Puppy appetite

+2
Sazzle
Rexxy
6 posters

Go down

Puppy appetite Empty Puppy appetite

Post by Rexxy Thu Nov 14 2013, 13:17

Hi, just wanting to get a bit of advice about feeding etc. I have a 15 week old pup who always acts like he's never been fed before in his entire little life! It's really getting me down because he has to be hand fed because he has made himself sick/bloat up when he was allowed to eat by himself. He gets fed 3 - 4 times a day on Nature's Harvest puppy food (wet), it's not a cheap food at all so I would have thought it would be filling etc. Watching him eat is actually disgusting, he struggles to breathe because he doesn't come up for air, everything is literally gone within 2 mouthfuls. I know puppies are greedy but this is a whole new level, none of my other dogs were ever this greedy as a pup. He even sneaks off into the kitchen several times a day to lick the floor in hope he will find some leftover food bits.

Does anybody else have a Puppy this greedy?? Or any tips or food recommendations etc as his current food clearly doesn't seem to be hitting the spot! Thanks to anybody who replies.

Rexxy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy appetite Empty Re: Puppy appetite

Post by Sazzle Thu Nov 14 2013, 13:21

I know you can buy special bowls to slow down eating and avoid bloat, like this

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/slow-eating-dog-dish
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 14 2013, 21:16

The "slowing down eating bowl" as Saz recommended would be the best place to start, I feel, before you start swapping foodstuffs about. See how he goes with eating for himself and if the bowl stops him from being sick through overloading his stomach with food and probably air.

You're obviously an experienced puppy owner, so I won't ask about worming as presumably you have that under control.

Maybe he is just a greedy little piggy and you just need to slow down his rate of intake. Do let us know how you get on with bowl.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Fri Nov 15 2013, 13:18

I have bought a slow feed bowl for Pebbles two weeks ago. Like your pup she was inhaling her food in less than 10 seconds. Then she'd burp and had lots of wind. The new bowl has slowed her down a little...now it takes her about 1 minute to gobble the lot.
I just don't understand why she eats so fast, she too acts as if i never feed her and she spends her time looking for bits and pieces to eat all day long. I mentioned it to the vet but she seems healthy and has been wormed regularly so I guess she is just greedy!
Pebbles
Pebbles
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pebbles
Dog(s) Ages : 20 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Princessfishbag Sun Nov 17 2013, 15:18

JerryLee is 11weeks and exactly the same, every meal is the the first thing he's eaten in days (you would think!!) I also had feed him (he is exclusively fed raw which he adores and is thriving!!) which can be annoying but is a great way to really cement the bond between you and your puppy Smile

Princessfishbag

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : JerryLee
Dog(s) Ages : 11 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by donsey Sun Nov 17 2013, 19:50

I have a 19 week old and he did the same but my vet told me to put a ball in his bowl to slow him down so he would have to move the ball to get to it, so i put to golf balls into bowl and he has slowed down eating it but you would still think its his first or last meal when he sees his bowl lol and still looks for more after
donsey
donsey
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Millie & Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : 4 1/2 yrs & 25 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Mon Nov 18 2013, 01:03

I've had this problem with Zeus ever since I've had him, he's now almost 2 but still eats pretty fast.

The things I found that slowed him down were the slowing down bowl already mentioned on this thread, I also used to put another bowl upside down into his main bowl, so he could only eat around the edges to get his food.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down