanks for your advice Caryll Smile
I'll give it a go next time ^_^
ChloeCatastrophe
ChloeCatastrophe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler&megsmum Thu Dec 01 2011, 15:25

Do they wear any clothing which upsets the dog ?

The reason I ask is because my two hate people with hoodies on when the hood is up,I have no idea why......

Meg also has taken a dislike to our neighbours,she only has to see his head above the fence and she goes absolutely ballistic but she is fine with everyone else.
Tyler&megsmum
Tyler&megsmum
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyler & Meg
Dog Gender(s) : Dog & bitch
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 18:10

I was going to mention clothes too. Also is it in a particular room? My girl never barks at anyone normally but if anyone comes to the back gate of our house (which is very very rare) she goes mad at them i assume because she knwo people "are not supposed" to. So maybe the people she barks at come through a different door or something?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down