billysgirl
flipearl13
Ben
Steve
janey
Soz
12 posters

Go down

Are Chase and I eligible ?? Empty Are Chase and I eligible ??

Post by Soz Mon Nov 21 2011, 18:20

Hello everyone!
I am a mature lady of 55 years who retired to the country 8 months ago with a dream of at last getting a dog.
My friend runs an animal rescue centre and rescued a cross staffie that was about to be put to sleep. I collected him today from the kennels and have fallen in love with him. Love Struck He is black with a white chest and brindle markings and very very loveable and is following me everywhere!!

My question is whether we are welcome on here with him only being a cross. He seems to look a lot like a staffie but I know nothing about this breed and hope that by joining this site I can get all my questions answered.

He is 9 months old and is booked to be neutered this Wednesday. I dont know his weight at the moment.

My main questions at the moment are: How often do you feed? How much do you feed? What time do you feed? How soon after feeding will he need to go to the loo? I have had him since 10 this morning and he has done three wee's but no poo's Rolling Eyes He must be due one Laughing

I've enclosed a photo and welcome any help. Thanks a lot. Sue and Chase x

Are Chase and I eligible ?? P1050171
Soz
Soz
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Are Chase and I eligible ?? Empty Re: Are Chase and I eligible ??

Post by janey Mon Nov 21 2011, 18:23

Hi & Are Chase and I eligible ?? Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Are Chase and I eligible ?? Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Are Chase and I eligible ?? Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Are Chase and I eligible ?? Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Are Chase and I eligible ?? Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Are Chase and I eligible ?? Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Are Chase and I eligible ?? Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 18:30

Welcome aboard! Of course you are welcome! We have quite a few members with cross breed on here!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Mon Nov 21 2011, 18:31

this forum is for everyone Smile Tongues

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Nov 21 2011, 18:40

Mines a rescue to, you more than welcome, as long as we get to see some more pics Wink

I feed Moo in the morning about 8 and in the evening anywhere between 6-8, just make sure you leave it about an hour before and after exersize.

As to the amount, the food your using will give a guidline, go from there and then judge it on his weight and build.

Congrats on your new boy Big Grin

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Nov 21 2011, 18:50

Welcome and congrats on the new addition! Chase is lookin' good! I feed mine raw and on such a diet he gets about a 2-3% of his weight as he is full size at nearly 2. I also give him about 1/4 cup of freeze dried mixture of roughage and some offal. I feed in the evening (4:30-6PM depending on excercise) and mine usually goes when we go out first thing in the AM around 6ish. He sometimes goes also in the late evening between 8-9PM. It is different when feeding raw than kibble so if kibble, follow the directions. If you go raw, a 9 month old is still growing and you will need to feed more than what I do (about 2x what I am feeding) based on weight.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by flipearl13 Mon Nov 21 2011, 19:07

welcome fellow newbie!

-from me and Noa
flipearl13
flipearl13

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Noa
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by billysgirl Mon Nov 21 2011, 19:33

Hiya Sue and Chase welcome to the forum wave

billysgirl

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by appollo13102000 Mon Nov 21 2011, 19:42

Big Grin welcome
appollo13102000
appollo13102000

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : ruby/ nigel
Dog(s) Ages : 9 and 7ish
Dog Gender(s) : female/male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara J Mon Nov 21 2011, 19:56

Hey and welcome from Alfie and I Smile
Lara J
Lara J
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Nov 21 2011, 20:29

Hi Sox and welcome from me and Rocky, also a rescue and Staffy cross.

Did the rescue centre tell you what Chase what eating and how often, if not it may be worth giving them a quick phone call in the morning. If you change his food suddenly this will upset his tummy (runny bum syndrome).

We feed Rocky at about 7.30 in the morning then at about 5pm for dinner. He also has treats throughout the day but we don't go over his daily amount of food (treats are included in the amount)

Rocky was about the same age when we got him. He was on Burgess Sensitive then and we went by the pack guidline amounts. We just let him go outside every hour to begin with so he knew where to go to the toilet. We, that is my hubby and I, both slept on the sofa the first few nights until he was settled in a bit we have his bed in the lounge. Always make sure there is fresh water for Sox to drink and an open door to outside fairly soon afterwards.

A link below for Burgess Food guiline amount to feed

http://www.burgesspetcare.co.uk/pet-care/supadog-feeding.html

You may want some chew toys too, anything like this should be fine, see link below

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nylabone-N215-Puppy-Bone-Wolf/dp/B0002ASO74/ref=sr_1_44?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1321906817&sr=1-44

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need any other advice, very friendly crowd here.

Last edited by kathytake2 on Wed Nov 23 2011, 10:22; edited 1 time in total
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 20:52

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. Follow the guidelines that are on the food and you will get to know your dog's schedule in a week or so. Congrats on the rescue.

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Nov 21 2011, 21:17

hia from me and sasha,well done on the rescue,very cute Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 21:26

Hi there, of course you're welcome, and well done on the rescue! If you get any problems, or just fancy a chat - we're here! Big Grin

bbimson wrote: I feed mine raw and on such a diet he gets about a 2-3% of his weight as he is full size at nearly 2. I also give him about 1/4 cup of freeze dried mixture of roughage and some offal. I feed in the evening (4:30-6PM depending on excercise) and mine usually goes when we go out first thing in the AM around 6ish. He sometimes goes also in the late evening between 8-9PM. It is different when feeding raw than kibble so if kibble, follow the directions. If you go raw, a 9 month old is still growing and you will need to feed more than what I do (about 2x what I am feeding) based on weight.

Very good advice. If you're feeding dry or tinned food, start off giving the guidance amounts on the pack. Then if you think he looks either too thin or too fat, you can adjust accordingly.

At 9 months I'd feed twice a day, morning and evening, the times depending on when you walk him. Don't feed less than 2 hours before or after a walk.

As for the poos, he'll get round to it eventually! He's probably too wrapped up in his new surroundings to have thought about it yet. Laughing Mine goes during his morning walk, then again during his afternoon walk. He'll also sonetimes go when I take him for a late night short walk before bed.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Nov 21 2011, 21:46

Caryll wrote:

At 9 months I'd feed twice a day, morning and evening, the times depending on when you walk him. Don't feed less than 2 hours before or after a walk.

2 hours I am sure is ideal, although not an option for some! It would mean getting up at 5am everyday!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 21:59

janey wrote:
Caryll wrote:

2 hours I am sure is ideal, although not an option for some! It would mean getting up at 5am everyday!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

In that case, I'd feed an hour after a walk, or just feed once a day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 08:39

hello and welcome

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 08:54

Hi and welcome from me, Millie and Bella Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 11:26

'mmmmmmmmm....the staffie force is strong with this one' Welcome form Tyson and me (with apologies to George Lucas)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 13:22

Hi there Sue and Chase wave and Welcome from Me and RoXy.

Of course you're Welcome here thumbs up
My girl is also a X , and have always felt very welcome here.

We love pics here, so if you've got more to share we'd love to see them, and if and when you have any other questions, don't be shy as we're a very friendly bunch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soz Tue Nov 22 2011, 18:12

Thank you to everyone who has so warmly welcomed me to this board. You have made my x staffie ownership feel a little less daunting to know there is a wealth of info and help available here.

Things are going ok and Chase is showing to be a lovely and calm dog, apart from one problem. I walked him at 8 pm last night and at 9.15 pm I found he had left a lovely smelly pile of poo in my bedroom alongside a wee Crying or Very sad

Then again today after our morning walk and half an hour later he left yet another pile of poo but this time in my living room Crying or Very sad

Since then, I let him loose in the back garden for the first time and he actually did a wee and a poo. I gave loads of praise and a couple of treats so am now praying that he might get the message that this is where he should do his business. Could it be that he just dosnt want to poo when on his lead??

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks. Sue
Soz
Soz

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Nov 22 2011, 18:17

Sounds silly but some just prefer going in a certain place and if his is the garden, rather than walks then so be it!

You have done the right thing by lots of praise when he went and just make sure any mishaps, you clean thoroughly.

Basic traing I am afraid and he will settle in, its daunting for you both but He will learn, and if it has to be the garden for now then great Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22 2011, 21:21

Soz wrote:I walked him at 8 pm last night and at 9.15 pm I found he had left a lovely smelly pile of poo in my bedroom alongside a wee Crying or Very sad

Then again today after our morning walk and half an hour later he left yet another pile of poo but this time in my living room Crying or Very sad

Since then, I let him loose in the back garden for the first time and he actually did a wee and a poo. I gave loads of praise and a couple of treats so am now praying that he might get the message that this is where he should do his business. Could it be that he just dosnt want to poo when on his lead??

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks. Sue

It could be that his previous owners rarely took him out & so he doesn't realise he can go to the toilet outside! So he was holding it till he came in poor lad! The only way you can combat this is to take him out first thing in the morning before you even let him out into the garden, and stay out until he does his business. Then LOADS of praise & maybe a couple of treats. If he goes in the garden, then praise again, but perhaps not quite as enthusiastic. If he has an accident in the house, then totally ignore it (apart from clearing it up of course!). He'll soon get there.

He's also still in that settling down period and he may still be a bit anxious, which is throwing out his body clock. I'm sure that after a couple more days he'll fit in with the routine!

Back to top Go down

Post by i love leah and lois Tue Nov 22 2011, 21:48

Hiya and welcome.And thankyou for rescueing chase
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Nov 22 2011, 23:16

Hello wave
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 14:21

welcome to you and Chase.. he looks a gorgeous fella. Well done on rescuing him..look forward to lots of pics of him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 17:10

Most welcome with cross or pedigree I am the proud owner of three staffyxlabradorxjackrussells and i had a very warm welcome, its a great site with loads of info for newbies, welcome, he's gorgeous by the way, always fantastic to know another staff is out of those shelters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 14:28

Welcome to the forum from me and my girls Kita & Izzy wave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down