Curbing instinct to chase cats.... a lost cause?

+2
TS06
janey
6 posters

Go down

Curbing instinct to chase cats.... a lost cause? Empty Curbing instinct to chase cats.... a lost cause?

Post by TS06 Sat Dec 14 2013, 18:14

Hello all, I know that Staffies raised with cats can peacefully co-exist with them. I adopted mine when he was already a young adult and I believe he was not raised with cats. He is highly sociable with people and other dogs, but he has a strong urge to chase cats. Does anyone know of a means by which this instinct can be reeled in?

I know that the pursuit of small animals is natural for dogs and bringing this under control is not going to be easy, but I would appreciate any advice at all.

Many thanks in advance.
TS06
TS06
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Curbing instinct to chase cats.... a lost cause? Empty Re: Curbing instinct to chase cats.... a lost cause?

Post by janey Sat Dec 14 2013, 18:35

Moo has a huge prey drive, so sorry I am not in a position to advise Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Curbing instinct to chase cats.... a lost cause? Empty Re: Curbing instinct to chase cats.... a lost cause?

Post by TS06 Sat Dec 14 2013, 19:23

Thanks for the reply Janey.

Most dogs give cats time to get up trees, over fences, under cars, etc. They can easily prance out of the way and there is usually no harm, no foul. It's different if the dog is a small athlete Smile

My little guy intends to chase and catch, though not to harm, but cats are unlikely to see it that way... and I'm concerned about the escalation.

If I find a solution (beyond just leashing up), I'll let you know Smile

TS06
TS06

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Dec 14 2013, 19:26

TBH honest I don't do myself any favours as where we walk she is free and her squirrel count is in double figures, I like watching her being free and following her instinct, in any other area she is kept on a lead for the sake of 'cats'.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Sat Dec 14 2013, 20:27

Sorry it can't help you, Oz chases anything and everything given the chance often pulling my arm out if it's socket as he's always on the lead
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Dec 14 2013, 20:37

Not sure what can be done really because like you say its their natural instinct! Luckily Daisy's not too bad!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 14 2013, 20:41

Darcy's not to bad thankfully, she quite laid back Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 14 2013, 20:43

I'm afraid I can't offer any encouraging advice, it is an age old problem. In my experience any animal except a dog - cat, squirrel, rat or mouse - that runs like hell from a dog will awaken the chase instinct which runs like strong wine through the dog's system. This was even true with my first Dobermann who was raised from birth until 3 months old with cats and regarded them as friends. If she met a cat which stood its ground she would try to make friends and inevitably received a scratched face for her trouble, I felt so sorry for her as she was always so puzzled by this reaction. However, if the cat ran the chase instinct would kick in and she would chase it like any other dog.

Cats and dogs will always be enemies - my personal opinion is that they competed for the same prey food way back and it is hard-wired into them - and most cat owners and dog owners accept this. If a tree is available then the cat will escape up it and no harm done.

Back to top Go down

Post by TS06 Sun Dec 15 2013, 23:56

Thanks to all for your comments, it's really appreciated.

The term "to fight like cats and dogs" didn't just appear out of nowhere. It's natural that they don't get on and probably exceptional when they do. I may be fighting a losing battle on this one.

I took the little chap to a trainer last year, who thought that she could make a controlled introduction to her cat, but it failed dismally. I think she may even have made him worse  I dont want to s 

TS06
TS06

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 16 2013, 16:31

I reckon you need to put him on a lead where cats are are around. My girls are brought up with cats and live in harmony with them but when they see a stranger cat they are interested especially Lola who would give chase given the chance. Good recall and a lead are the only answer  biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Dec 16 2013, 16:50

All that I can advise is that he's a terrier.. my dog also has a very high prey drive and if it's there, it's there. She's never off lead around cats or other animals other than dogs, I just would never get a cat while she's still with us! Sorry! A strong leave and recall would possibly help if the problem the problem is mild, but as you will know terrier's as a breed are stubborn, willful and bred to chase!
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by TS06 Mon Dec 16 2013, 18:56

Rachel33 wrote:All that I can advise is that he's a terrier.. my dog also has a very high prey drive and if it's there, it's there. She's never off lead around cats or other animals other than dogs, I just would never get a cat while she's still with us! Sorry! A strong leave and recall would possibly help if the problem the problem is mild, but as you will know terrier's as a breed are stubborn, willful and bred to chase!

Thanks, I accept that this is a part of his nature. When we are in an area where we expect cats, he is on a lead. Where we are not completely in the countryside, but in a relatively controlled area with friends and their dogs, I'd like to let him off to play with his doggy chums without fear that a cat wandering onto the scene is going to change the landscape from one of joy and banter into a Damian Hirst canvas.

I will work on his recall, focusing on the moment that his red mist is about to descend. Some carefully managed walks on a long leash in cat-rich environments coming up Smile

Thanks all.
TS06
TS06

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Dec 16 2013, 20:35

TS06 wrote:I'd like to let him off to play with his doggy chums without fear that a cat wandering onto the scene is going to change the landscape from one of joy and banter into a Damian Hirst canvas.

Ah this made me laugh.. sorry lol! To be fair, most cats are very quick and will get out of the way pretty swiftly, though not is always the case and unfortunately I have known of dogs to be quicker! I exercise Biscuit with a 50ft long police training lead attached to her harness, she is scared of men and unknown dogs as well as having a ridiculous prey drive, so if I see something that may be a trigger coming into her eyeline I can hold onto the line, call her back and give an alternative command such as "sit" or "watch me" and keep her focus until said scary/fun thing is out of the way! "Watch me" takes some practise, and if whatever it is, is within Biscuit's "safe distance" it all goes out of the window and she ends up in a panicked heap on the floor no matter what the distraction or food in my hand.. You may well find that your boy finds cats way too overly exciting and more of a reward than what you're offering.. if that makes sense?! Depends how severe the reaction is really Smile Good luck though, keep us updated Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 16 2013, 22:35

My harv was socialized with cats as a pup, but my ambull Chance wasn't at all, and would kill a cat if he caught it.

They have both killed wild rabbits in the past but i would never want either to harm a cat though

Back to top Go down

Post by densil Tue Feb 04 2014, 13:30

Densil has a high prey drive too, I never walk him off lead, only on a training line when we are in a park area and even then I have to keep him away from bushes in case there are cats hiding in there. If we pass by a house where there is a cat laying in the driveway and he sees it first he nearly pulls my arm off trying to get to it. Also, he remembers the houses where the cats live, so when we walk by he is always looking through the gates. He did catch a wild cat once and they had a bit of a fight and the cat came off worst although it is still alive.
densil
densil
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Curbing instinct to chase cats.... a lost cause? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Densil
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down