Common misconception about bees dying after stinging

4 posters

Go down

Common misconception about bees dying after stinging Empty Common misconception about bees dying after stinging

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 21:48

Most people believe that wasps can sting you more than once, while bees can only sting you once, at which point they die and leave the stinger behind. However, this is actually false.

Honey bees can only sting once, but most other bees don't die after they sting. It's a very common misconception, much the same as people believing that all bees and wasps are capable of stinging, when actually only the females can sting - the reason being that the sting is actually an ovipositer, which is responsible for laying eggs.

The lancets, which enclose the part of the sting that injects the venom, are smoother on solitary bees and wasps, as well as some social bumble bees. In bees such as honey bees, the lancets have large barbs which are angled against the body, so the bee cannot pull the sting back out. The sting is left behind when the bee flies off, which causes it to die.

Lovely subject, eh? Tongues

Back to top Go down

Common misconception about bees dying after stinging Empty Re: Common misconception about bees dying after stinging

Post by Sazzle Sun Sep 22 2013, 21:51

Well I've learn something there, thanks Big Grin 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Common misconception about bees dying after stinging Empty Re: Common misconception about bees dying after stinging

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 22:55

That's a great comfort Eleanor (not!).

Can bumblebees sting then (and worse, more than once?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22 2013, 23:24

Hehe, you're welcome! Tongues

Lynda, some of them can. Smile Bumble bees really aren't aggressive though! They'll almost always just bumble around, have a look at you, then buzz off again. The chances of one stinging you are extremely slim, unless you disturb a nest or try to pick one up. Social bumble bees around their nests will give warning as well, so if you hear the buzzing getting louder or more urgent, it's a sign that they're not happy with you. Smile

If a bee or a wasp comes near you and you don't like it, the best thing to do is to gently blow or waft it away - don't swat. Smile Female wasps can become aggressive at this time of year (Autumn), as they've left their hives in search of winter hibernation, so swatting is likely to antagonise it. If one lands on you, you can also sit still until it flies away. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23 2013, 08:53

That was very interesting biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23 2013, 09:01

Very informative Eleanor. I've learnt something new today, I never knew it was only the girlies can sting, I'm terrified of wasps Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Mon Sep 23 2013, 09:04

i love bees,wasps thou scare me nail biting ,
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by nicolene Iveson Mon Sep 23 2013, 09:09

Hubby keeps two hives a of bees but I never go near them as I'm alergic
nicolene Iveson
nicolene Iveson
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In an open relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Tip
Dog(s) Ages : six weeks old
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria90 Mon Sep 23 2013, 12:56

Another great post Eleanor! But sit still if a bee or something alike lands on me....very unlikely Laughing  I look like im trying out a new kind of karate Laughing 
Maria90
Maria90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months (09.01.2013)
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 453

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23 2013, 13:17

Very informative Eleanor, I was stung yesterday on the neck and somewhat took comfort in thinking the little devil would have gone to his maker! Now I don't know Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23 2013, 14:22

Laughing You're welcome, and also I'm sorry! Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23 2013, 21:46

Interesting about the bumblebees, Eleanor. I always thought they couldn't sting. I don't panic when they near me or anything, it's just when I'm rescuing them from my house into the outside world. I've always caught them in a cup or spider catcher, just in case - glad I was cautious now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 23 2013, 21:58

They usually just bounce around against the kitchen window when they get in our house, so we let them be for a while. If they still can't get out, we usually shoo them along with a magazine or something. Tongues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down