Bitting as a puppy

5 posters

Go down

Bitting as a puppy Empty Bitting as a puppy

Post by cmt Fri May 06 2011, 11:44

Hi, I'll take any advice on board on this one. Basically Nala is most definitely my hubby's baby, she does favour him over everyone in the house, if there's a choice she'll sit and lie on him which is fine. However, she also listens to him more than anyone else which isn't a problem. When she's excited as a puppy she used to bite quite a lot, however she has got a lot better with this, but she is far worse with the kids than us! I do try to tell them to tell her no and not make a fuss until she calms down, but she will just bite them for no reason, not nastily but playful, it's like a lack of respect for them, although she loves them and waits by the kitchen door for them to come down in the mornings! Thing is because she's little she does hurt them when she bites, and doesn't seem to listen to them. How is it best to deal with this and why only them? On the weekend after we wake we bring her to bed for cuddles and she does get very excited and bite us but we correct her and she does listen, but again with the kids it's a bit of a nightmare. Will this be something she will grow out of?
Thanks
cmt
cmt
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Bitting as a puppy Empty Re: Bitting as a puppy

Post by Guest Fri May 06 2011, 12:06

she will be seeing the kids in a lower ranking than the adults she will settle down a great deal with time she is just trying to see how high she can get in the pecking order.
the best advice i can give is when she nips the kids get them to tell her no and dont be frightend ov her show there athority and geet them to put her in the cool down area crate/OTHER ROOM becouse if its just you and your partner giving the telling offs it will take her a lot longer to gauge her standin g in the orderr ov things

Back to top Go down

Post by cmt Fri May 06 2011, 12:12

Ok thanks, maybe I'll give that a try. At the moment they do say NO but she doesn't seem to be that bothered, she even tries to get at their shoes when they're wearing them! Don't get me wrong, she shows an interest in my shoes but I tell her NO. Thing is she is able to hurt them by bitting too. I'll maybe get them to put her in her crate then if she bites, however, I think this will mean she'll be spending a lot of time in there!
cmt
cmt

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06 2011, 12:17

I think Warren's right, you need to get the kids to do the same as you. It isn't easy, because kids have higher voices and are more 'playful' than adults, so the pup associates them with siblings/play things. Get the kids to try and lower their voices, make them deeper, it might help.

The good new is that she will clam down as she gets older and it will lessen, but the kids have to be able to take control when it gets out of hand.

I had exactly this with mine - Dempsey will, even now, nibble at my son's feet/ankles because he won't tell him "no". At least now that Dempsey is no longer a pup, he doesn't sink his teeth in (Aaaaaaaaggghhh! needle sharp puppy teeth!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06 2011, 12:18

staffies dont like being alone she will quickly learn nip and she alone for a few minutes you will be suprised how quick she will catch on
we are all feel like cruel owners when we bring up are pups right lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Fri May 06 2011, 12:18

We had this with Bruno and kinda still have as he is 18 weeks today, He used to nip the kids feet and finger and pull at their clothes, my son he still does put on clothes specially the curfs of sweatshirts/hoodies, my little girl it seems to be her shoes, but we just keep giving a firm no and turn our backs on him.

Good luck and hopefully Nala will grow out of it. Big Grin
Bruno311210
Bruno311210
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 07 2011, 02:45

I remember Jethro as a pup, we were covered in bite marks on our hands....and Winston is no different!! When he is playing you can hear his choppers cracking together when he gets excited..trying to bite. If I am wearing long pants he grabs them and tries to have tug a wars..even at his young age!! I mean he is only just 7 weeks! Oh the joys of a puppy..!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 07 2011, 05:29

It's not easy, but you have to find what works for you and yoour situation. All pups, and situations are different. I had big trouble with my Roxy when she was a very young pup and even now at 4 1/2 months still likes to use her mouth a lot.
Perseverence is the key. I tried countless methods and in the end if Roxy was nipping/biting we would have to restrain her. We don't use a crate, so we have a leash attached to our entertainment unit inside the house (it's VERY heavy so she can't drag it anywhere) and a 3 MTR cable in the back yard. If she is jumping and biting and not listening to commands or being ignored, she gets restrained until she calms down. When we let her off if she still does the wrong thing she goes straight back on again , repeating until she gets the right idea. This seems to work for us and our situation. It also means that she is still near us, and can see and hear what we are all doing but has to behave correctly.
Also, as hard as it is for the little ones ( your children) they should try not to run away, flap there arms and legs around trying to get pup to stop, and they should also try not to speak too high-pitched. Pup sees all of these things as FUN and a great game.
Hope this has been of some help to you. Keep at it , and things will improve.

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Sat May 07 2011, 10:09

we're in the same boat too. I had to laugh at loopy's reply we have 2 out of 3 'happy flappers here' lol!

Our kids are 7, 4 and 2 1/2 and the eldest remembers our other 2 dogs (staff and JRT) and she so is much more confident but the little one also a girl was a newborn and the boy in the middle just 2 so little memory. Plus the dogs were brilliantly behaved as they weren't lively pups wanting to play at every opportunity! It's the clothes pulling really and by accident he has nipped their skin on a few occasions, including my sons' ear! It's hard getting the little ones to do the right thing but as their confidence improves so has the nipping. And of course when they run what happens he chases! but trying to get them to stop is not that easy, but again it's improving as they've changed their behavior!

Like I say the 7 y/o has the confidence to correct him but the little 2 are like I also say 'happy flappers' lol. I'm sure as he grows things will settle even more. Tommorrow is break out day for all of us (whoop whoop) after the final jab. so I'm confidence things will change. Apart from pinching shoes and clothing he's not chewing the house up but then he raw bones so I'm thinking he satisfies his chewing needs there.

We've also wondered if this is why he's been rehomed. Maybe a family took him on a cute little puppy who's nipping they couldn't control and work through? Just a thought.....we all need to keep at it and be as consistent as possible.............. easier said than done with kids eh!! Big Grin Tongues
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Bitting as a puppy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sat May 07 2011, 14:07

How old are your kids? If they are old enough to manage you could try to let them teach Nala some tricks or work on basic skills she already knows (sit, shake, spin.. easy things). Having the kids tell her what to do and praise her when she does well can help show her they're above her on the pack hierarchy. Also, I know some make sure to always give their kids a little something to eat before the puppy is fed (half a bisquit or proper meal, whatever suits the timing). I have more faith in the first one, but the second certainly wouldn't do any harm.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 8903jared Mon May 09 2011, 01:33

I can almost guarantee this one... Its worked a treat with Duke.

Get a water spray bottle and just give them a little spray in the face when he bites... I only had to do it 2 or 3 times and he hasnt bitten since!
8903jared
8903jared
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content