Another toilet training question/advice

3 posters

Go down

Smile Another toilet training question/advice

Post by Jamz Sun Feb 09 2014, 18:17

Hi everyone,

Sky is doing well, into everything. She isn't allowed out yet for another couple of weeks which might make things a bit easier, she is coming up for 12 weeks..I'd like you too look at what I'm doing and offer any tips or advice, tell me if I'm doing if wrong please.

So firstly a bit about my setup which again doesn't help our cause.. I live in a 3 storey house above a shop, my back yard is a hard surface flat roof above my kitchen which is obviously walled and reasonably sized. To get to this from the kitchen is through the hallway, up a set of stairs approx 13 steps and through the back door to the yard/balcony.

Sky is crated through the day when I'm at work and obviously at night when I'm asleep. Through the day I'm fortunate to be able to come home every 2 hours and take her to the (yard) so she can goto toilet as well as I give her 5/10 mins exercise depending on what time of the day it is, but generally through my working hours 6-4 she gets approx 20 mins outside play time. In the evening she is out the crate with me in the living room or il be in the kitchen with her putting her in the crate every now and then if I'm eating/cooking etc.

Unfortunately I have a puppy that doesn't matter what I do to the crate size will pee in her crate even when I've made her eat in there...no no2 though just pee but only if for some reason I don't get back in the 2 hours as that seems to be the magic number, if I go past that by half hour and I expect to see wee in her crate 75% of the time..

When I take her upstairs or allow her to navigate them now and then herself, she knows what she is up there for.  I can literally open thee door through the night, put her down and off she goes, comes back to me when she's done with praise and a treat from me, though trying to cut the treats out now..

Now finally to my point :)she will still quite comfortably without any sign go on the kitchen floor or in the living room even a no2 yesterday in the living room which I wasn't chuffed about, considering I'm consciously taking her outside whenever I think she's sniffing around, I would of thought I could stop this from happening, we do the same routine at least 15/20 times a day and I would of expected her to at least go to the stairs maybe?, she's not isolated from there and can get to the stairs from anywhere I allow her to be..is this to be expected or am I the one who's expecting too much?. Bearing in mind were not even doing walks yet, but I want to be able to make sure I'm not doing something wrong, which in turn will develop into me having a nightmare with her in the house..

I'm also worried that because I take her out so often when she is roaming she will have the smallest of wees too sometimes that I am making the situation worse as I'm not allowing her to control it for longer, advise on that too please..

I did originally allow her to use pads and she had the freedom of the kitchen, destroyed pads and news paper, chewing chairs put a stop to that and sprays didn't work so that's why she is in a crate..I don't want her in there all the time which again could I be allowing this to happen when Infact I should be leaving her in there as the routine I have will eventually work? Again advice please..

Quite a long winded post but I wanted to cover all the bases so you can see the whole picture and advice or tell me if I'm doing something wrong..

Btw if I catch her doing a wee inside I do the usual, point her to it, use a stern voice and out her outside but then unfortunately she goes back in her crate...i know you shouldn't use the crate for that but what choices do I have? On that note she finds the crate fine, doesn't cry though I may get a little wine to come I if I'm standing in the same room as her but only momentarily. She is quite as a mouse in there when I'm not I've been informed..

Thanks Smile
Jamz
Jamz
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog(s) Ages : Puppy
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: Another toilet training question/advice

Post by stella Sun Feb 09 2014, 20:49

sky is just a baby and will not have full control of her bladder/bowels till she is around 6 months old,so you will get accidents.she sounds like she's doing really well thou,if she does have an accident just ignore it and take her out side,make sure you wash the area well.when you take her out side say the word wee wee or some thing like that and lots of praise when she does one,she'll get there  Smile 
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: Another toilet training question/advice

Post by Rachel33 Tue Feb 11 2014, 09:12

So, skye at 12 weeks is left for 10 hours a day? And then all night? With a toilet break every 2 hours? A pup of that age needs to be put out to toilet every hour at the least, so doesn't surprise me that she's having accidents. As Stella has mentioned, she won't have full control of her bladder just yet. Training is one thing, but 10 hours is a very long time for a puppy to be left alone without stimulation and training!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down