Very strange breathing - worried and waiting for feedback from our vet.

+2
Kathy
stella
6 posters

Go down

Surprised Very strange breathing - worried and waiting for feedback from our vet.

Post by djstratton Thu Feb 13 2014, 03:35

I know I posted a video last week about Marquez and asking if his breathing was normal but before we even made it home he started to breath really noisy and loudly.  It took 18 minutes from the time I took the first video until the 2nd video and where he started sounding like he normally does after a walk and it was 40 minutes in total before he had stopped and was breathing normally.
I've emailed the videos to our vet and sent her a text message explaining whats happened and she's going to look at it as soon as she's back at the clinic (They do house calls here which is why she isn't there at the moment) and get back to me.

As soon as we got home.

18 minutes later still breathing heavy but sounding more normal

I hope it's not Laryngeal paralysis/stridor or anything serious Sad

Has anyone seen anything like this with their dogs?
djstratton
djstratton
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

Surprised Re: Very strange breathing - worried and waiting for feedback from our vet.

Post by djstratton Thu Feb 13 2014, 06:22

I just heard back from our vet and she's spoken to one other and they both seem to think that he just really overheated this morning. She is waiting for the other vet to get to the clinic to see what she says too after viewing the videos. I'm still not convinced that this is just a case of overheating but something a bit more serious or maybe I am being paranoid?

Think our walks will have to be earlier and later when it is much cooler now as well as wetting him during our walks if this is just a case of being overheated.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Surprised Re: Very strange breathing - worried and waiting for feedback from our vet.

Post by stella Thu Feb 13 2014, 07:12

ahh bless him,that is a very strange noise he's making,fingers crossed it was only over heating,keep us updated on how he's doing Diane
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 13 2014, 07:49

He does sound overheated so let's hope it that, we hake a cloth to wet darcy down with on walks, do let us know how he's doing xx

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Thu Feb 13 2014, 07:53

Thanks guys for that. I also hope it's just overheating too as that is easier to prevent from happening. Like the wet cloth idea too. I was really worried about him when it took forever for him to get back to normal. Even our house cleaner who is Muslim and terrified of dogs and won't go near him asked if he was ok Big Grin
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Feb 13 2014, 10:27

Walking during cooler times of the morning and evening would be a very good idea, Staffies can overheat and this should prevent this from happening. Do you take plenty of water with you while out on walks ?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Thu Feb 13 2014, 11:53

Kathy wrote:Walking during cooler times of the morning and evening would be a very good idea, Staffies can overheat and this should prevent this from happening. Do you take plenty of water with you while out on walks ?

Yes had water but it obviously wasn't enough. Going to walk him earlier and later in the day as well as wet him down during the walk.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Thu Feb 13 2014, 13:09

Sounds like a good idea, try and limit his running around at really hot times, they can overheat quite quickly x
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Thu Feb 13 2014, 23:26

Sazzle wrote:Sounds like a good idea, try and limit his running around at really hot times, they can overheat quite quickly x

One thing I will say is that I NEVER run and I wouldn't expect Marquez to run either.... A fast walk is more our pace. It's strictly walking when it comes to exercise  Big Grin 

It's amazing how different breeds are and something we have to remember - with our dogos, the hubby would take him for a 3km run alongside the scooter then I would take him for 2km walk about 30 minutes later and that was all here in the hot & humid Indonesian climate. The strange thing is that Marco would've kept on going if we wanted too. Another thing we have to remember is that all our dogs were conditioned to exercise because since they were old enough as pups they started their walking and running by the scooter but Marquez has spent his first year with limited exercise so it will take some time to build up. Scooter runs for Marquez may not ever happen (not here in Indonesia anyway) but thats ok.
I can't wait until we move back to Europe and to the cooler weather of the Pyrenees but the high altitude might take some getting used to for him then.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Thu Feb 13 2014, 23:31

I heard back again last night from our vet and she spoke to other that she waiting to see what she said and she also said it was overheating. She said that if I'm still concerned that he could get an X-ray to check his heart for Microcardia (abnormally small heart) which could result in breathing like this but I think we will wait to see how he goes with the cooler walking conditions Smile
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri Feb 14 2014, 01:23

We just got back from our walk and he is back to normal Big Grin
Left an hour earlier, lots of water to drink and cold water over his head and neck regularly made a whole load of difference. We took a slightly shorter route but it took a little longer with all the stops (1.8km 38mins) but it was worth it. When we got home it took 5 minutes to stop his huffing Smile

I also worked out the harness issue until I get the one I want for him or one with a d ring at the front. Have control on his collar when I need it but for most of the walk he was great with the harness and the collar was slack Smile Definitely don't think it made things easier for him yesterday with his pulling on his trachea and restricting the airflow that he needed.

Very strange breathing - worried and waiting for feedback from our vet. Marquezwalk_zps15ef4f1e

djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri Feb 14 2014, 05:38

And I just picked up one one of these to take on our walks (or whenever we go out) to make sure he can drink his water properly. So paranoid now of him becoming overheated.
Very strange breathing - worried and waiting for feedback from our vet. 41bdYnfhzlL._SL500_AA300_
UK link to buy http://www.petsperfect.co.uk/products/silicone-collapsible-travel-dog-bowl
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Feb 14 2014, 10:51

The portable water bowls are a great idea, we have a very similar one to this for Rocky which I can just fold up and put in my bag or rucsack when out for walks:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lifemarque-hot-dog-camping-pet-accessories-p108710

Very strange breathing - worried and waiting for feedback from our vet. 11072_5031863011204891847858
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14 2014, 18:46

Chance overheats hun but thats come with him being an ambull and he makes weird noises, so it could most definitely be that.

I don't know whether the deliver to you or you can get them BUT these have been a god send to me but more importantly Chance

http://fillmewithice.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14 2014, 19:06

Aww poor Marquez Vin gets very overheated in the summer I always take loads of water whenever we go out. Hope he will continue to improve xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Feb 14 2014, 20:13

djstratton wrote:And I just picked up one one of these to take on our walks (or whenever we go out) to make sure he can drink his water properly.  So paranoid now of him becoming overheated.
Very strange breathing - worried and waiting for feedback from our vet. 41bdYnfhzlL._SL500_AA300_
UK link to buy http://www.petsperfect.co.uk/products/silicone-collapsible-travel-dog-bowl

I'm glad the walk went a bit better, I have one of these collapsible rubber bowls, so handy they just slot nicely in my small walking bag  Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14 2014, 20:54

I can understand your concern Diane.

Kuchar is my first Staff after 20 years of having Dobermanns, and the excessive (to me) panting worried me in hot weather (such as it gets in the UK) and took me by surprise. I am now given to understand that this is due to the shortened nasal passages in a Staff.

You are helping Marquez by carrying water to drink on his exercise and damping him down (ears, belly and inside the back legs), as well as walking him in the cooler parts of the day.

If your home is air-conditioned, dare I suggest that you shorten your outdoor walks and wear off his energy by playing chase games indoors in the cool.

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri Feb 14 2014, 23:26

ella wrote:Chance overheats hun but thats come with him being an ambull and he makes weird noises, so it could most definitely be that.

I don't know whether the deliver to you or you can get them BUT these have been a god send to me but more importantly Chance

Wow!  I love this and what an amazing idea.  I going to order a couple for him Smile
But in the meantime since I'll have to wait as I will have to get it sent to either Australia or Spain, I'll make him one of these... http://arborescence.typepad.com/blog/2010/08/cool-collars.html

Last edited by djstratton on Fri Feb 14 2014, 23:41; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Fri Feb 14 2014, 23:45

Lynda wrote:I can understand your concern Diane.  

Kuchar is my first Staff after 20 years of having Dobermanns, and the excessive (to me) panting worried me in hot weather (such as it gets in the UK) and took me by surprise. I am now given to understand that this is due to the shortened nasal passages in a Staff.

You are helping Marquez by carrying water to drink on his exercise and damping him down (ears, belly and inside the back legs), as well as walking him in the cooler parts of the day.

If your home is air-conditioned, dare I suggest that you shorten your outdoor walks and wear off his energy by playing chase games indoors in the cool.

Definitely aircon in the house here so its no surprise that his favourite spots are lying under them. We do play lots of games in his toys - and I think we have as much fun as he does. We're going to try and teach him a great pulling game that we used to do with Marco that involved us sitting on a desk chair with wheels and him pulling us around  Big Grin 
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 15 2014, 00:14

That sounds like a fun game Diane!  Very strange breathing - worried and waiting for feedback from our vet. 3198918699 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 15 2014, 00:18

djstratton wrote:
ella wrote:Chance overheats hun but thats come with him being an ambull and he makes weird noises, so it could most definitely be that.

Wow!  I love this and what an amazing idea.  I going to order a couple for him Smile
But in the meantime since I'll have to wait as I will have to get it sent to either Australia or Spain, I'll make him one of these... http://arborescence.typepad.com/blog/2010/08/cool-collars.html

I absolutely love the kool collars and i fill them with ice cubes when we go for a walk so it melts down the chest which works even better!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 15 2014, 00:24

heres chance in his Big Grin

Very strange breathing - worried and waiting for feedback from our vet. 984242_10152870570385611_1908336408_n

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Sat Feb 15 2014, 01:43

Lynda wrote:That sounds like a fun game Diane!  Very strange breathing - worried and waiting for feedback from our vet. 3198918699 
Here are a couple of videos of our game. He was more gentle when he was pulling Angel but with me he would go all out Big Grin

djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Sat Feb 15 2014, 01:44

ella wrote:
djstratton wrote:

I absolutely love the kool collars and i fill them with ice cubes when we go for a walk so it melts down the chest which works even better!

I'll try to whip one up this afternoon and test it out on our walk tomorrow morning using the ice like you do. Thanks for that tip Smile
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Feb 15 2014, 10:03

Love the videos, that does look like great fun  Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by louc Sun Feb 16 2014, 18:30

sounds like over heating my zoe pants in the summer after a walk ,then lies down in the kitchen on the nice cool floor and after a while has some nice cold water to drink then she's fine again. When I take her out she wears a harness and I clip her lead to that  not her collar as she pulls at times as well. hope you get it sorted  Smile
louc
louc
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zoe
Dog(s) Ages : 8 years old
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Feb 17 2014, 11:05

It does look like over heating to me too. I just carry a few drinking bottles in my little rucksack as Pixee loves to drink out the bottles  Laughing.

Those cool neck collars look brillant. Thinking of getting one too.

Love the videos, great fun.  
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down