+2
Rosie3
cesca1
6 posters

Go down

Dog walkers Empty Dog walkers

Post by cesca1 Thu Sep 26 2013, 00:04

Hi every one,

So the good and bad news is that I'm having to work longer hours. Therefore I need to get a walker in during the day for an hour or so 3 days per week. Does anyone have any hints or tips on finding somebody? The other option is day boarding in kennels and I'm going to check them out over the weekend. Try as I might I can't find any online kennel reviews, does anybody know where to go online?

I live in Chester if anybody has recommendations for the area?

Thanks in advance for any replies Smile.
cesca1
cesca1
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 20.04.12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 65

Back to top Go down

Dog walkers Empty Re: Dog walkers

Post by Guest Thu Sep 26 2013, 07:00

Sorry cesca I can't help but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can Smile I'm sure you'll make the right decision on what's best for Molly Love Struck Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 26 2013, 08:45

I can only suggest your local vets they may know of someone who is near your area. Good luck Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie3 Thu Sep 26 2013, 08:56

I'm a dog walker and pet sitter, if I was in your area I'd offer to help out but alas I'm not!

You can find us on Google or petslocally, I would suggest contacting a few people and asking as many questions as you want. Leaving your dog with someone is a big thing and obviously the Trust has to be there. Smile

I always offer to meet my clients and their dogs first so they can get to know me, ask any questions they might have and so the dog can meet me also. I then offer a free of charge walk so the dog/s and I can build the trust on a one to one basis too without their owner there.

Meet a few people, feel free to turn people down if you don't think you like them or your dog likes them! Also make sure they're insured, and if they do home boarding they also need a license from the council. Smile q

Good luck!
Rosie3
Rosie3

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Thu Sep 26 2013, 09:42

Hi, again check your local vets, they should be able to recommend a few people, it's also worth stopping and asking people in your area who are out walking their dogs, they will know who is good in your area, Most of my business is done through word of mouth.  There is a register on NARPS and also the good dog guide ( Sorry if not allowed to post the names? ) where people can write reviews and recommendations on local kennels and dog walkers etc.  As above check insurance, if the dog is allowed off lead check if they are covered or if it's under a disclaimer that  the dog will be covered by your insurance.  Ask for references, any good dog walker will have them Smile Good luck Smile
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Dog walkers Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Sep 26 2013, 10:26

Have a chat with local dog owners at your local park I'm sure they would have heard of someone by word of mouth, this is usually the best way to find someone. Failling that check your local volunteer centre they sometimes know of people that will volunteer to walk dogs.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 26 2013, 10:43

I would just google local pet sitting, dog walking services biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by BetsyBoo Sat Sep 28 2013, 06:33

I went round all my local pet shops and vets to pick up cards etc. Also great to ask other dog walkers too. In the end I found my dog walker here http://www.dogwalkingnow.co.uk/
Good luck!
BetsyBoo
BetsyBoo
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Betsy
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Tue Oct 01 2013, 15:20

I have found all my (brilliant) dog walkers on Gumtree. I have also found a couple of dog walkers in the park but it has worked out that my Gumtree finds are just better. One woman in particular put in her ad that she was only looking to walk one dog as she missed her own dog at home abroad and wasn't allowed one in her apartment here. She and my dog have really bonded, it is amazing. She is a fantastic help to me and she doesn't walk Rupert with 25 other dogs. Another person works at an animal shelter and walks dogs when she can (she used to be a semi-professional athlete and she goes sprinting with Rupert until he's exhausted).

My worst experience was someone who walked dogs in the park and had a fancy business card ("professional dog walker" and so on) but he was unreliable.

Let us know what happens.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down