TOILET TRAINING HELP!!??

5 posters

Go down

TOILET TRAINING HELP!!?? Empty TOILET TRAINING HELP!!??

Post by hooch6 Wed Oct 10 2012, 07:44

Hi everyone my little Hooch is coming up to 9 weeks now. we have had him from 6 (far too young i know, we didnt know they had to stay with there mum untill after we had got him) .. so we take him outside regularly and he is quite good he goes when u take him he hardly has any accidents in the house. but if we didnt take him out so much he would just do it alover the house. what age are they when they start to hold it and can go a bit longer and realise they need to go to door to go out. tia x
hooch6
hooch6
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : hooch
Dog(s) Ages : 23 month
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

TOILET TRAINING HELP!!?? Empty Re: TOILET TRAINING HELP!!??

Post by x0gawjus0x Wed Oct 10 2012, 08:27

Vinnie started to realise that if he stands by the door he goes out at about 3-4 months, he also stopped weeing in his crate and waited untill the morning when he was about 4 months - still get the occasional accident when hes absolutely busting and just desides to do it where he is rather than go by the door! x
x0gawjus0x
x0gawjus0x
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 10/05/2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 10 2012, 08:30

They don't have full bladder control until they are about 6 months. They do start getting better at around 3 months. Just make sure to take him out after sleeping, playing or eating

Back to top Go down

Post by caz64 Wed Oct 10 2012, 08:51

You know he needs a wee about every hour and after food and play and when he wakes up. Don't automatically take him out every hour, watch him to see what actions he does (sniffing at the door, standing by the door, a little restless) then take him outside say wee wee (or some command you are comfortable with) and wjen he does a wee praise him and give him a treat.
caz64
caz64
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dusty
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Wed Oct 10 2012, 11:10

Do you carry him outside? Let him follow you, keep saying wee,wee or whatever command you use to let him go. That's what worked for Debo,after few days of doing that I didn't have move just say wee,wee and he went to do his business on the pad. Good luck,he's still very young but will get it very quickly.
jola139
jola139
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Wed Oct 10 2012, 11:24

Hi, having the same problem with Bacchus ( not yet 12 weeks ) but he's getting there. Also when he first wakes up he is reluctant to go out in the cold and will dive back into his comfy crate when we open the door to the garden. ( not had all his shots yet second lot this Thursday) I have been getting up at 3 am to let him wee and had dry crate in the morning but decided to try an all-nighter last night and got wet newspaper in the crate this morning. ( midnight to 6.30am) Guess he's not quite ready for that yet.

Hooch looks a real cutie btw.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by caz64 Wed Oct 10 2012, 11:32

reuben wrote:Hi, having the same problem with Bacchus ( not yet 12 weeks ) but he's getting there. Also when he first wakes up he is reluctant to go out in the cold and will dive back into his comfy crate when we open the door to the garden. ( not had all his shots yet second lot this Thursday) I have been getting up at 3 am to let him wee and had dry crate in the morning but decided to try an all-nighter last night and got wet newspaper in the crate this morning. ( midnight to 6.30am) Guess he's not quite ready for that yet.

Hooch looks a real cutie btw.

Maybe stretch it until 4 am then 5 am etc teaching him to hold it longer?
caz64
caz64

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dusty
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by hooch6 Wed Oct 10 2012, 11:44

Hi thanks for replies yes we carry him out so will try letting him do that. he cant go for walks till another 3 weeks so i suppose it will be better then. i watch him when he starts sniffin i take him out straight away but sometimes he doesnt he just does it and i have an 18m old so cant really watch him all the time. dont get me wrong hes doing very well its just seems forever away that he will be trained but he is still very young. as for through night he hardly has any accidents from 10pm - 5/6am (depending on what shift my husband is on) so very pleased with that :-)
And aww thanku your pup looks lovely too. gawjus markings xx
hooch6
hooch6

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : hooch
Dog(s) Ages : 23 month
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 10 2012, 12:01

It's easy to forget how young he still is. Normally you'd have only had him for about a week, so wouldn't be expecting too much!

As already said, though, dogs don't develop full control over their bladder/bowels until about 6 months, so you should really expect the odd accident up until then anyway.

Just keep taking him outside with plenty of praise when he does something out there. Ignore any accidents inside & just quietly clean it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Wed Oct 10 2012, 12:26

I'm with Caryll,as always Smile. Give him time. Do you let him out in the garden? Let him follow you there,be very exited about it,he will follow and lots of praise when he does it outside.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 10 2012, 15:38

No worries, he's nine weeks old. Loki picked up on toilet training incredibly easily, but there were still accidents now and again. Just be consistent and give him lots of praise when he goes outside and he'll get the hang of it more and more as time goes by.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down