Any advice for a potential staffy owner?

+2
Ben
S6754
6 posters

Go down

Any advice for a potential staffy owner? Empty Any advice for a potential staffy owner?

Post by S6754 Sat Mar 17 2012, 15:04

Hi,

So as per the title really. My other half has been begging me for years to own a dog. She grew up around labradors and had a collie. I've never had any interaction with dogs apart from fussing the inlaws labrador when we / they visit. I've found myself recently warming to the idea and the folks on another forum recommended a staffy. I'm still not 100% on getting a dog, I want to find out as much as I can and be comfortable with the idea before agreeing.

We have lots of other pets, but the only free range one is our house cat. I also have an indoor turtle pond. I could build the sides of the pond up so that's not an issue but I am concerned about our cat. He has had interaction with the inlaws labrador which began with him swatting at the poor dogs head! (dog was scared and hid) But recently when they bring it over our cat completely ignores it. So I'm sure our cat would be fine in that sense but whether the dog would be as calm towards our cat is a worry for me.

We have 2 kids, aged 9 and 12 and a small, securely fenced back garden with a very shallow wildlife pond (18" at the deepest with a gradual slope out). I went for a walk today to have a look to see if there was any decent dog walking areas aside from just the footpaths and found a nice long woodland walk. We also have 2 huge playing fields near by and a small nature reserve a few mins away. My other half is disabled and I'm her full time carer so I'm home pretty much all the time which means a dog would have company for the majority of the day and I could take it outside throughout the day.

Vet wise, we use one 20 mins away for the cat and have done for years. They have a health plan that's a fixed rate of £16.50 for dogs that covers everything except for any pre-existing illness or emergency after hours care.

I've had some recommendations for food on another forum but would be interested to hear what people use on here.

Oh I should say we would be looking at a rescue staffy and intend just having a look at some point next week at the rescue my other half got her collie from. That will be purely to have a look. Not to come home with anything! Neither of us have been up close and personal with a staffy so we'd like to have a bit of an introduction before we go any further.

So, any advice or thoughts for me?

S6754
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Any advice for a potential staffy owner? Empty Re: Any advice for a potential staffy owner?

Post by Guest Sat Mar 17 2012, 15:12

I am really biased so my recommendation would be to get a rescue staff. That been said, Staffies do require a lot of time and effort only because they are a powerful breed and it is the responsible thing to ensure your dog is well trained. They are definitely people dogs and so like human company a lot of the time. They also are high energy and require a lot of structured and off lead walks. If you have the time and patience to open your life to this breed ( or a X) you will be rewarded beyond measure as a more loving and faithful dog is hard to find.

Back to top Go down

Any advice for a potential staffy owner? Empty Re: Any advice for a potential staffy owner?

Post by Ben Sat Mar 17 2012, 15:15

Well of course we all love the Staffs here, but you should beware that they are not the easiest dog for a first timer as they need a firm hand (however they are also sensitive - like little girls). If your OH has raised dogs it should be ok, but you should be prepared that they do need exercise daily and you will have to work with them on the cat issue as normally they can have high prey drive. It will really depend on the dog. They are great with kids though and sometimes seem to prefer them! If you explain carefully to the rescue center what you need and want hopefully they can help find the perfect one.
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Sat Mar 17 2012, 15:20

So, any advice or thoughts for me
Never buy expensive shoes!

But seriously well done for rescuing a dog. If you've never had a staffy before you might find some of their behaviour a bit...odd. A lot of new staffy owners get concerned their dog is aggressive but the dog is just playing! Staffies love to play hard with other dogs and will body slam, play bite and make awful rumbling, chuntering noises like velocioraptors. A lot of staffies don't like to play fetch, my dogs attitude is, well you threw it, I got it-why should you have it back?
Most staffies will ignore pain as that's how they were bred so it's important when out on walks to look out for broken glass etc and not let the dog overexert themselves. A staffy will happily run with you for 24 hours without complaining, its only when they collapse that you realise you've let them over do it.
You can get rescue dogs that have been tested with cats. My dog desperately tried to be friends with our old cat before he passed away but was rebuked at every attempt. He is now great friends with our kitten and loves all small furries.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Mar 17 2012, 16:50

They are very intelligent dogs and can work out alot of ways to get too what they shouldnt be getting too lol so make sure you plan your house with that in mind.
My ex has a staffy cross who live's quite happily with two house rabbits and 3 chinchillas. he will let the Chins bounce on him and not give a care in the world unless they jump on his head while he is asleep. one of them, sherry even likes nibbling his nails!
as for the playing...I'm dog sitting Riley for Claire now, she dropped him off at 12 and him and marley are still tearing around the house hanging of each others scruffs. I'm gonna walk them in a mo and try and wear them out a bit in the field.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by willowthewisp Sat Mar 17 2012, 18:15

i would say yes yes to a staffy! esp a rescue 1 you can look on internet eg rspca for staffies available ! i was dubious about a staffy before i got 1 but they are super best thing ive ever done getting a rescue staffy infact i now have 2! the rspca will tell you if they are good with cats and other animals most are slightly damaged in some way but its people like you and me that help these beauties! you can also get pet insurance cheaper than that depends on what you get for your money? let forum know what you decide.
willowthewisp
willowthewisp
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Any advice for a potential staffy owner? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : willow and chester
Dog(s) Ages : willow 3 years chester 2
Dog Gender(s) : willow female chester male
Support total : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 17 2012, 18:16

Im sorry, im too tired to read the whole post. But if you want to get a staff that will not hurt your cat it might be better to get a puppy that will at first be smaller than the cat, so the cat will show it who is boss from the get go! Just my opinion though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Mar 17 2012, 19:59

As Rocky came from a rescue centre I would have to say for go a rescue dog there are so many that need loving homes.

As for going to a rescue centre and not leaving with one well that's exactly what happened to us just before Christmas 2010. Yes just went to have a look around only someone had decided they would love to come home with us. We are so pleased he chose to live with us. Rocky is a Staffy cross with either a collie or labrador, we think lab.

There is no way we would be without him now he is part of the family and our baby as we don't have any children and we love him to bits.

As for food recommendation we feed James Wellbeloved there are others that are just as good please see link below:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

Last edited by kathytake2 on Sat Mar 17 2012, 20:01; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added further info & link)
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18 2012, 00:26

The rescue center should be able to advise you on the best dog for your situation. If the dog is used to being around cats there shouldn't be any issues but if they are not used to cats there could be a problem so it's always best to ask.

Staffy's are great dogs and very loving as well as loyal. That being said they do require alot of training and exercise. At a minimum they have to be walked twice a day for 45 minutes. If they aren't exercised they can be a handfull.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 18 2012, 00:27

Almost forgot, take a look at the website it has a ton of usefull information

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 12:08

I have a staffy and a cat. The cat wants to be kennys friend, but he continually chases her. All staffs are different. My other staffy ( sadley passed away) was best mates with the cat. My advice would be to introduce them quietly at first. Limit the room the dog can go to for a little while but leaving the cat do her thing. Kenny doesnt bite the cat, but does ram her with his head. I dont allow him to chase and correct him when he does. good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 12:10

Sorry fogot to say, best family dogs. x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 12:22

So, have you been to the rescue centre yet? If so, have you been able to leave without wanting every single one of them? Big Grin

Seriously, they are a great breed. I know we have to say that (being as it's a staffy forum!) but it's true. They are fun loving, mischeivous & kind. Your kids will love him/her and can help with the training! Fantastic with children as long as the children know when to stop (the staff probably won't!).

They do usually need a fair bit of exercise, about 45 minutes (minimum) twice a day (minimum!) and do well on mental stimulations as well (finding hidden toys/treats around the house). They also respond well to learning tricks, so your kids could take over that side of it!

Good luck - you won't regret it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down