Give me strength!

4 posters

Go down

Give me strength!  Empty Give me strength!

Post by suzieJ Mon Nov 25 2013, 21:34

Lucy is only 3 mths old so I know shouldn't complain - but she is so wilful.
When I say NO! she runs snaps/ bites my fingers ((ouch))
Trying to catch her to put her into the kitchen for time-out; is near impossible as she is scooting all over the room and jumping onto furniture, and if I do catch her I've got 6kg of dog fighting to get away.

Other times she is wonderful and then all is forgotten until next time.
My muscles in my arms are hurting like hell with forcibly holding onto her to put her in the kitchen. The time has risen from 5 minutes up to 15 minutes to give her time to quieten down.Tomorrow I'm considering to leave her there for 30 minutes.

I give her two 30 minute walks morning and evening and even after the walk she is snapping at your fingers when taking her lead off. "I will give her more walks if needed but the vet said 1 hour of walking is enough?

I feed her on two meals of Orijen complete 80% protein/ 20% veg and fruit plus one meal of raw chicken mince.
suzieJ
suzieJ
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Give me strength!  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy & Franky
Dog(s) Ages : Lucy 4 yrs Franky 3 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female / Male
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Give me strength!  Empty Re: Give me strength!

Post by Sara n Ozzy Mon Nov 25 2013, 21:44

I'm sorry I can't help as we didn't have Oz as a puppy but I know someone will be along shortly to help you
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Mon Nov 25 2013, 21:48

Our 2 have always had their 'mad' moments when they run round the house like lunatics, over furniture, beds, etc. We just laugh and ignore them.......... Not helpful I know, and sorry, but they do grow out of it. We're kind of missing the loopy stages now they're nearly 2 and getting 'sensible' Laughing  x
jo garnett
jo garnett

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 25 2013, 22:00

Pups should get no more than 5 minutes lead walking per month of age, two or three times a day.

You could be over-tiring her.

Do you point a finger at her when you say no?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 26 2013, 00:15

Oh puppies! Adorable, sweet as a row of sugar cubes, but sometimes difficult to fathom what is going on in their little minds.

In addition to Caryll's questions, please can ask something else? Which is:-

Why do you feel the need to shut her into your kitchen for a time-out? Is it to give you a break from her constant puppy demands, or as an attempt to get her to calm down? Does she have a comfy crate or bed to retire to in the kitchen? How long is she shut in the kitchen for (once you get her there!) and how does she behave when she's in there (cries and barks or settles down?) and once she rejoins you?

I'll leave for now the getting her into the kitchen problem because a lot depends on your answers.

Sorry about all the questions, but your answers will help us to help you further! Give me strength!  3198918699 

Back to top Go down

Post by suzieJ Tue Nov 26 2013, 05:38

Ok - Where do I start, probably by telling you I'm typing this in bed at  5am as I cannot sleep with trying to solve this problem?
I don't feel stressed and when I'm up with her at 7am  this morning I will start saying to myself "wipe the slate clean and start again"

First question Caryll - On occasion I have pointed my finger but mostly I've just held my hand out with palm downwards and then I say No!  (I would bend down to her level but I know she would jump up and snap at my face!!!)
When I do say no she curls her lip up or growls, her tail is always wagging.

Getting down to her level on the floor to have a play is out of the question because playing to her is just another chance to get closer to start snapping.

Linda- Lucy goes in the kitchen when I'm trying to stop her biting me, believe me when she lunges forward and tries to connect with my face it is very threatening.

When I say No! - when she is insisting on getting onto my lap, she will start nipping at my legs. I've tried walking away and ignoring her but she will only jump up and bite my backside.

We keep her cage in the living room with us? - she sleeps in there without any problem through the night - this is her own little domain and the cage is open through the day for her to enter whenever she wants to.

The kitchen leads straight into the living room- the dividing door is half glass. She hasn't got anything to curl up on, so may be this will have to be our first priority. Either by moving her crate in there or getting some more bedding.
Time out was just a few minutes then it when to 5 minutes through to 15 minutes. It depends if she is in there to just chill or if she is naughty."  If its for 5 minutes- when she is naughty- as soon as I open the door she will start nipping again!

As soon  as I think ((WOW!)) she is such a wonderful puppy; then my heart gives a jolt when she shows her teeth before having another snapping session. Smile Sad Smile Sad 
By the way its not just me its everyone - no one can lift her up without getting bitten.
Our love is there just waiting for her to reciprocate. Crying or Very sad 

(I will shorten her walking to just 30 minutes a day and see how that goes as I only want the best for her)
suzieJ
suzieJ

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Nov 26 2013, 12:39

Hello! Aww sounds like you have your hands full there! I just wanted to say, I wouldn't put your hand up or point or do anything with them when saying "no" as your pup might see this as a sign to play or something to jump up at. Try putting your hands behind your back and saying a stern "no" that way there's nothing for her to jump at.

When she starts biting always have a toy to hand if you can and put that in her mouth, this worked for my mum's puppy!
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by suzieJ Tue Nov 26 2013, 12:46

I will try to hide my hands Debs, as for the toy - I have one at the side of me at all times and it hasn't alter things much. But I will keep trying. Smile 
suzieJ
suzieJ

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Nov 26 2013, 15:33

I think the main thing is being persistant with it, every time she goes to nip you put the toy in her mouth instead and eventually she will get it Big Grin

I know puppydom is hard sometimes but don't worry it does get better and better!

Someone else with more experience will be along soon to help I'm sure!
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down