Please advise me on pulling like crazy to get to other dogs

3 posters

Go down

Injured Please advise me on pulling like crazy to get to other dogs

Post by Limey Thu Mar 20 2014, 07:22

Hello everyone. Could really do with some support and advice on this one. Zara is coming up 7 months and weighing around 17kgs. I've always had issues with pulling on the lead but this is getting better and some walks are wonderful UNTILL Zara sees another dog. She will pull me towards them or lay down with her tail wagging like crazy. She just wants to play with every dog she meets. I do like her to have a quick meet and greet if I get the heads up from owner. I do allow play off lead if it's in a safe place and the owner agrees. Although when it comes to walking away and carrying on with our walk she's pulling me again towards the dog. I have to get her on a really tight lead and try my hardest to get her going with me again. Most times it works and she does calm down again. Could some one please reassure me this is normal. Apart from my arm feeling so achey from the pulling I do get a little embarrassed sometimes as I feel my dog is the only dog that doesn't listen. Similar to how my 3yr old daughter sometimes makes me feel in public. Hubby says I should just make her walk straight past other dogs with no meet and greet untill she's calmer. I disagree as I like her to say hi. She loves off lead time but I'm very choosy when I let her off as she just goes into major play mode with other dogs and it's as if I'm not even there.
Ps I'm the one that takes Zara out for her walks most of the time as hubby works so much. Sorry for waffling just need some reassurance that I'm doing ok
Limey
Limey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Zara
Dog(s) Ages : 6 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 38

Back to top Go down

Injured Re: Please advise me on pulling like crazy to get to other dogs

Post by Rachel33 Thu Mar 20 2014, 07:36

Do you allow her to meet the dog straight after this crazy pulling behaviour? If so, I'd advise to ask her to sit and be calm for a minute or so before meeting. If she realises that the sit and calm is what gets her what she wants (meeting the dog) rather than the pulling that may help. It's just a training issue, normal, but needs work as it's not enjoyable for you and not polite for her. She does also need to learn that she can't meet every single dog also I do agree.. Some dogs aren't sociable and if she gets to meet them all of the time and then can't meet one she's going to loose the plot. Think you just need to teach some excitement/frustration tolerance.. Impulse control basically! Just replace all crazy with calm and reward 10 fold for the calm Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Thu Mar 20 2014, 07:45

I agree with Rachel and that's how we got Suki to not pull everytime she sees a dog. She will still do it on occassion espically if she knows it's a dog she is allowed to play with.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey Thu Mar 20 2014, 07:47

Rachel33. Thanks for the advice. Will work on that. I need to  Blushing  Blushing  I have been trying to get her to just sit and wait for some dogs to pass as there are some older dogs on our walk who just don't want to be bothered. Your reply has made me realise I'm actually rewarding her sometimes by allowing her to go straight to the dog after pulling xx
Limey
Limey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zara
Dog(s) Ages : 6 months
Support total : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Mar 20 2014, 08:02

No problem Sarah Smile Sometimes you just need another perspective and it all slots into place! Practise at home though, don't go straight to getting her to sit when there's another dog there as she won't be able to. Start with strong sit-stay commands in the home, and then work up to outdoors with no distraction, then to when there's a 10 metres away, then 8, then 6, then 4, then 2... you get the idea. She's still very young so may not have the patience yet but keep practising Smile Just make sure you use really tasty treats, because at the moment nothing is more exciting than that dog!

Also, for off lead play, stick a long line on her so you can still keep control and teach her when to stop, I use "enough" and call her back, give her a treat and then let her carry on playing again. This will teach her that the fun doesn't stop when you call her back and she gets to keep playing, but she will still be listening to you.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down