skin...

3 posters

Go down

Sad skin...

Post by prince mario Sun Feb 16 2014, 01:34

hey guys Mario broke out in a rash on his neck the other day, he is scratching and biting his fur and his fur is falling out loads. I brought him to the vets last week and they said it was a skin disorder and gave me cream and shampoo and we changed his food and treated him for fleas. a week on and the rash is going but he still is scratching like crazy and I just gave him a bath brushed him and have noticed his fur is coming out in clumps. it doesn't leave bald patches doh. has any one else gone through this or no any thing I can do. thanks gus x x
prince mario
prince mario
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : mario
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: skin...

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16 2014, 05:46

Did the vet do skin scrapes for demodex? It could be allergies, piriton can be used to help settle this, or try rubbing some coconut oil on his skin to help soothe it skin... 3198918699

Back to top Go down

Post by prince mario Sun Feb 16 2014, 06:20

na tbh the vet did not do much at all, she put him on eukanuba food and ive just seen on this that it can cause skin allergies.... think I might need a change of vets also :/... ill try the coconut oil tanx hun : xx
prince mario
prince mario

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Sun Feb 16 2014, 07:19

I second changing your vet.  Also be careful of chicken as that can cause skin issues.  One of my dogos couldn't eat it as he was allergic and would get lumps all over him.  I was just speaking to a Dalmatian owner this morning and he couldn't figure out why his boy was covered in bumps after I asked him about what his dog was eating as I recognised the skin all to well and he said that he was eating raw meats and no kibble.  When I asked if he was eating chicken he said it was a big part of his food.  I told him that his boy could have an allergy to chicken so he's going to stop it to see if it improves.  

Also drinking water from the tap can also cause problems believe it or not. I know of a few people whose dogs skin improved once they stopped using tap water.  I only ever give my dog bottled water now.

I also agree with coconut oil although I prefer to add it to my dogs food Smile
djstratton
djstratton
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by prince mario Sun Feb 16 2014, 07:40

diane thank you so much.. I have been giving Mario chicken he only got some this evening so I will stop that immediately... is kibbles a brand of food???? I will try the bottle water also.Smile
prince mario
prince mario

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Sun Feb 16 2014, 08:07

prince mario wrote:diane thank you so much.. I have been giving Mario chicken he only got some this evening so I will stop that immediately... is kibbles a brand of food???? I will try the bottle water also.Smile

Kibble is just another word for dry food  Big Grin

And no problem at all - I just want to try and help when it comes to our dogs. We've dealt with allergy issues over the years and know how frustrating it can be trying to work out what is causing the problems. It doesn't help when the vet is advising one thing or another and it doesn't work and in many cases just makes the problem worse  Sad 
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun Feb 16 2014, 11:38

Bane has some kind of skin problem and the vets have been so unhelpful to us too! It felt like they were more interested in selling us products to try than actually finding out what was wrong with him.
We found that using the medicated shampoo they gave us made his hair fall out more than usual, maybe it is that? As you said it didn't leave bald patches but when we stroked him, our hands would be covered.

His skin problems started as a rash on his front legs and neck but is now mainly his ears that irritate him. He has lost patches of hair on his ears which the vet didn't have an answer for and he doesn't have mites so bit clueless to that.
We found that he scratched more once he had split the skin, so needed to stop him so that the skin could heal: he now wears a cone and hoody at night and whenever we are not with him. We have also switched him to a raw diet. If it is a food allergy that set it off, it will take a while for the changes to be noticeable so don't disregard chicken just yet. Bane has been on raw for 3 weeks now and he still scratches, but is noticeably better. We also use Apple Cider Vinegar to clean his ears (don't apply to cuts or split skin as it hurts like hell) and coconut oil to soothe them.
I hope you find an answer soon! It's horrible not knowing what is wrong with them!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 16 2014, 17:43

Yes I would be changing vets also, sounds like an allergy my Vin cant have chicken and I have to be very careful with his diet  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down